Definitive guide on SAM-e: testosterone, liver, height, depression

Chadline Chaddinson

Chadline Chaddinson

Iron
S-Adenosyl methionine (SAM-e, ademethionine) is a thing naturally occuring in the body. It can also be taken as a supplement.

In the US it's considered a dietary supplement and most commonly used to imporve mood, but in Europe, China, Mexico etc it's marketed as a prescription drug, they treat liver diseases with it. It usually takes a week to a month to notice effects of SAM-e.

Oral SAM-e is only 5% bioavailable, while injectable SAM-e is almost 100% bioavailable. So, when taken orally, minimum dose should be 400~800 mg, and 1200~1600 mg doses are proposed. Note that it's very expensive. Side effects are rare and include gastrointestinal issues and manic episodes in bipolar people. At least one case of insomnia is reported, so it's often advised to take SAM-e at morning. Long time side effects are not investigated.

The SAM-e supplement is used for:
1. Liver diseases. In Europe it's marketed as a hepatoprotector, even though there aren't many human studies advocating its usage. Nevertheless, in countries where it's used in treatment people report their bloodwork improves after SAM-e. It may also indirectly influence hormones such as androgens and thyroid hormones. There's an old study from 1987 saying it increases testosterone https://www.ergo-log.com/sametest.html

2. Depression. Unlike many prescribed antidepressants, SAMe is not hepatotoxic and has less side effects overall. There are many studies proving it's as effective for depression as Imipramine, Desipramine, Clomipramine, Minaprine, Amitriptyline etc when taken orally at 800~1600 mg. Usually it's not used in treatment of depression though. I've also been told people use it (probably inject?) after MDMA to increase the effect when their own serotonin is used up.

Effectiveness of SAM-e for major depression
StudySAMe treatmentComparison drugResult
Pancheri P. et al., 2002400 mg intramuscular 4 weeks (n=146)Imipramine 150 mg oral (n=147)SAMe=IMI
Delle Chiaie R. et al., 20021600 mg oral 4w (n=143)Imipramine 150 mg oral (n=138)SAMe=IMI
400 mg intramuscular 6w (n=147)IMI 150 mg oral (n=148)SAMe=IMI
Bell M.B. et al., 19901600 mg oral 4w (n=12)Desipramine 250 mg oral (n=13)SAMe=DMI
Salmaggi P. et al., 19931600 mg oral 30 days (n=30)Placebo (n=30)SAMe>PBO
Kagan B.L. et al., 19901600 mg oral 3w (n=9)PBO (n=9)SAMe>PBO
Fava M. et al., 19921600 mg oral 6w (n=24)PBO (n=31)SAMe=PBO
De Vanna M., Rigamonti R., 19921600 mg oral 6w (n=11)IMI 150 mg oral (n=11)SAMe=IMI
Janicak P.G. et al., 1988400 mg intravenous 2w (n=7)IMI 150 mg oral (n=3)SAMe=IMI
400 mg intravenous 2w (n=7)PBO (n=5)SAMe>PBO
Bell K.M. et al., 1988400 mg intravenous 2w (n=11)IMI 150 mg oral (n=11)SAMe>IMI
Carney M.W. et al., 1986200 mg intravenous 2w (n=15)PBO (n=17)SAMe=PBO,
SAMe>PBO
Caruso I. et al., 1984200 mg intramuscular 3w (n=25)PBO (n=24)SAMe>PBO

3. Osteoarthritis. Lacks evidence.

4. Heightmaxxing. It was promoted by xcrunner211, whom many consider a scammer. Also by @Strike_Poseidon from here. People advocating its usage think that growth plates never ossify fully and if we increase DNA methylation we can reverse the age and cause growth at any age. Xcrunner211 said it should be taken at 2000 mg, together with folic acid, for at least 6 months. Anyway, it definitely increases IGF-1, a hormone required for growth. There are studies saying methionine restrictive diet is associated with increased lifespan, which is common "side effect" of low IGF-1 (I hope you already know that you can only choose either productivity with high IGF-1 and T, or longevity with low hormone levels).

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: currylightskin, mvp2v1, Deleted member 19152 and 6 others
Wouldnt taking SAM-e give your brain mercury poisoning?

• +1
  • Love it
  • JFL
Reactions: StressShady, Deleted member 5521, Chadline Chaddinson and 1 other person
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: SubhumanCurrycel, Vista, Need2Ascend and 5 others
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: SexuallyAbusive and Chadline Chaddinson
It’s cope for heightmaxxing, me and many others have tried it. Supposedly good for hairloss tho

• +1
Reactions: Chadline Chaddinson
I heard because of them some user got mercury poisoning he hasnt post anything anymore
it was only one guy who apparently did, he was in our heightmaxing server and left because of that

we have a server full of people who took that shit and didnt grow a single millimeter. dna methylation is a load of shit. strike himself doesnt even believe in his own stack anymore. there is a new stack we are currently experimenting with and discussing in a private channel, just without strike's stupid ass. average IQ legit raised by 50 points by banning him from that

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Glacier, TheEndHasNoEnd, Deleted member 5521 and 3 others
it was only one guy who apparently did, he was in our heightmaxing server and left because of that

we have a server full of people who took that shit and didnt grow a single millimeter. dna methylation is a load of shit. strike himself doesnt even believe in his own stack anymore. there is a new stack we are currently experimenting with and discussing in a private channel, just without strike's stupid ass. average IQ legit raised by 50 points by banning him from that
what stack are you guys experimenting?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5634
As I said in the beginning Strike just used people as an experiment. He was always full of excuses of why he didn't take his own stack.

SAM-e naturally increases after overeating. Therefore it's associated with fat mass.

Taking SAM-e as a supplement may probably promote fat loss as it reduces the appetite and also treats depression (which complicates weight loss).

add me asap i want to grow my man

anything new?

• +1
Reactions: Yusu

Can you send link pls? I’m using hormoens like hgh and t4/3 maybe I can discuss there

(I hope you already know that you can only choose either productivity with high IGF-1 and T, or longevity with low hormone levels).
Citation needed. That sounds like low hormone levels cope. Optimal hormone levels result in better health and consequently greater lifespan.