[High IQ Only][LOOKSMAX EXCLUSIVE] Reviewing results from LL research papers

E

epictroll

Silver
Posting here instead of LimbLengtheningForum because there are more high IQs here.

LL progress paper, covers the past `00 years of LL and development of techniques

PRECISE development paper, predicts an increase in demand for stature lengthening due to the ease of the PRECISE system compared to externals.

Stryde development paper, reviews the new fully-weight bearing Stryde system.

Highlights:

History paper
  • Limb lengthening started in 1905.
  • Good summaries on external fixators/LON/LATN but too low IQ to truly understand and summarize them here.
Precise paper
  • Mean lengthening for stature, cosmetic reasons was only 4.6cm!
  • Implantation surgery is 22 steps.
  • Mean healing time and return to weight bearing is mean 125 days! (range 52-262 days)
STRYDE paper
  • Range of limb lengthening Stryde male patients 147-179cm with mean of 165.4cm. (Hope for 5'10" copers).
  • Weight bearing with Stryde begins 2-3 weeks after surgery, it is recommended to walk with a cane
  • Successful outcomes achieved in all 106 patients.
  • 52/57 stature (cosmetic) patients lengthened to within 10mm of their goals.
  • Table 2, of all the 5 stature (cosmetic) patients who did not reach their goals, they at least lengthened a mean of 5cm.
  • No structural breakage in 187 nails
  • A week after surgery, the patent is switched from oxycodone/hydrocone to light pain medications (only acetaminophen)
  • The surgery is 16 steps for femurs, 18 steps for tibias. The process is overall very similar to PRECISE.
  • There were no biocompatibility issues reported in this paper, but that was later found to be false (and STRYDE was recalled).
General feelings:

The procedure for both Precise/STRYDEs seem relatively straightforward. It was pretty shocking to read the processes for LL step by step like a fucking cookbook. It doesn't seem nearly as gruesome as copers here make it out to be, and the fact that after a week patients are on light pain meds seems promising that pain levels should generally be low.

Paley was involved in all of these papers and he seems like the world-class expert, especially having been involved with the development of both PRECISE/Stryde. His knowledge and history of involvement in LL is unparalleled.

The PRECISE paper says the procedure is very simple, much more simple compared to externals, and predicts a rise in surgeries performed for cosmetic reasons, greatly outnumbering the amount of surgeries done for deformity cases. The main issue, stated in the paper, is that while the procedure is straightforward the unfavorable outcomes like infections may not be familiar nor to all surgeons.

The fact that people can once again walk slowly after 2-3 weeks of STRYDE is phenomenal to me. I'm skeptical on how well you can truly walk while having a nail inside you and also lengthening your bones daily.

PRECISE has a long time to return to weight bearing (125 days)! I wonder if that influences long-term recovery. Does PRECISE have a worse long term recovery than STRYDE?

I'm surprised at the lack of complications in 106 STRYDE patients, in general all these papers pose a very rosy view of limb lengthening. I googled for studies that evaluated long-term athletic ability, flexibility of patients but could not find any. I am curious if Paley keeps records of this himself. It was interesting to see that almost all 5 of the Stryde patients who stopped did so due to reduced range of motion at knee, how did they detect this reduced range of motion, and how were they confident that it was not just a side effect of having nails inside their legs?

Honestly, LL does seems nowhere nearly as bad as the "muh gruesome torture bone splitting" retards on here make it out to be. The truth behind those copers is; they can't afford the cost. LL starts at $110k with Paley and with inflation that's probably overdue for an increase as well. In addition (not in these papers, but I've generally read), it's advised to keep $30k or so of additional funds to cover surgeries for poor outcomes. Additionally, you need money to maintain yourself, pay for rent, pay for a nurse, during these months that you are immobile.

What is disappointing to me is that one segment surgeries are likely limited to about 6cm, meaning that to get a 10cm increase you need to operate femurs/tibias, leading to an increase in complication risk, and cost, doing both femurs/tibias starts at $200k with Paley.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: sub5inchcel, SeiGun, mvp2v1 and 2 others
Most users here have the attention span of a monkey, seems like a high effort good thread tho so repped (y)

Good thread. LL will be a mainstream cosmetic surgery in 10-20 years I think.

Can’t wait for Stryde as that almost halfs the time spent on traditional methods such as precise.

I’ll be getting Stryde with Paley once it comes out again or an equivalent. Weight bearing nail is the future!

orthodontic for leg

• +1
Reactions: sub5inchcel
just spend 5 morbillion dollars to mangle your legs and have impaired functioning for life to be exactly as ugly as you are right now, but 10 cm taller theory.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: currentjoys and spyspy
Wrong information.

The limit is 8cm with Stryde, it's just most people aren't dumb enough to go over 5-6cm, increasing pain and risk of complications. There are nails that can push to 10cm or so. No one is going to stop you from pushing further, especially if you're not very short. Taller people can lengthen more.

Also you can do LON with a good European doctor at 25-30k or so. It's not that unaffordable.