Can Serotonin really increase social status?

Yusu

Yusu

Juliencentral Fanboy 2020/2021 😍😍
Claimed by animal studies.

Argument: It makes you more calm and comfident and aggregable = social high status behaviour

But serotonin increases prolactin, cortisol... thus decrease testosterone

I am currently on a SSRI and am also often social dominating without thinking much about this. Could there be a correlation?

However I started today to cut it off because I think it is poison and it did not help with my depression.

What do you think? Does it help with social status or opposite?

edit: first day cutting, I am on the half dosage and feeling great

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7785
Idk tbh i have adhd so cope

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 13787, Linoob, datboijj and 1 other person
Yeah, definitely. Serotonin has great effects on reducing anxiety. If you stop using SSRI, maybe start L-Tryptophane or 5-HTP.

• +1
Reactions: johncruz12345 and Yusu
Yeah, definitely. Serotonin has great effects on reducing anxiety. If you stop using SSRI, maybe start L-Tryptophane or 5-HTP.
shit
I have zero anxiety and I am low inhib

but it is still poison and I hope my low inhib does not come from it because as a child I was always the most low inhib

I don't want to rely on this shit anymore, I am taking it 8 years...

• +1
Reactions: johncruz12345
shit
I have zero anxiety and I am low inhib

but it is still poison and I hope my low inhib does not come from it because as a child I was always the most low inhib

I don't want to rely on this shit anymore, I am taking it 8 years...
4 years? That is definitely a lot and I'm surprised that you are still feeling well and happy.

• +1
Reactions: Yusu
4 years? That is definitely a lot and I'm surprised that you are still feeling well and happy.
8 bro

still have rock hard erections and sex drive

but it made me zombie without motivation. It did not numb my feelings, because I feel, but it numbed my will! And I also had no seld confidence and I think my social anxiety has to do with my self worth that I am working on

no serotonin isnt great

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3990 and Yusu
also I think it fucked my skin and I always had high stress
ssri = more cortisol maybe

I'm pretty sure I've high serotonin, maybe not always, but still.
I'm saying it because I'm very calm, confident and agreeable with girls. 0 anxiety.
It's death tier traits to have. I just find so much in common with girls and I can't help, but be agreeable.
My status is 0/invisible.
😥

• +1
Reactions: WadlowMaxxing
8 bro

still have rock hard erections and sex drive

but it made me zombie without motivation. It did not numb my feelings, because I feel, but it numbed my will! And I also had no seld confidence and I think my social anxiety has to do with my self worth that I am working on
Oh I'm low iq sorry. Yes, SSRI definitely isn't good for high T behaviour; drugs that increase dopamine are way better in that sense.

So do i have shit serotonin cause im anxious af and only care for instant pleasure

• Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 13787
So do i have shit serotonin cause im anxious af and only care for instant pleasure
Yes, and also dopamine deprived probably. Start with 5-HTP and see how it's going.

Serotonin has so many positive effects. Take MDMA and you'll see.
read these

• +1
Reactions: Mike95 and Renaissance.Chad
Serotonin is not that good
Just stick to GABA and Dopaminemaxxing

• +1
Reactions: Cope, Mike95 and hairyballscel
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 13787
no serotonin isnt great
This. serotonin is actually lower on high status individuals and higher on lower status individuals, as are many other inhibitory hormones and neurotransmitters.

• +1
Reactions: Mike95, Yusu and hairyballscel
This. serotonin is actually lower on high status individuals and higher on lower status individuals, as are many other inhibitory hormones and neurotransmitters.
but I just can find the opposite argument. Do you have a reference?

Heroin will skyrocket your seratonin

but I just can find the opposite argument. Do you have a reference?
Well what is your opposite argument? Serotonin will increase your aggressiveness and dominance, but neither aggression nor dominance are traits of a high status individual, around whom people will gravitate by virtue of their energy, charisma and resources.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Mike95 and Yusu
Well what is your opposite argument? Serotonin will increase your aggressiveness and dominance, but neither aggression nor dominance are traits of a high status individual, around whom people will gravitate by virtue of their energy, charisma and resources.
I don't want it to be true but...

Serotonin: The Feel Good Hit for High Status

The most important neurotransmitter connected to status is serotonin. Serotonin helps regulate appetite and sex drive, as well as one’s mood. Individuals with low serotonin levels are often cranky, aggressive, and depressed, which is why they are sometimes prescribed antidepressants designed to boost this neurotransmitter.

Serotonin levels are influenced by genetics and lifestyle factors like stress, sleep, and diet. But one of the biggest factors impacting the amount of serotonin in the brain is whether you think others perceive you as having high status. Serotonin feels good, and whenever we experience boosts in our status, serotonin floods our brain, and we become more confident, relaxed, cooperative, and pro-social. That groovy, connected feeling encourages us to seek more status.

