Why do I look so much better IRL than on photos? Any info on the best distance and angles for pictures in terms of accuracy?

n9wiff

n9wiff

Overlord
Is it really just lens distortion and the way my shitty camera picks up details and lighting discrepancies?

Anyone has any info on the absolute best way to take photos including the specification of the capture device + distance and angles?

• +1
Reactions: HighTierSubhuman
Almost everyone looks worse in photos, except for a couple blessed by a divine photogenic aura.

That's why I take photos from afar, the face comes out more harmonious and accurate, the closer it gets, the more it is deformed by the camera.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: n9wiff and HighTierSubhuman
Is it really just lens distortion and the way my shitty camera picks up details and lighting discrepancies?

View attachment 3186656

Anyone has any info on the absolute best way to take photos including the specification of the capture device + distance and angles?
The quality looks pretty shit so maybe. You look much worse in this pic specifically than other ones I've seen. I find I look way better from higher up angle so it might be that as well

• +1
Reactions: n9wiff
The quality looks pretty shit so maybe. You look much worse in this pic specifically than other ones I've seen. I find I look way better from higher up angle so it might be that as well
These ones are on a neutral angle from a phone ( Samsung A71 )

20240530 202912
4322254 4289338 20240703 013425
4322252 4289339 20240703 013340

These are mirror pics also from the Samsung.

Mirror is most accurate imo but the differences are more than just the facial features. Clearness and such is affected as well as lighting.

But one thing I noticed while playing around with the camera is that the front and back camera has different levels of distortion despite the subject being at the same distance ( due to the lenses 99 percent sure and zoom settings ).

I wonder if the next time I buy a phone I bring a paper with a matrix-pattern of lines to test the distortions at the store :feelskek:

• +1
Reactions: HighTierSubhuman
These ones are on a neutral angle from a phone ( Samsung A71 )

View attachment 3186670View attachment 3186672View attachment 3186673

These are mirror pics also from the Samsung.

View attachment 3186680View attachment 3186681

Mirror is most accurate imo but the differences are more than just the facial features. Clearness and such is affected as well as lighting.

But one thing I noticed while playing around with the camera is that the front and back camera has different levels of distortion despite the subject being at the same distance ( due to the lenses 99 percent sure and zoom settings ).

I wonder if the next time I buy a phone I bring a paper with a matrix-pattern of lines to test the distortions at the store :feelskek:
Yeah the mirror ones look way better. Literally LTN to MTN difference that's crazy

• +1
Reactions: n9wiff