Fix your eyesight without surgery (myopiacels GTFIH)

S

siliconvalleycel

Fasting advocate
TL;DR: Read for 2-4 hours a day with glasses that are 1-2 prescriptions less then yours, you should be able to focus with a bit of effort, but without squinting.

We all know that wearing glasses is a major looksmin* [ISPOILER]maybe with a good frame and low prescription you can hide eye area failos (low zygos, upper eyelid exposure, lack of undereye support, etc. maybe. /theory[/ISPOILER]
If you have a high prescription, it even deforms your face making you extra subhuman.

So step 0 is get contacts, they work well and work immediately. Okay? Good.
But wear them long enough and you'll see that contacts are also kind of a pain - to store, clean, place, sleep with (it happens), swim, etc. I've worn top grade gelatinous hydrophillic whatever contacts for over 2 years and they sucked, just less than glasses, or being legally blind.

Now if you Google "myopia cures" you'll find either:
1) Surgery (LASIK, PRK, etc) fine print: you might not end up with zero correction, and will almost surely need to wear correction again in the future
2) Buy this guide for just $199.95 (so you sunken-cost-fallacy yourself into the delusion that it's working)

I had surgery in like... 2010? Can't remember
I went for a personalized PRK to shave off 6 diopters on both eyes at the same time cuz yolo, it was supposed to "fix" astigmatism as well as keeping the door open for re-doing the surgery if my prescription increased over time (you can't redo LASIK). Came out of the surgery seeing clearer that I have ever seen, even with glasses or contacts (astigmatism was better but not 100%).
Fast-forward 6 or 7 years I'm noticing I'm squinting a bit reading some stuff (captioned movies on the TV for example), and thought to myself: "welp, guess it's time to re-do the surgery, it's been such a long time it was totally worth it, probably this time will be the last as well since I'm older then it will increase slower." :bluepill:
So I booked an appointment with my ophthalmologist to measure my prescription: -1 and -1.25 with a 20/50 Snellen. So I said "yeah I'll milk this one out a bit more."

Now it's 2020, and did you read the fine print of option #1? Yeah that happens.
But the weird thing is that even though my myopia got a little bit worse after the surgery, it stopped getting worse for the last 3 years or so. In fact, it got better! Ever since I had setup new screens at home on my computer, that were just a tad bit farther than where the older ones used to be, I had to consciously focus from time to time. Now I focus on them no prob.
Some time ago I stumbled across this video (skip to 18:00 if the timestamp doesn't work):

It all made too much sense, especially considering my own experience post-surgery. I have been print-pushing without knowing what it was.
This also rings true with people that I know that have "given up" on upgrading their prescription, and have since stopped worsening their myopia.

Now I've gone the extra mile, and bought cheap frames with PLUS 1 lenses. I wear them at home, when on the computer (easy 2 hours minimum every day, more like 6) and lo and behold, I now need to consciously focus (still can do), but when the glasses come off the world is crystal fucking clear. Shit's mind blowing.
It's been about a month I've been using these lenses, but I'm thoroughly convinced this works, I can read traffic signs more clearly, building numbers when driving, those overhead menus on fast food joints... The final test was when I printed out a Snellen chart and tested myself - result: 20/30

I'll continue to wear these lenses for about 4 more weeks, then I'll buy some +2 lenses and try to master them as well.
You must keep things in that sweet spot when it starts blurry then it sharpens, if it's too blurry your brain gives up and you get nothing.

Will keep you guys posted.
Goal is 20/20 with a lofty goal of 20/15 because fuck average.

>inb4 shoo shoo begone zennioptical rep

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Danish_Retard, P4fivee, Elvisandreaa and 10 others
Major cope. I've seen plenty of stories on plebbit who get some progress then plateau hard with no results.

Why not just get lasik?

I have 1.75 and 1.5 myopia. When you say +1 lense do you mean get 2.75 and 2.5 lenses respectively?

