GH mogs BSSO - fix your overbite nonsurgically! [OVERBITECELS GTFIH]

sandcelmuttcel

sandcelmuttcel

Kraken

The purpose of this study was to illustrate the effects of growth hormone (GH) therapy and fixed functional appliance treatment in a 13-year-old Class II malocclusion patient without GH deficiency. GH has been shown to effectively increase endochondral growth and induce a more prognathic skeletal pattern. Although a major concern in Class II retrognathic patients is chin deficiency, long-term studies have shown that the mandibular growth enhancement effects of functional appliances are clinically insignificant. This case report demonstrates that the mandible grew significantly during fixed functional appliance treatment combined with GH therapy, with stable results during 2 years 11 months of retention. More studies are needed to evaluate GH therapy as a supplement in Class II treatment.

Effects of growth hormone and functional appliance on mandibular growth in an adolescent rat model

m_i0003-3219-88-5-624-f04.png

Here we see 1mm increase in mandibular length following GH therapy alone in adolescent rat (22mm vs 23mm). That's a 5% increase. Now let's compare that to a human(me) with an overbite and a jaw length of 16.6cm. 16.6cm + 5% (0.8cm) = 17.4cm(!) (Normal sized mandible should have a length within or above 17.22–19.33 cm in males) [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3591016/] The average BSSO will bring your jaw forward on average 0.6cm (that's a 4% increase) and anything above that you increase the risk of complications.

Now my theory on how to fix overbite nonsurgically in an adult class II case.

Alright. Since GH grows your jaw and potentially all of your craniofacial region even after you have finished your growth

you could theoretically treat a class ii patient with GH therapy and a headgear, inorder to prevent your maxilla growing forwards and letting the lower jaw come forward and catch up in growth, which will in effect bring your jaws to a class I occlusion.

tl;dr GH brings equal or higher increase in mandibular length compared to BSSO but GH therapy in orthodontics is still in experimental stage.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: AscendingHero, forwardgrowth and Deleted member 7125
okay but this is adolescents, most people here are not adolescents. I know skull bones keep growing well into adulthood ofc, but you cant be seriously saying that some nonsurgical appliance with GH will be more cost effective than BSSO

DFJkKQDXsAAYIkC

worked for him

• Woah
Reactions: AscendingHero
okay but this is adolescents, most people here are not adolescents. I know skull bones keep growing well into adulthood ofc, but you cant be seriously saying that some nonsurgical appliance with GH will be more cost effective than BSSO
first. as rich piana explains in the video (which i assume you didn't click) GH brings significant craniofacial growth (to the point caps couldn't fit in his head). rich piana is obviously not an adolescent. second. i never claimed this method to be more cost effective than bsso procedure.

Getting only 6mm BSSO to "avoid complications" is stupid for most cases unless you're trying to do the bare minimum

first. as rich piana explains in the video (which i assume you didn't click) GH brings significant craniofacial growth (to the point caps couldn't fit in his head). rich piana is obviously not an adolescent. second. i never claimed this method to be more cost effective than bsso procedure.
I have personally taken gh and yes my jaw did widen a little. But u have to be careful because u can become crimson chin if u take too much. hgh has more affects on jaw than on maxilla , side effects u risk are huge nose and caveman like supraorbital ridges

• +1
Reactions: SPFromNY914
Getting only 6mm BSSO to "avoid complications" is stupid for most cases unless you're trying to do the bare minimum
anything above and you are better off with IMDO procedure.

anything above and you are better off with IMDO procedure.
Why? Only a select few doctors actually offer it and BSSO has been used for a century. 8mm bsso can be done safely and even THAT isn't enough for some people with class II.

• +1
Reactions: ScramFranklin
Why? Only a select few doctors actually offer it and BSSO has been used for a century. 8mm bsso can be done safely and even THAT isn't enough for some people with class II.
look for distraction osteogenesis since it's the same thing as IMDO. IMDO is just a brand name for the procedure by australian surgeon.