How does chewing make the jaw wider even despite having no effect on bigonial width?

L

lilhorizontal32

Equinox
iirc it hypertrophies the masseter muscle, but is there an aesthetic difference between increasing bigonial width via an implant/osteotomy vs hypetrophying the masseters?

if so, how much of our jaw width is made up by the masseters vs gonions themselves (jaw bone)? surgeon says he can increase bigonial width during bimax but I want to determine how much will be ideal for me given the size of my masseter muscles and in proportion with my bizygomatic width

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: AsGoodAsItGets
its time to go outside

GettyImages 1180163343 99ad0255fe014cbe9631c84ca264ec02

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: A L P H A M A L E, Tallwizrd, Deleted member 10107 and 11 others
iirc it hypertrophies the masseter muscle, but is there an aesthetic difference between increasing bigonial width via an implant/osteotomy vs hypetrophying the masseters?

For masseter hypertrophy to look good you already need a wideish mandible. Think of Hexum or Pitt, both have bulging masseters that look amazing, but the reason why they look amazing (apart from low bf ofc) is that both already have relatively wide mandibles. In their case the hypertrophy only adds to the lower third, it makes it flare out even more and stretches the skin. Masseters are naturally rounded muscles, if you were to chew with your jaw, I believe the jaw would end up with a really weird and unpleasant. shape. Imo it's best to just save up for implants or in ur case bimax. You may try it out to see how it looks, but again, be aware of what I told you.

if so, how much of our jaw width is made up by the masseters vs gonions themselves (jaw bone)?
Depends on the person
surgeon says he can increase bigonial width during bimax but I want to determine how much will be ideal for me given the size of my masseter muscles and in proportion with my bizygomatic width

Don't be worried to much about the ratio of the width and masseters lmao. Its a muscle u can atrophy and hypertrophy them whenever you want.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: lilhorizontal32, AsGoodAsItGets and AlwaysHaveQuestions
For masseter hypertrophy to look good you already need a wideish mandible. Think of Hexum or Pitt, both have bulging masseters that look amazing, but the reason why they look amazing (apart from low bf ofc) is that both already have relatively wide mandibles. In their case the hypertrophy only adds to the lower third, it makes it flare out even more and stretches the skin. Masseters are naturally rounded muscles, if you were to chew with your jaw, I believe the jaw would end up with a really weird and unpleasant. shape. Imo it's best to just save up for implants or in ur case bimax. You may try it out to see how it looks, but again, be aware of what I told you.

Depends on the person

Don't be worried to much about the ratio of the width and masseters lmao. Its a muscle u can atrophy and hypertrophy them whenever you want.
i think massetter muscle shape also depend on genetic like muscle insertion

• +1
Reactions: lilhorizontal32 and Jason Voorhees

Depends on the person

thanks a lot man, great answer

and also didnt know that masseters were always rounded. because Ive seen people with sharp jaw angles so I'm guessing they just have very weak masseter muscles?

like this guy:

f you were to chew with your jaw, I believe the jaw would end up with a really weird and unpleasant. shape. Imo it's best to just save up for implants or in ur case bimax. You may try it out to see how it looks, but again, be aware of what I told you.
isn't chewing and masseteric hypertrophy considered a looksmax though, so why do you think it would look weird? unless you are saying that I should first increase my bigonial width with the implants/osteotomy before starting chewing