Major cope. I've seen plenty of stories on plebbit who get some progress then plateau hard with no results.
Think about it, we can't gain an inch in height after 20, our fingers don't get longer etc., but the eye keeps growing further and further back ever increasing the prescription, for no damn reason? It's responding to a stimulus, change the stimulus, change the response.
The people on plebbit probably were doing the Bates method, where you keep focusing on something afar, then close, then afar, then close - the stimulus is too low, you can't do that shit for 4 hours a day. It's like trying to get jacked by doing 15m of pushups and crunches every other day. Bring on the plus lenses, now you're at the gym with weights and a couple of hours.

Why not just get lasik?
Some people are poorcels, also LASIK may not fully rid you of need for correction, and sometime after you most surely will need correction again (or another surgery JFL) because the degrees keep moving.

I have 1.75 and 1.5 myopia. When you say +1 lense do you mean get 2.75 and 2.5 lenses respectively?
Minus lenses correct myopia (nearsightedness)
Plus lenses correct hyperopia (farsightedness)
They're basically the same problem, but on opposite sides of the focal plane, that's why when you get close to zero you need to "handicap" yourself with plus lenses (assuming myopia) to force more adaptation.

If you have myopia, your prescription is probably -1.75 and -1.5, so you would get "weak" lenses of about -0.75 and -0.5, when you start getting results (ie. being able to focus at reading distance with zero correction), you spend some time doing the exercise without glasses, then when that gets comfortable you would get plus lenses of +1.0 or something like that

• +1
Reactions: GigaAscender, Mouthbreath and Wannabe6ft2
Think about it, we can't gain an inch in height after 20, our fingers don't get longer etc., but the eye keeps growing further and further back ever increasing the prescription, for no damn reason? It's responding to a stimulus, change the stimulus, change the response.
The people on plebbit probably were doing the Bates method, where you keep focusing on something afar, then close, then afar, then close - the stimulus is too low, you can't do that shit for 4 hours a day. It's like trying to get jacked by doing 15m of pushups and crunches every other day. Bring on the plus lenses, now you're at the gym with weights and a couple of hours.

Some people are poorcels, also LASIK may not fully rid you of need for correction, and sometime after you most surely will need correction again (or another surgery JFL) because the degrees keep moving.

They're basically the same problem, but on opposite sides of the focal plane, that's why when you get close to zero you need to "handicap" yourself with plus lenses (assuming myopia) to force more adaptation.

If you have myopia, your prescription is probably -1.75 and -1.5, so you would get "weak" lenses of about -0.75 and -0.5, when you start getting results (ie. being able to focus at reading distance with zero correction), you spend some time doing the exercise without glasses, then when that gets comfortable you would get plus lenses of +1.0 or something like that

No the plebs on plebbit did your method, btw how subhuman your eyesight was before surgery and what age were you? Mine is -2.75 and -4 and astigmatism -2.25 in both. Can't do lasik only prk but even that would probably not give me 20/20 they said and would require a second try.

so... legit? because im bookmarking this thread.

i don have the money to lasik right now.

i'm going to try eye exercise.
I saw people on youtube who were successful

there are some brazilian youtubers who talk about this.

firs I saw was this chinese old man:

"

I would like to leave my testimony: I was a little skeptical about the exercises, but as I felt a deterioration in my vision, I decided to do it daily. I have 5.5 degrees of myopia in both eyes, and I realized that I would need to update the degree as the glasses were getting weak. After 1 week of doing the exercises, I started to feel a headache with my glasses, because he was too strong. I had to get my old glasses, from 2013 (which has 4.5 degrees in both eyes) and now it's perfect! That is, I reduced 1 degree of myopia in a week! I stick to the exercises!

"

"
Very good, I've been doing visual exercises for over 1 year and I've managed to decrease my myopia degree from 3 to 1.25 astigmatism 1, 75 to 0.75 had started cataracts and I don't have any more, the exercises I do is with Dr. Tatiana Gebrael, now I'm doing these by Dr. Chen Ming, thanks for your dedication!

