Why are all the best footballers in their mid-to-late 30s?

Callooh_Calais

Callooh_Calais

Drink Milk and Lift
Callooh_Calais said:
The rate of aging is constantly changing. What was once considered middle-aged only 50 years ago is now considered the prime of your life; What was once the prime of your life is now considered 'young': reminder that most people in the pre-industrial era didn't on average live past their late 60s if they survived the high childhood mortality rate).

Another example: Footballers. The competition is now dominated by older players. Whereas once before it was practically considered retirement age by the time you were 29, now, if they can get passed the hump of age 27, they tend to dominate even into their late 30s or early 40s: Ronaldo, Messi, Cuatehmoc Blanco (prior to his retirement, he scored a goal at the world cup in his 40s) Fernandinho, Buffon, Luka Modric, Robert Lewandowski, Ibrahimovic, etc. etc. etc.

Discuss. I notice that the peak of football competitiveness (and lord is it a physically unforgiving sport) has gone from men in their late teens and early-mid 20s (Pele was 17 at the 1958 WC), to what it is now: dominated by men who were good in their 20s, but greater in their 30s. I don't think anyone would argue that that all the aforementioned players are currently playing at the top of their level, and only getting better with no end in sight. Messi has retired twice and has come back stronger both times; Ronaldo carries Portugal singlehandedly on his shoulders.

According to this website, someone like Neymar Jr should have been able to dance all over Messi, but it just doesn't happen that way in real life because genetics trump everything else. :blackpill:

• +1
Reactions: Beetlejuice, Uglybrazilian, Acnno and 2 others
They have highest skill and their atletic abilty is worse but high skill make up for it and more
The probaly a reason

• +1
Reactions: Beetlejuice
They have highest skill and their atletic abilty is worse but high skill make up for it and more
The probaly a reason
are you drunk?

• +1
Reactions: Callooh_Calais
The probaly a reason

This is objectively wrong, seeing as 32yr old Luka Modric (happy 36th bday btw if you browse PSL forums, Luka) broke the all-time distance record in the 2018 World Cup: He covered more mileage than any other player in history (and if you remember Croatia, he was also one of the fastest players too).

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14478 and Deleted member 14848
They have more experience but their athleticism has declined. They're all relying on PEDs too.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 14848, Callooh_Calais and Pythagoras
They have more experience but their athleticism has declined. They're all relying of PEDs too.

I reiterate: Luka Modric broke the all-time distance record for *any* World cup footballer; Ronaldo ran across the entire pitch in under 10 seconds, age 36.

Your reasoning proves faulty in the face of objective real world anecdotes contrary to your notion.

Haaland and Mbappe say otherwise

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Toth's thot and Deleted member 12669
I reiterate: Luka Modric broke the all-time distance record for *any* World cup footballer; Ronaldo ran across the entire pitch in under 10 seconds, age 36.

Your reasoning proves faulty in the face of objective real world anecdotes contrary to your notion.
Look at any non-strategic athletic competition (running, swimming, lifting) and it's pretty clear that male athleticism peaks in the 20s.

Haaland and Mbappe say otherwise
Compared to how many other players in their 30s? Hazard, Virgil Van Dijk, Luis Suarez, Iniesta (who biologically is most likely closer to 55)--the list goes on, football's top flight is undeniably dominated by older players, this isn't even some projection, look at any team and the top scorers are always much older than the younger players (which defies the logic that younger players should be objectively more athletic).

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 2403
Look at any non-strategic athletic competition (running, swimming, lifting) and it's pretty clear that male athleticism peaks in the 20s.

The 2021 Olympic middleweight gold champion is a 37year old Chinaman; The current super heavyweight champions all err towards the late 20s, not the early (I'm not denying that you lose strength as you get older, but I just think that some people are so genetically gifted that they have more strength or stamina or athleticism in their late 30s than some young men do in their teens, e.g Ronaldo)

The 2021 Olympic middleweight gold champion is a 37year old Chinaman; The current super heavyweight champions all err towards the late 20s, not the early (I'm not denying that you lose strength as you get older, but I just think that some people are so genetically gifted that they have more strength or stamina or athleticism in their late 30s than some young men do in their teens, e.g Ronaldo)
You can cherrypick exceptions, but the reality is that most athletic (track and field) and swimming records are by men in their 20s. Weightlifting can peak a little later due to progressive overload.

• +1
Reactions: Niki9911
You can cherrypick exceptions, but the reality is that most athletic (track and field) and swimming records are by men in their 20s. Weightlifting can peak a little later due to progressive overload.

These aren't exceptions; These are the results from the 2020 Tokyo Olympics lol

I noticed this too not just in football but basketball too you have players that i expected to decline past a certain age still dominating in their 30

I have a theory that's it's cause of the environment and alimentation that is getting even worse.