Researchers have found in both primates and humans that serotonin levels rise as status rises, and decreases as status decreases. For example, dominant male vervet monkeys have twice as much serotonin in their blood as non-dominant males. When the dominant male is overthrown, his serotonin drops and his replacement’s serotonin levels surge dramatically. In humans, researchers have found that individuals in leadership positions have higher serotonin levels than their subordinates. For example, in one study researchers found that fraternity officers had 25% more serotonin than the other members in the fraternity.

Drops in serotonin are also found in humans when they experience status defeat. Simply getting negative feedback from people you care about can cause your levels to drop. This is why getting snubbed or criticized by those you care about can make you feel so dang miserable. (Another factor is that rejection triggers the parts of the brain responsible for pain; and I’m talking actual physical pain — the kind of pain taking a Tylenol will help alleviate. Our whole body reacts surprisingly strongly to status defeats.)

The serotonin boost that accompanies high status only activates when you perceive that others are displaying submissive behavior towards you. Researchers know this because they found they could deplete the serotonin levels of a dominant vervet monkey by putting him behind a one-way mirror. The alpha monkey could see his peers, but his peers couldn’t see him. Mr. Alpha Monkey made dominant gestures, but because his fellow monkeys couldn’t see him, they didn’t respond with signals of submission. Without this ego-stoking feedback, Mr. Alpha Monkey’s serotonin levels dropped, and he started to get really anxious. ...

The most important neurotransmitter connected to status is serotonin. Serotonin helps regulate appetite and sex drive, as well as one’s mood. Individuals with low serotonin levels are often cranky, aggressive, and depressed, which is why they are sometimes prescribed antidepressants designed to boost this neurotransmitter.

Serotonin levels are influenced by genetics and lifestyle factors like stress, sleep, and diet. But one of the biggest factors impacting the amount of serotonin in the brain is whether you think others perceive you as having high status. Serotonin feels good, and whenever we experience boosts in our status, serotonin floods our brain, and we become more confident, relaxed, cooperative, and pro-social. That groovy, connected feeling encourages us to seek more status.

Researchers have found in both primates and humans that serotonin levels rise as status rises, and decreases as status decreases. For example, dominant male vervet monkeys have twice as much serotonin in their blood as non-dominant males. When the dominant male is overthrown, his serotonin drops and his replacement’s serotonin levels surge dramatically. In humans, researchers have found that individuals in leadership positions have higher serotonin levels than their subordinates. For example, in one study researchers found that fraternity officers had 25% more serotonin than the other members in the fraternity.

Drops in serotonin are also found in humans when they experience status defeat. Simply getting negative feedback from people you care about can cause your levels to drop. This is why getting snubbed or criticized by those you care about can make you feel so dang miserable. (Another factor is that rejection triggers the parts of the brain responsible for pain; and I’m talking actual physical pain — the kind of pain taking a Tylenol will help alleviate. Our whole body reacts surprisingly strongly to status defeats.)

The serotonin boost that accompanies high status only activates when you perceive that others are displaying submissive behavior towards you. Researchers know this because they found they could deplete the serotonin levels of a dominant vervet monkey by putting him behind a one-way mirror. The alpha monkey could see his peers, but his peers couldn’t see him. Mr. Alpha Monkey made dominant gestures, but because his fellow monkeys couldn’t see him, they didn’t respond with signals of submission. Without this ego-stoking feedback, Mr. Alpha Monkey’s serotonin levels dropped, and he started to get really anxious. ...

This is just garden variety pop-science consisting of incorrect conclusions drawn from correct observations. Dominant primates and people in leadership positions experience stress due to having to enforce and defend their position. A CEO doesn't have high serotonin because they have high social status, but because they are expending energy in order to maintain their social status (for ex. the monkey behind a one-way mirror study that was mentioned). Consider also that serotonin and cortisol levels correlate with each other, which further demonstrates the stress-factor in high serotonin levels. Someone who has natural social status would not even have to think about maintaining his status. He would require neither serotonin nor cortisol in order to enjoy the benefits of high status.

• +1
Reactions: Mike95, Chintuck22, hairyballscel and 1 other person
So the conclusion to this thread is "just do the lsd, bro"?