"

Last edited:
i'm going to try eye exercise.
The problem I see with eye exercises is that they're a pain in the ass, you can only do them for so long and you feel like you're wasting your time (so adherence to a schedule is hard).
While reading on the computer with weak lenses you can rack up hours upon hours every day, doing something you probably already do. Quoting myself:
the stimulus is too low, you can't do that shit for 4 hours a day. It's like trying to get jacked by doing 15m of pushups and crunches every other day. Bring on the plus lenses, now you're at the gym with weights and a couple of hours.

I haven't missed a single day for a month simply because they're on my desk and I see them as soon as I sit on the computer.

edit:
If you're BR I bought mine online, paid R$127,14 for both frames and lenses, shipping included. I even splurged and went for a non reflective lenses. You fill your own numbers so it's great, you don't have to upload your prescription or anything.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Wannabe6ft2
or just wear contact lenses

or just wear contact lenses

Agreed, but...

But wear them long enough and you'll see that contacts are also kind of a pain - to store, clean, place, sleep with (it happens), swim, etc. I've worn top grade gelatinous hydrophillic whatever contacts for over 2 years and they sucked, just less than glasses, or being legally blind.

Thanks. One more question though: I have no trouble reading my moniter with no glasses already so how will I know when to move on? My trouble is reading things (like you said) 10 feet away like fast food menu signs, road signs etc.

TL;DR: Read for 2-4 hours a day with glasses that are 1-2 prescriptions less then yours, you should be able to focus with a bit of effort, but without squinting.

We all know that wearing glasses is a major looksmin* [ISPOILER]maybe with a good frame and low prescription you can hide eye area failos (low zygos, upper eyelid exposure, lack of undereye support, etc. maybe. /theory[/ISPOILER]
If you have a high prescription, it even deforms your face making you extra subhuman.

Now if you Google "myopia cures" you'll find either:
1) Surgery (LASIK, PRK, etc) fine print: you might not end up with zero correction, and will almost surely need to wear correction again in the future
2) Buy this guide for just $199.95 (so you sunken-cost-fallacy yourself into the delusion that it's working)

I had surgery in like... 2010? Can't remember
I went for a personalized PRK to shave off 6 diopters on both eyes at the same time cuz yolo, it was supposed to "fix" astigmatism as well as keeping the door open for re-doing the surgery if my prescription increased over time (you can't redo LASIK). Came out of the surgery seeing clearer that I have ever seen, even with glasses or contacts (astigmatism was better but not 100%).
Fast-forward 6 or 7 years I'm noticing I'm squinting a bit reading some stuff (captioned movies on the TV for example), and thought to myself: "welp, guess it's time to re-do the surgery, it's been such a long time it was totally worth it, probably this time will be the last as well since I'm older then it will increase slower." :bluepill:
So I booked an appointment with my ophthalmologist to measure my prescription: -1 and -1.25 with a 20/50 Snellen. So I said "yeah I'll milk this one out a bit more."

Now it's 2020, and did you read the fine print of option #1? Yeah that happens.
But the weird thing is that even though my myopia got a little bit worse after the surgery, it stopped getting worse for the last 3 years or so. In fact, it got better! Ever since I had setup new screens at home on my computer, that were just a tad bit farther than where the older ones used to be, I had to consciously focus from time to time. Now I focus on them no prob.
Some time ago I stumbled across this video (skip to 18:00 if the timestamp doesn't work):

It all made too much sense, especially considering my own experience post-surgery. I have been print-pushing without knowing what it was.
This also rings true with people that I know that have "given up" on upgrading their prescription, and have since stopped worsening their myopia.