Like those young guys you see they come into the league not really fully developed and they didn't really reach their full genetic potential i get that when your young your obviously going look less stronger than players who have been there for longer and need time but it's something else look at their body they look really underdeveloped compared to the young players of before .

Before reaching your genetic potential was easier cause there wasn't so much bs and chemical that ender you to reach it and the alimentation was better .

Plus you can clearly see that the players who dominate in their 30 are clearly less good than in their 20 its not that they are getting better its just that those players coming into the game its harder for them to really reach their full physical potential today.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7725 and Callooh_Calais
I'm not sure tbh

Lots of game experience and skill, they might now be the fastest or strongest but they know how to make good plays

I noticed this too not just in football but basketball too you have players that i expected to decline past a certain age still dominating in their 30

I have a theory that's it's cause of the environment and alimentation that is getting even worse.

Like those young guys you see they come into the league not really fully developed and they didn't really reach their full genetic potential i get that when your young your obviously going look less stronger than players who have been there for longer and need time but it's something else look at their body they look really underdeveloped compared to the young players of before .

Before reaching your genetic potential was easier cause there wasn't so much bs and chemical that ender you to reach it and the alimentation was better .

Plus you can clearly see that the players who dominate in their 30 are clearly less good than in their 20 its not that they are getting better its just that those players coming into the game its harder for them to really reach their full physical potential today.

Agreed. Messi, Ronaldo, et. al are much better now than they were 10 years ago, even physically. Modric broke the record when he was 32, not 22.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14478
Football died in 2012 ngl

The main finding of the current study is that an aging trend has occurred in the last three decades in the Champions League. A significant increase in average players’ age (>1.6 years) was observed, rising from an age of 24.9 to 26.5 years.
26.5 yo seems to be peak, else you wouldn't find most top players around this age.

As you grow older, you become way more prone to injury for example. 1 bad injury can end your carreer. Although with PEDs that all athletes are taking nowadays, healing from injuries has become easier.

The physiology of the players hasn't changed. The extended prime of professional athletes is a testament to the advancements made in sports science. They now have superior conditioning, programming, nutrition and the facilities for recovery that they didn't have 50 years ago.

• +1
Reactions: Niki9911, Uglybrazilian, Callooh_Calais and 1 other person
Agreed. Messi, Ronaldo, et. al are much better now than they were 10 years ago, even physically. Modric broke the record when he was 32, not 22.
No they’re not.

• +1
Reactions: Niki9911
Discuss. I notice that the peak of football competitiveness (and lord is it a physically unforgiving sport) has gone from men in their late teens and early-mid 20s (Pele was 17 at the 1958 WC), to what it is now: dominated by men who were good in their 20s, but greater in their 30s. I don't think anyone would argue that that all the aforementioned players are currently playing at the top of their level, and only getting better with no end in sight. Messi has retired twice and has come back stronger both times; Ronaldo carries Portugal singlehandedly on his shoulders.

According to this website, someone like Neymar Jr should have been able to dance all over Messi, but it just doesn't happen that way in real life because genetics trump everything else. :blackpill:
its because they are competing against weak ass tablet raised zoomers

no its not genetics, really its older players skills and experience is so high and alot men peak physical strengh is in their 30s. Men peak in speed from ages 18-25. If you play a sport thats doesn't depend on speed but physical strengh and explosiveness you can still compete.

It's because men peak in their 30s
Attachments 7

• JFL
  • So Sad
  • Love it
Reactions: Stevensmithgerard, Looks234, JosephGarrot123 and 1 other person
A 2-3 decades of experience + you do not really physically decline in your capacity to be an athelete by a significant amount until around late 30s, especially if you are a genetic outlier for athletic ability.

I believe sports science has evolved so much that nowadays players are reaching their peak physique levels way later than before

So niggas get in their 30's with better physiques and also more experience gained after years of playing

• +1
Reactions: Beetlejuice and AlexAP
Lifefuel for oldcels

No Ronaldo and Messi have significantly declined compared to their mit to late 20s selves. Messi was at his best under Guardiola from 09 to 13 and then again around 2015. Since then he has adapted but still physically declined. Ronaldo was undoubtedly at his best around 2013 and then also started to adapt. But he is nowhere the player he once was. They are at the top because they were sooo far ahead of their competitors that even their declined versions are still better than almost everyone. Neymar is a typical Brazilian with not a lot of discipline but a lot of injuries. Just like R9 and Ronaldinho before him.

The next big stars are Haaland and Mbappe who are in their early 20s and they will dominate in their mid to late twenties. They do it even now tbh.