Guide & Rules for taking photos, is WRONG (for phone-camera)

eduardkoopman

eduardkoopman

Sub-Mod
In the "Guide & Rules" for rating.
It says this about pictures:

"take pictures of your front and side profile while holding the camera not too far away from your face nor too close, simply hold your phone and extend your arm as far as possible for best results."

This is wrong. And will distort faces, with people that use a phone-camera.
I'll tell why.

Arm-length selfie distance? Well, it's about 60 cm or 24 inches.
What do I know. Well at 30cm/12 inches your nose will look about 30%wider then it is. (and other stuff likely gets morphed/disproportioned as well I assume)

What is the ideal distance, for no morphing to happen? About 152cm / 5 feet. That's more then 2 times the arm length one uses when taking selfie with just using 1 arm.

Source: https://www.livescience.com/61896-why-selfies-distort-your-face-math.html

TL;DR take selfie at 152cm / 5 feet distance with phone camera. And fuck the suggestion in the Guide & Rules on this aspect, it's wrong.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Atem Rah, Lars, AlwaysHaveQuestions and 9 others

"take pictures of your front and side profile while holding the camera not too far away from your face nor too close, simply hold your phone and extend your arm as far as possible for best results."

I'll tell why.

What do I know. Well at 30cm/12 inches your nose will look about 30%wider then it is. (and other stuff likely gets morphed/disproportioned as well I assume)

What is the ideal distance, for no morphing to happen? About 152cm / 5 feet. That's more then 2 times the arm length one uses when taking selfie with just using 1 arm.

Source: https://www.livescience.com/61896-why-selfies-distort-your-face-math.html

TL;DR take selfie at 152cm / 5 feet distance with phone camera. And fuck the suggestion in the Guide & Rules on this aspect, it's wrong.

So basically buy a selfie stick, adjust it to arm’s length, and hold it out (so arm length + selfie stick adjusted to arm length = double arm length) and take selfies?

So basically buy a selfie stick, adjust it to arm’s length, and hold it out (so arm length + selfie stick adjusted to arm length = double arm length) and take selfies?
Get as close as possible to that 152cm / 5 feet as possible. imo. Double arm length should be around 130 cm orso. So maybe ad a little bit for ideal. Although 130 cm is likely, also already very close to undistorted.
Distortions, can be massive.

Most people are very detailed and precise about ratio's, and stuff in rating.

And then there is near zero guidance, or put importance onto. Actually creating an unmorph picture of your face.

For example. This guy on the right would get the rating: GAME OVER, rope you long faced low width uggo.
Wheras he would get with the left photo: normie, could get some with effort.

main-qimg-197d07d8b20ae191c1b9a1731c078d01.webp

Or another example.
And see. It's massive important, that peope take a good picture. IF they are going to take the ratings as serious as most/some people do.

Screen-Shot-2018-03-28-at-5.07.29-PM-800x450.png

focus2-1024x502.jpg

First photo in this post (that didn't upload), was this one:
main-qimg-edae7cd91fe1d2ce8b2049cf31b7c9b5-c

In motion, of the importance of distance:

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: CopingForLife, Over, Almu and 1 other person
Unappreciated thread.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1707, eduardkoopman and Deleted member 439
I'm gonna buy a selfie stick to get more tinder matches

I'm gonna buy a selfie stick to get more tinder matches
To add. You need a quality/high pixel camera on phone to make good/sharp pictures at 150cm distance

Fantastic thread OP

• +1
Reactions: eduardkoopman
never noticed there was a guide. Agree, that is a retarded guideline. 5' minimum distance

• +1
Reminder that if you are good looking then lens disortion wont affect you too much.

• +1
Reactions: no_hope_left
  • +1
Reactions: FreakkForLife, Chadelite and eduardkoopman
like you would know OP jfl, if you sent anyone your mug youd be able to tell how shit u r at taking pictures, dont get the point of this thread

Bump.

The best selfies are not taken with selfie-sticks but with drones or tripods. You could ask a bystander to take your pic as well but that's a hit or miss. Tripods are the best. Drones with the auto-following feature are top tier when you're outdoors - hiking, for e.g. and want to take a natural-looking candid shot from the ideal angle and focal length.

• Love it
Reactions: Bluepill
Reminder that if you are good looking then lens disortion wont affect you too much.
Disagree fam. It depends on your features e.g a big nose fucks up a face from distortion as its way closer to the lens in comparison to a smaller nose. but irl isnt that big of a failo.
I bet you people who dont suffer from lens distortion all have smaller noses

I'll tell why.

Legit. I used to take horrible pictures of myself for years. I thought I was really really ugly.

• +1