• +1
Reactions: potentialhabit1
I'm pretty sure I've high serotonin, maybe not always, but still.
I'm saying it because I'm very calm, confident and agreeable with girls. 0 anxiety.
It's death tier traits to have. I just find so much in common with girls and I can't help, but be agreeable.
My status is 0/invisible.
😥
are you very neat / perfectionistic / almost autistic in things like sorting etc.? more planful than action taking?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 10536
This is just garden variety pop-science consisting of incorrect conclusions drawn from correct observations. Dominant primates and people in leadership positions experience stress due to having to enforce and defend their position. A CEO doesn't have high serotonin because they have high social status, but because they are expending energy in order to maintain their social status (for ex. the monkey behind a one-way mirror study that was mentioned). Consider also that serotonin and cortisol levels correlate with each other, which further demonstrates the stress-factor in high serotonin levels. Someone who has natural social status would not even have to think about maintaining his status. He would require neither serotonin nor cortisol in order to enjoy the benefits of high status.

yes it is hard to come to clear conclusions just by one study thank you for the alternative explanation

However I feel still great and motivated today

are you very neat / perfectionistic / almost autistic in things like sorting etc.? more planful than action taking?
Yes and no. It depends on priorities. If I care about it, I'll be neat and sorted, otherwise I just throw stuff together in one box. I can be perfectionist if needed, but some times lazy. I tend to think and plan things out a lot before hand, if I can/have time, but if I need to do something *now*, then I can't plan for shit and go linearly in a very dumb fashion, to the point where I think I might be mentally retarded, as I forget about the "bigger picture". It's situational... Okay?

is lsd anti seretonic?
It's antagonist and it depletes your own serotonin. The day after the lsd is always "crappy"/depressed, bad mood. Nothing physical though, just sad and mopey.

Last edited:
Could be true, take a look at mdma:
"Acts primarily as a releasing agent of the three principal monoamine neurotransmitters serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine through its action at trace amine-associated receptor 1 (TAAR1) and vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2)."
and if you've ever been geeking on it, you know it's GOOD for sociability, even as an introvert myself.

The day after the lsd is always "crappy"/depressed, bad mood. Nothing physical though, just sad and mopey.
jfl i feel great the day after doing lsd

• Hmm...
jfl i feel great the day after doing lsd
I feel very low on serotonin afterwards. I find lsd to be just such a crappy drug in general. Never had a "bad trip" btw.

• +1
Reactions: hairyballscel
I feel very low on serotonin afterwards. I find lsd to be just such a crappy drug in general. Never had a "bad trip" btw.
low serotonin is ideal

maybe ur not taking lsd or you were in a bad mental state/place during ur trip?

low serotonin is ideal

maybe ur not taking lsd or you were in a bad mental state/place during ur trip?
I'm pretty sure it was lsd. I said I never had bad trip. My mental state, imo, was fine at the time. It just made me feel annoyed body wise. It's hard to explain this sensation. I like lsd, for 2-3 hours, but then it gets tiring and boring and you want to get over with it already. It impacts motor functions too much also, so you feel like a disabled person. It also makes me look peculiarly ugly, my hair starts to twirl and they become messy, also hard to explain.
I get the hallucinations, but they're whatever, was interesting for the first time. Closed eye visuals were the nicest part, but also nothing special. Liked the wavyness of grass for example. Still grass looks as if wind is blowing it in an artificial way. Body sensations were very pleasant, but gets annoying.
I can imagine sex would be incredible. Tried fapping and I lost my breath, heart stopped completely and it felt incredible, was going in and out of consciousness.
Also it really worked for the first time only. All the other times it was incredibly underwhelming experience, even on higher doses. Also it fucked up my brain, in some way, as I feel different - worse, my brain functions on a lower level, my thinking is worse/slower.
Guess it made me lose some anxiousness/social awareness/inhibition, which resulted in more actual human contact, but it didn't lead me anywhere at all. So as a result it was quite useless.
Tbh was more impressed with weed overall than lsd, but neither works anymore. On the other hand it has been ages since I've tried any kind of drug, besides modafinil.

I'm pretty sure it was lsd. I said I never had bad trip. My mental state, imo, was fine at the time. It just made me feel annoyed body wise. It's hard to explain this sensation. I like lsd, for 2-3 hours, but then it gets tiring and boring and you want to get over with it already. It impacts motor functions too much also, so you feel like a disabled person. It also makes me look peculiarly ugly, my hair starts to twirl and they become messy, also hard to explain.
I get the hallucinations, but they're whatever, was interesting for the first time. Closed eye visuals were the nicest part, but also nothing special. Liked the wavyness of grass for example. Still grass looks as if wind is blowing it in an artificial way. Body sensations were very pleasant, but gets annoying.
I can imagine sex would be incredible. Tried fapping and I lost my breath, heart stopped completely and it felt incredible, was going in and out of consciousness.
Also it really worked for the first time only. All the other times it was incredibly underwhelming experience, even on higher doses. Also it fucked up my brain, in some way, as I feel different - worse, my brain functions on a lower level, my thinking is worse/slower.
Guess it made me lose some anxiousness/social awareness/inhibition, which resulted in more actual human contact, but it didn't lead me anywhere at all. So as a result it was quite useless.
Tbh was more impressed with weed overall than lsd, but neither works anymore. On the other hand it has been ages since I've tried any kind of drug, besides modafinil.
0,1g of weed gives me very strong hallucinations. Very very strong.

