Afrin/Oxymetazoline Nasal Spray for Acne and Acne Scars

RealNinja

RealNinja

Gold
I heard about this in a Dr. Dray video. Certain nasal sprays like Afrin contain the ingredient Oxymetazoline which is a vasoconstrictor. When you spray this ingredient up your nose, it relieves congestion because the blood vessels in your nasal passage constrict and allow you to breathe better. Oxymetazoline is also found in Rhofade, which is a prescription skin cream used for treating rosacea (redness of the face. However, the concentration of oxymetazoline in nasal spray is much lower than the concentration found in Rhofade.

Users of Rhofade report a “rebound effect,” which means that after discontinuing use of the product the redness comes back worse. In my experience with using Afrin on the skin, there is a mild rebound effect but nothing severe. I would not use this on your face every day. However it works great if you are having unexpected breakouts or if your acne scars are bothering you. I have a decent amount of red acne scarring on my cheeks and forehead. After applying Afrin and using a small amount of tinted sunscreen, my skin looks flawless.

IMG 5654

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: piec, RICHCELDOM and Shkreliii