why are children usually taller than their parents?

othersitedown

othersitedown

fat white woman lover
it seems like the trend is always that one generation is taller than the next, and you get looked at weirdly if your dad's taller than you.

my grandpa was 5 foot 7, my dad is 5 foot 10 and I'm 6 foot 1. my grandma was 4 foot 11, my mom is 5 foot 3, and my sister is 5 foot 6.

• +1
Reactions: Mewton
dietpill.

• +1
Reactions: Chadeep, Cope>rope and RODEBLUR
it seems like the trend is always that one generation is taller than the next, and you get looked at weirdly if your dad's taller than you.

my grandpa was 5 foot 7, my dad is 5 foot 10 and I'm 6 foot 1. my grandma was 4 foot 11, my mom is 5 foot 3, and my sister is 5 foot 6.
my grandma was 5ft7

my mom is 5ft5

my brother is 5ft6

• JFL
Reactions: lepo2317
old people get shorter

Regression to the mean/average.

Regression toward the mean was first described by Francis Galton, a polymath and eugenicist and the cousin of Charles Darwin.

He found that offspring of tall parents tended to be shorter. Also, offspring of shorter parents tended to be taller. Galton stated that processes that did not follow regression towards the mean would quickly go out of control.

So basically people tend to shift towards the population’s genetic average.

• +1
Reactions: Dr SmalCox, klamus, Chadeep and 2 others
human evolution means we get taller by generation

Because contrary to popular belief epigenetics and hormones and diet make noticeable improvements when optimized

• +1
Reactions: galego123
im same height as dad 5ft 9. short mother is to blame

A lot of people were malnourished or were missing vital nutrients in their youth, especially when you consider how many children of immigrants there are now, whose parents probably lived in poverty in other countries. Also many foods now even junk foods are highly fortified in iron and other shit.

Because contrary to popular belief epigenetics and hormones and diet make noticeable improvements when optimized
No, the actual answer is genetic regression to the mean which I posted above. It’s true malnutrition can stunt growth, but no one in any western country is made shorter by our diets. You only see this in extremes like the Dutch hunger winter.

People don’t just get infinitely taller the better they eat. The reasons the Dutch are taller than the Vietnamese is because of genetic selection for height. If you took a bunch of short people and put them on an island, and made them all reproduce at the same rate, that population will continue to produce short kids at the same average height as the founding population no matter what you feed them.

You’d only make this population taller by ensuring only the tallest among them outbreed the shortest over time.

“Epigenetics” is (usually) used as a left wing cope by social scientists who have zero clue what they’re talking about.

Last edited:
This is very true

Science needs to comprehend this who knows it might provide some potential heightmax lifefuel

Very true, a good example is the height difference between north and south Korea

No, the actual answer is genetic regression to the mean which I posted above. It’s true malnutrition can stunt growth, but no one in any western country is made shorter by our diets. You only see this in extremes like the Dutch hunger winter.

People don’t just get infinitely taller the better they eat. The reasons the Dutch are taller than the Vietnamese is because of genetic selection for height. If you took a bunch of short people and put them on an island, and made them all reproduce at the same rate, that population will continue to produce short kids at the same average height as the founding population no matter what you feed them.

You’d only make this population taller by ensuring only the tallest among them outbreed the shortest over time.

“Epigenetics” is (usually) used as a left wing cope by social scientists who have zero clue what they’re talking about.
I am conservative and not coping, why tf do things like HGH treatment and aromatase inhibition add several inches to one’s height even when there is no hormonal deficiency?

Ofc selection for height plays a big part but in this question we are talking about why children of parents are taller than their parents, not why are generations becoming taller

USUALLY.

but the reason is just optimal CONSTANT IGF-1 spikes due to processed carbs and high protein content in random garbage nowadays. CONSTANTLY eating like every few hours is bound to continuously spike IGF1 where your parents may not have had quite an optimal situation.

it can't get much better than this though. the average height won't just keep rising and rising it will eventually stagnate and it may have already done so. eventually the microplastics in the air will increase E and start to DECREASE height again jfl except for MY children who will be on AI in puberty

:lul:
jfl the increased igf height increase is canceled by the reduction in gh in almost all cases besides the morbidly obese. Also how tf are AIs gonna block artificial estrogens? 🤔
Just stunt brain development theory

It's hypergamy, females chose taller males to lower the possibility of an incel being born.

my mom is 5'4.5"
my dad is 6'0"
I'm 5'7"
brutal shit. everyone assumes I have midget parents

• +1
Reactions: weebcel
Ofc selection for height plays a big part but in this question we are talking about why children of parents are taller than their parents, not why are generations becoming taller
I actually answered that. Regression to the mean makes it so that children of short people will actually tend to be taller, because they will regress towards the population average i.e. if parents of British ancestry come from a population with an average height of 179cm, and they are both 170cm, it is not uncommon for their children to be taller than them because they regress to the average.

The same is shown for tall parents. If two parents are both 190cm their children will be taller than most, but they will also likely regress towards 179cm because their parents carry genes from the population they came from.

It sounds confusing to most but it's a genetic phenomena. The same thing happens for intelligence. Smart people have smarter kids on average, but a genius couple will also often produce children who are not as bright as them. Two parents with IQ at 130 who come from a population with an average IQ of 100, will on average produce children with IQ of 115.

• +1
Reactions: Growth Plate
I actually answered that. Regression to the mean makes it so that children of short people will actually tend to be taller, because they will regress towards the population average i.e. if parents of British ancestry come from a population with an average height of 179cm, and they are both 170cm, it is not uncommon for their children to be taller than them because they regress to the average.

The same is shown for tall parents. If two parents are both 190cm their children will be taller than most, but they will also likely regress towards 179cm because their parents carry genes from the population they came from.

It sounds confusing to most but it's a genetic phenomena. The same thing happens for intelligence. Smart people have smarter kids on average, but a genius couple will also often produce children who are not as bright as them. Two parents with IQ at 130 who come from a population with an average IQ of 100, will on average produce children with IQ of 115.
Genetics is somewhat complex, I don't think we have evolved since that is impossible in such a short time, some time ago I read in this forum (I used to post high IQ threads, I don't remember the name, I only remember that it was from Portugal) that height of the human is 5'7-6'1 in men and 5'3-5'7 in women, a height greater or less than that is due to genetic mutation

A man of 1.65 measures that by genetic mutation as well as a man of 1.90 who measures that by genetic mutation

I remember that he gave examples in other primates where most of these mediate the same but a few that were tall used to have a mutation

Genetics is somewhat complex, I don't think we have evolved since that is impossible in such a short time, some time ago I read in this forum (I used to post high IQ threads, I don't remember the name, I only remember that it was from Portugal) that height of the human is 5'7-6'1 in men and 5'3-5'7 in women, a height greater or less than that is due to genetic mutation

A man of 1.65 measures that by genetic mutation as well as a man of 1.90 who measures that by genetic mutation

I remember that he gave examples in other primates where most of these mediate the same but a few that were tall used to have a mutation
@Growth Plate @Gargantuan

• +1
Reactions: Growth Plate and Gargantuan

Short parents having taller kids doesn’t mean it’s caused by mutations… (although it can be, but these are rare). Read about regression to the mean.

Short people who are below the average height will still have genes from the population they come from. They can pass these onto their children by chance due to genetic recombination (children get a random set of genes from mother and father).