Now I've gone the extra mile, and bought cheap frames with PLUS 1 lenses. I wear them at home, when on the computer (easy 2 hours minimum every day, more like 6) and lo and behold, I now need to consciously focus (still can do), but when the glasses come off the world is crystal fucking clear. Shit's mind blowing.
It's been about a month I've been using these lenses, but I'm thoroughly convinced this works, I can read traffic signs more clearly, building numbers when driving, those overhead menus on fast food joints... The final test was when I printed out a Snellen chart and tested myself - result: 20/30

I'll continue to wear these lenses for about 4 more weeks, then I'll buy some +2 lenses and try to master them as well.
You must keep things in that sweet spot when it starts blurry then it sharpens, if it's too blurry your brain gives up and you get nothing.

Will keep you guys posted.
Goal is 20/20 with a lofty goal of 20/15 because fuck average.

>inb4 shoo shoo begone zennioptical rep

Glasses make you look like a disabled child it's over for you

• +1
Reactions: Deepraj7 and john2
@Wannabe6ft2 Buy cheap frames online and +1.0 lenses, use them while you're on the PC at home. It's what I'm doing.

Glasses make you look like a disabled child it's over for you
That's what we're trying to avoid.

@siliconvalleycel Ok, so are you saying that instead of doing it the way the video is teaching (without lenses), go and buy +1 lenses and do it the way the video teaches? Sort of like eyemewing with an appliance?

@siliconvalleycel Ok, so are you saying that instead of doing it the way the video is teaching (without lenses), go and buy +1 lenses and do it the way the video teaches? Sort of like eyemewing with an appliance?
I'm saying, if you're myopic by only 1 degree, you should get +1.0 lenses (-1.0 would fix the myopia, 0.0 you won't work enough)
If you have like 6 diopters, then get -4 lenses (you would need -6 to "fix" the myopia, -4 will make you work)

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9919
I'm saying, if you're myopic by only 1 degree, you should get +1.0 lenses (-1.0 would fix the myopia, 0.0 you won't work enough)
If you have like 6 diopters, then get -4 lenses (you would need -6 to "fix" the myopia, -4 will make you work)

Ah ok, I get you now. Just go lower to make your eyes really work at it. Thanks!

Ah ok, I get you now. Just go lower to make your eyes really work at it. Thanks!
Yeah just don't go too far or you won't see shit and your brain will just "give up"
I bet you can find the sweet spot, where you can't quite see clearly but if you blink once or twice you'll see, just need lenses to make that distance match the distance you use the most to read (ie on your PC screen most likely)

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9919 and Mouthbreath
I will try this. But I can cope quite well with contact lenses.

Yeah just don't go too far or you won't see shit and your brain will just "give up"
I bet you can find the sweet spot, where you can't quite see clearly but if you blink once or twice you'll see, just need lenses to make that distance match the distance you use the most to read (ie on your PC screen most likely)

Do you also happen to know how to deal with the cycl and axis values when I obtain the lower prescriptions?

A bit of a necro on my own thread but I just got a message asking if it worked so I'll post it here as well:
Tl;dr Went from -1.25 on both eyes to -0.5 and -1.0, with room for improvement, the method works, I'm fully convinced.

The whole story:
I needed correction of -1.25 on both eyes, myopia. I bought plus glasses of +1.0, +1.25 and +1.5
I'm a programmer, so I try to wear them for at least 2 hours a day but aim for 4 hours.
1.0 was easy as fuck, I wore that for about a month then went for 1.25, stayed with that for about 3 months then went for +1.5 and it was just on the edge of visibility (this is important, keep reading), I managed to adapt to it but didn't buy other glasses because I was waiting to get perfect vision on 1.5 (perfect in the context of a screen like 10 inches from my face, anything farther is blurry, as should be).
Then I started flaking, not doing it every day etc.
I went to the optometrist and got a new result:

Left eye: -0.5 (very significant, I noticed straight away when doing the Snellen chart)
Right eye: -1.0 (might be a measurement fluctuation, but it felt better than other times)

