collagen fiber density increases with age

yue

yue

Exponent
According to Ray Peat

"Plastic surgeons have promoted the idea of injecting collagen into tissues with the argument that they are "replacing collagen lost with aging," but in fact collagen accumulates with aging. It is the greater compactness and stiffness of collagen in old skin that produces noticeable changes such as wrinkling."

• +1
  • JFL
  • Hmm...
Reactions: 98Zdeed98, piec, mvp2v1 and 2 others
Thank you Gay Peat

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: aleksander, efidescontinuado, RealSurgerymax and 1 other person
what u need to do it slow AGE accumulation in skin

• Love it
Reactions: Roge
So the skin has a process of remodeling just like bones. collagen and elastin cells are taken away and new collagen and elastin cells are produced. Due to inflammation and other factors the creator of those 2 cells becomes inhibited (less of them). So you end up with collagen and elastin loss without replenishment which leads to the wrinkls and saggy skin etc. How does this process fit into his explanation?

• +1
Reactions: odux and RealSurgerymax
So the skin has a process of remodeling just like bones. collagen and elastin cells are taken away and new collagen and elastin cells are produced. Due to inflammation and other factors the creator of those 2 cells becomes inhibited (less of them). So you end up with collagen and elastin loss without replenishment which leads to the wrinkls and saggy skin etc. How does this process fit into his explanation?
collagen and elastin are proteins produced by fibroblasts . also , elastin production is usually negligible in adults .

fibroblasts can age due to mesenchymal stem cell ageing . this (pure speculation) ageing of the fibroblasts could lead to irregular and abnormal collagen production causes old skin

Glycation plays a major role in extracellular matrix ageing is my view

• +1
Reactions: mvp2v1 and yue
Collagen and elastin are protein fibers, not cells. Fibroblasts are the cells that make protein fibers in your connective tissue.

• +1
Reactions: mvp2v1
Advanced Glycation End products (AGE) , these will stiffen ur extracellular matrix ageing ur skin . also stiffen blood vessels potentially decreaseing blood flow to skin , contributing to aged skin

"AGEs are formed through four pathways: (1) the Maillard reaction, (2) sugars auto-oxidation pathway, (3) lipid peroxidation pathway, and (4) polyols pathway. Glucose is converted into fructose via the polyol pathway (based on aldo-keto reductase enzymes), which accelerates the production of AGEs [7]. AGEs precursors can also be formed by metal-catalyzed auto-oxidation of glucose (Wolff pathway) and lipid peroxidation (acetyl alcohol pathway) [8]."

also , dont forget dietary AGEs . cooked foods conatin this , these will age ur entire body

btw , AGEs dont just age u by altering proteins but somehow cause oxidative stress (im not expert i dont understand all this but i read this , might be the RAGE , receptor of AGE , im not expert as i said)

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 29747
btw , AGEs dont just age u by altering proteins but somehow cause oxidative stress (im not expert i dont understand all this but i read this , might be the RAGE , receptor of AGE , im not expert as i said)
hmm , basically AGE -> bad , damage cascade . ur cells probably doesnt want AGEs in genral

seems to be inflammatory , the AGE protein immune cells not like so they hostile , fight , injuring more things

oxidative stress can result from glycated mitochondrial proteins . I DID NOT THINK ABOUT INTRACELLULAR PROTEINS , MITOCHONDRIA MAKE MORE REACTIVE OXYGEN SPECIES ITS OVER

• +1
hmm , basically AGE -> bad , damage cascade . ur cells probably doesnt want AGEs in genral

seems to be inflammatory , the AGE protein immune cells not like so they hostile , fight , injuring more things

oxidative stress can result from glycated mitochondrial proteins . I DID NOT THINK ABOUT INTRACELLULAR PROTEINS , MITOCHONDRIA MAKE MORE REACTIVE OXYGEN SPECIES ITS OVER
hmm , also the AGEs distract and deplete the anti oxidants . well not the AGEs on extracellular matrix but the schiff bases and amadoris maybe ?

this could be BIG , i mean even IF schiff base not survive to AGE , and even IF absorbed dietary AGEs are excreted urinary , these crooks use up detox capacity . then maybe u age more from other things , not to mention health consequences

intracellular AGEs underrated , i guess u cant just use extracellular matrix AGE breaking enzymes

Last edited:
  • +1
also , dont forget dietary AGEs . cooked foods conatin this , these will age ur entire body
Examples?

And why does glycation occur? I'm guessing it isn't correlated the amount of glucose you are consuming

• +1
Reactions: Youㅤ
Examples?

And why does glycation occur? I'm guessing it isn't correlated the amount of glucose you are consuming
examples of what ?

AGEs form in multiple ways . glucose can create schiff bases but so can lipid peroxidation , and fructose is more likely than glucose to make schiff base

u will have more glycation if u have bad anti-oxidative capacity , more PUFAs , or bad blood glucose control . eating more glucose would increase glycation relative to eating nothing , but benefits of glucose containing natural foods outweigh this

examples of what ?

AGEs form in multiple ways . glucose can create schiff bases but so can lipid peroxidation , and fructose is more likely than glucose to make schiff base

u will have more glycation if u have bad anti-oxidative capacity , more PUFAs , or bad blood glucose control . eating more glucose would increase glycation relative to eating nothing , but benefits of glucose containing natural foods outweigh this
define natural food

Raypeat doesn’t have rizz or swag not listening to him 🤷🏿‍♂️

Just do what I recommended , AGEs are result of oxidative stress lipid peroxidation and inflammation

• So Sad
Just do what I recommended , AGEs are result of oxidative stress lipid peroxidation and inflammation
Too complex to comprehend

• Hmm...
Too complex to comprehend
Read my above messages on this thread I’ll let u know if I learn more stuff on glycation

• +1
Read my above messages on this thread I’ll let u know if I learn more stuff on glycation
I've bookmarked but now its rocket science for me. Probably anti aging is the only topic I dont understand now. With the surgery results that I showed you in PMs I'm not worrying too much

• +1
I've bookmarked but now it’s rocket science for me. Probably anti aging is the only topic I dont understand now. With the surgery results that I showed you in PMs I'm not worrying too much
Just remember that real anti ageing is far superior to hideing signs of ageing, even if u can hide them very effectively

I will research glycation right now

• +1
Reactions: Roge and piec
@RealSurgerymax I noticed you didn't rep my post but repped optimisticzoomer, saying, "Gay Peat." I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that a member of the medical establishment continues to uphold the profitable lies of the industry.

Just remember that real anti ageing is far superior to hideing signs of ageing, even if u can hide them very effectively

I will research glycation right now
Can real anti aging even be done, without use of certain artificial supplements like NAD+/NMN etc. Surely, just eating a normal balanced diet is not included in Anti Aging.

• Hmm...
Can real anti aging even be done, without use of certain artificial supplements like NAD+/NMN etc. Surely, just eating a normal balanced diet is not included in Anti Aging.
natural diet is anti ageing relative to standard diets

u can go further to optimize natural diet for ageing less

• +1
Reactions: greycel