How many Languages should we Speak?

Polish is west slavic though unlike the ukrainian variant of russian
Ukrainian and Russian are almost completely diff languages. Russians do not understand what we say for shit.

Ukrainian and Russian are almost completely diff languages. Russians do not understand what we say for shit.
Languages aren't defined by intelligibility a moroccan and a yemeni won't understand each other when they speak their venaculars but they both speak arabic

• +1
Reactions: HighIQcel
Languages aren't defined by intelligibility a moroccan and a yemeni won't understand each other when they speak their venaculars but they both speak arabic
Hm, maybe you are right. I am not very knowledgeable on this topic. I speak Ukrainian in daily life, and I like it, it sounds soft and beautiful, although useless language in terms of business/communication with the world.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9488 and lutte
Hm, maybe you are right. I am not very knowledgeable on this topic. I speak Ukrainian in daily life, and I like it, it sounds soft and beautiful, although useless language in terms of business/communication with the world.
Like Hindi

English, North America
Spanish, Latin America
arabic, middle east
Mandarin, Asia

I don't like China and the Middle East, so I would switch to Japanese and some European language.

• +1
Reactions: .🇹🇩. and Beetlejuice
Or Urdu or Hebrew
Hebrew seems like a nice language and a lot of people learn it to be able to read the old testament, I don't know how different ancient and modern hebrew are though

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 756
I speak English Spanish German and norwegian

How would someone go about becoming fluent in 6 different languages tbh? Do you have to travel a lot in order to be able to practice them and therefore become fluent

• +1
Reactions: soontobechadlite and Deleted member 6939
depends

Everyone should speak English in the modern world it is a fact

It really depends what you plan to do with the languages you are learning

German, French, and Spanish will be very versatile and with those plus English you can converse with basically all of North America South America and Africa (excluding Arabic from the North African countries)

You hear a lot to learn Mandarin but unless you plan to do business with Chinese companies then it is useless

Arabic is useful as well but there are a lot of different Dialects same with the Indian languages

I would say that knowing 2-3 languages is an amazing skillset that everyone should aim for, I was lucky to be brought up in a bilingual home and I am currently learning Mandarin out of sheer enjoyment which will be my third language.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4106 and .🇹🇩.
Hebrew seems like a nice language and a lot of people learn it to be able to read the old testament, I don't know how different ancient and modern hebrew are though
Modern Hebrew is less than 150 years old. It was made by European Jews and has a lot of Germanic and Slavic influences.

yiddish incidentally sounds very Dutch

• +1
Reactions: Wallenberg, Deleted member 6939 and lutte
How would someone go about becoming fluent in 6 different languages tbh? Do you have to travel a lot in order to be able to practice them and therefore become fluent
that would be ideal and people do that, there are some good YouTube Channels out there that discuss Multilanguage learning

• +1
Reactions: .🇹🇩. and Deleted member 9488
No. There are apps to find people to teach language to you.

Also sometimes language exchange is thinly disguised dating.

• Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 9488
that would be ideal and people do that, there are some good YouTube Channels out there that discuss Multilanguage learning
Thanks, will check that out. I currently speak 3 languages: English, French, and my background language of Macedonian (it's a slav language). I can also understand a little italian too due to Duolingo jfl. I'm thinking of possibly learning Spanish, German, and possibly an Oriental language like Chinese or Japanese, but if I were to learn them I want to be fluent, not just conversational in terms of level

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6939
It's better to learn one or two languages well than being able to ask where the toilet is in a dozen
People use "fluent" too liberally

• +1
Reactions: Beetlejuice, Deleted member 9488, Deleted member 756 and 1 other person
Thanks, will check that out. I currently speak 3 languages: English, French, and my background language of Macedonian (it's a slav language). I can also understand a little italian too due to Duolingo jfl. I'm thinking of possibly learning Spanish, German, and possibly an Oriental language like Chinese or Japanese, but if I were to learn them I want to be fluent, not just conversational in terms of level
Japanese and English are my current languages that I am fluent in, I suggest to learn Mandarin over Japanese only because Chinese is more useful

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9488
Btw OP told me he's a 6'7 Indian living in Sweden who gets heightmogged by women daily
6ft6, and thrice a month. (only when I stay out in crowded places for 20+ hours)

• JFL
Reactions: lutte
It's better to learn one or two languages well than being able to ask where the toilet is in a dozen
People use "fluent" too liberally
tbh. i feel like i'll probably become fluent in German and Mandarin or Japanese, and then learn a little bit of Spanish just for fun since I like learning languages.

• +1
Reactions: lutte and .🇹🇩.
tbh. i feel like i'll probably become fluent in German and Mandarin or Japanese, and then learn a little bit of Spanish just for fun since I like learning languages.
may I ask why german tho? What's with all these german comments? am I missing something? why would you learn german?

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: lutte and Deleted member 9488
may I ask why german tho? What's with all these german comments? am I missing something? why would you learn german?
tbh, i feel like it's a nice language to know, and since I already speak english, german shouldn't be too hard to learn. not to mention it would be useful for philosophy maxxer like me, who could learn to understand famous works by german philosophers.

• +1
Reactions: .🇹🇩.
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9488 and .🇹🇩.
it's a very culturally rich language
I have been to Germany, didn't find it special bro, plus people are too racists there. I have been to 20+ countries btw, my cousins live there and they live a sad life, even with so many benefits and good laws.

• +1
I have been to Germany, didn't find it special bro, plus people are too racists there. I have been to 20+ countries btw, my cousins live there and they live a sad life, even with so many benefits and good laws.
Yeah honestly Germany is not a nice country and germans are kinda wierd but what I said earlier is still true

• +1
Reactions: Wallenberg
Yeah honestly Germany is not a nice country and germans are kinda wierd but what I said earlier is still true
I wish the allies ruled Germany for a little longer, they left an entire weird mess lol. tbh, I have been there 2 times, wouldn't go again. I love Sweden and Poland in Europe. out of all the places I have traveled, I would rank Germany the last tbh. I have traveled like entire north India and lived in villages, people there were poor but so friendly and welcoming, felt like home, infact anywhere I traveled felt like home because of nice people, except germany tbhngl, as a brown male I would say its the only contry i faced racism.

• +1