The vast improvement blew me away, it was noticeable on the chart and in measurement. I'm fully convinced this worked. The right eye not doing so great also explained some things, when you consider "dominant eye" ophthalmologists often get kids to wear eye patches to force the non dominant eye to work, so I believe my left eye was dominant, improved faster than the right one and then the right one couldn't keep up to +1.5, that's why I didn't get perfect vision on the 1.5
So... I got an eye patch, covered my left eye and oh boy, my right one had to start over at 1.25, but it progressed faster so I'm wearing 1.5 with the patch now (it's been two weeks).
Along with the eye patch I bought +1.75 and +2.0 glasses, my left eye handles 1.75 fine (edge of visibility on the PC screen) and I leave the +2.0 on my nightstand, to read books (no patch).
I plan to focus on getting the right one comfortable with 1.5 and then I'll drop the patch and continue with 1.75 on both eyes, progressing as I see fit. You can't go too fast because if the vision is too blurry your eye just "gives up" on focusing and doesn't improve, that's why you need to keep things in the edge of visibility, that's why my right eye didn't improve at first.
As for an estimate, if you prescription is small, I'd say about a month for the first 0.25 diopter and three months for each 0.25 thereafter. It's not linear, you'll get bouts of improvements and plateaus, but stick to it and you'll see results.

Bear in mind that I just figured out this eye patch thing in the last couple of weeks, so I'm not done with my journey, but I'm adamant I'll get there.

Can I not wear my glasses instead of wearing glasses with a weaker prescription? I think this would work fine.

A bit of a necro on my own thread but I just got a message asking if it worked so I'll post it here as well:
Tl;dr Went from -1.25 on both eyes to -0.5 and -1.0, with room for improvement, the method works, I'm fully convinced.

The whole story:
I needed correction of -1.25 on both eyes, myopia. I bought plus glasses of +1.0, +1.25 and +1.5
I'm a programmer, so I try to wear them for at least 2 hours a day but aim for 4 hours.
1.0 was easy as fuck, I wore that for about a month then went for 1.25, stayed with that for about 3 months then went for +1.5 and it was just on the edge of visibility (this is important, keep reading), I managed to adapt to it but didn't buy other glasses because I was waiting to get perfect vision on 1.5 (perfect in the context of a screen like 10 inches from my face, anything farther is blurry, as should be).
Then I started flaking, not doing it every day etc.
I went to the optometrist and got a new result:

Left eye: -0.5 (very significant, I noticed straight away when doing the Snellen chart)
Right eye: -1.0 (might be a measurement fluctuation, but it felt better than other times)

The vast improvement blew me away, it was noticeable on the chart and in measurement. I'm fully convinced this worked. The right eye not doing so great also explained some things, when you consider "dominant eye" ophthalmologists often get kids to wear eye patches to force the non dominant eye to work, so I believe my left eye was dominant, improved faster than the right one and then the right one couldn't keep up to +1.5, that's why I didn't get perfect vision on the 1.5
So... I got an eye patch, covered my left eye and oh boy, my right one had to start over at 1.25, but it progressed faster so I'm wearing 1.5 with the patch now (it's been two weeks).
Along with the eye patch I bought +1.75 and +2.0 glasses, my left eye handles 1.75 fine (edge of visibility on the PC screen) and I leave the +2.0 on my nightstand, to read books (no patch).
I plan to focus on getting the right one comfortable with 1.5 and then I'll drop the patch and continue with 1.75 on both eyes, progressing as I see fit. You can't go too fast because if the vision is too blurry your eye just "gives up" on focusing and doesn't improve, that's why you need to keep things in the edge of visibility, that's why my right eye didn't improve at first.
As for an estimate, if you prescription is small, I'd say about a month for the first 0.25 diopter and three months for each 0.25 thereafter. It's not linear, you'll get bouts of improvements and plateaus, but stick to it and you'll see results.

Bear in mind that I just figured out this eye patch thing in the last couple of weeks, so I'm not done with my journey, but I'm adamant I'll get there.
well? are you still doing this?