I think lsd would kill my mind

• Hmm...

I can't believe it could. As long as you understand your body and what's happening/not anxious about it. Idk about weed dosages, as I've never actually smoked weed. I've tried concentrate in a vaporiser only. Most pure form, I guess. It's like 80% thc. Of course very small amounts, anyway 1g of that would last a good month.

Thinking about it, if you can lose your mind from weed/lsd, then you must have been insane already and struggling with reality as is.
Can't comprehend such a fact myself - a drug causing you to lose your mind. You can become degenerated, from abusing the drugs though. I've met people like that, quite a few. But just by doing the drugs every once in a while?
I was very afraid and anxious, it was a state you couldn't understand and there's no point of even trying to describe it, as there are no words for that. That is the state that I've lost due to drugs. People might call it high inhibition. Maybe that's why people advise lsdmaxxing for example.

• +1
Reactions: BigBoy and Yusu
Thinking about it, if you can lose your mind from weed/lsd, then you must have been insane already and struggling with reality as is.
Can't comprehend such a fact myself - a drug causing you to lose your mind. You can become degenerated, from abusing the drugs though. I've met people like that, quite a few. But just by doing the drugs every once in a while?
I was very afraid and anxious, it was a state you couldn't understand and there's no point of even trying to describe it, as there are no words for that. That is the state that I've lost due to drugs. People might call it high inhibition. Maybe that's why people advise lsdmaxxing for example.
" then you must have been insane already and struggling with reality as is. "
100%
So true

but my mind gets better, therapy, rsd tyler, some books, good food, meditation (still hard), gym, supplements and so on

• Hmm...
" then you must have been insane already and struggling with reality as is. "
100%
So true

but my mind gets better, therapy, rsd tyler, some books, good food, meditation (still hard), gym, supplements and so on
Dare I say cope?

"You can become degenerated, from abusing the drugs though "

I have hppd because of weed. That means I have constant pseudo hallucinations: In the dark I see very very weird pattern, colours. Just press at your eyeballs. I see this just with colour all the time (in the dark).
No therapy wants to talk about it because they can't handle it, the science behind it is very weak.

But I give a shit about it. I can filter it. I forget it 99,99% times and If I remember it it just is like a itching on my balls.

However this gives me philosophical thinking: Realitiy is not that what we see and feel. My mind did go crazy after I got this with 16/17 but as I said I can cope with it now.

• +1
Reactions: quemirasmanv2
"You can become degenerated, from abusing the drugs though "

I have hppd because of weed. That means I have constant pseudo hallucinations: In the dark I see very very weird pattern, colours. Just press at your eyeballs. I see this just with colour all the time (in the dark).
No therapy wants to talk about it because they can't handle it, the science behind it is very weak.

But I give a shit about it. I can filter it. I forget it 99,99% times and If I remember it it just is like a itching on my balls.

However this gives me philosophical thinking: Realitiy is not that what we see and feel. My mind did go crazy after I got this with 16/17 but as I said I can cope with it now.
Reality is not what we see, not because of some philosophical buzzing around, but because we receive a very insignificant amount of information through our eyes, which gets decoded by our brains. We can't see vast majority of the stuff that's around us. We have the technology now to allows us to "see" it though.
You can't readily see temperature, a vast majority of light in various frequencies, gravity, physical laws and such, even though they exist and they're observable objectively. Just some common examples.
Also what you see is simply signal noise/or your brains failing to decode the information.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reality is not what we see, not because of some philosophical buzzing around, but because we receive a very insignificant amount of information through our eyes, which gets decoded by our brains. We can't see vast majority of the stuff that's around us. We have the technology now to allows us to "see" it though.
You can't readily see temperature, a vast majority of light in various frequencies, gravity, physical laws and such, even though they exist and they're observable objectively. Just some common examples.
Also what you see is simply signal noise/or your brains failing to decode the information.
yeah I know but I want some

pussy

• So Sad
  • +1
Tell me about it. I'm literally kissless virgin etc etc.
you can build self confidence with hookers but don't become addicted

at least sexual experience and a more open attitude which can lead to some self confidence but it is ofc not as effective as inner work

I don't have confidence issues. I don't want or care for hookers either.

• +1
I don't have confidence issues. I don't want or care for hookers either.
really? at least 80% of the people have self worth problems. If you have true self confidence than congratz, I had to work hard for it and still have to work