How To Measure Forward Growth ?

randomvanish

randomvanish

České srdce, otevřené všem!
With CT scan and by side pictures ?

I know already "how" actually but need some solid researchs/references to get real.

@DatGuyYouLike @RealSurgerymax @Sergio-OMS @Pubertymaxxingcel

by girls liking you inel

• JFL
Reactions: court monarch777
Look at the nasion--that’s the point on the top of the nose and bottom of the forehead where the skull and face meet. Drawing an imaginary line straight down from that point reveals the extent of facial growth. The further the face is forward of that line the more the face is forward grown.

How to Measure Forward Growth?​

This method, called the Facial Plane in Photometric Analysis, makes testing and appreciating forward growth very easy. Nonetheless, as simple and clear as this measurement is, it does not provide any figures to work with and is significantly prone to error because it requires the head to be completely level.

Since forward head posture has become pandemic, most people subconsciously tilt their heads’ backward. This moves the upper part of the head backward and the bottom forward, making the test results incorrect.

Hence, a person with a recessed face and forward head posture will appear to have a forward grown face with this test. Due to muscle imbalances, correcting this before taking a picture is very difficult. With enough information however, it’s possible to correct it after, by tilting the picture to level the head. Nonetheless, the results will look awkward.

To avoid all of this, cosmetic surgeons use different methods of measurement. Instead of drawing imaginary lines they plot angles. This nullifies the head tilt issue and provides standardized numbers for objective assessment.

One such measurement is called the Facial Convexity Angle. It works by measuring the relation between the most prominent points on the brow ridge (G), and on the upper and lower jaws (SN, PG). Connecting these points usually yields an angle in the range of 175° to 145°. The higher the degree the further forward the face is.

Applying this to the two pictures below provides 174° for the first and 158° for the second. The first person has a forward face whereas the second one has a recessed face. Roughly speaking, faces that are 165° and above are considered forward, and faces under that are recessed.

Obviously this measurement did a good job illustrating the extent of growth on the two pictures above, but it’s not perfect. Many things can throw it off including a very prominent brow ridge or a very recessed lower jaw. That’s because the measurement is attempting to measure two things, the position of the upper and lower jaws, in one angle.

Each jaw can grow disproportionally of the other, hence the terms retrognathic and prognathic in orthodontics. In fact, Orthodontists use two different angles, referred to as SNA and SNB in cephalometric analysis, to determine the position of the face. Those give a more accurate measure but are highly technical and require an x-ray for hard tissue points.

To overcome this challenge without x-rays cosmetic surgeons use additional measures to form a more complete understanding of the face. Such measures take into account many other factors such as the size and position of the nose and lips for example. After all, forward growth is not the-be-it-all measure of beauty. There are people who are forward grown and don’t look good. (PICTURE)

Nonetheless, forward growth is highly correlated with beauty and the Facial Convexity Angle is pretty effective in measuring it. To illustrate, below are samples of popular actors and their angles plotted. You will find good evidence of this correlation.

Attachments

• 1615133211331.png
    1615133211331.png
    882.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 1615133265922.png
    1615133265922.png
    375.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 1615133288942.png
    1615133288942.png
    444.6 KB · Views: 49
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Forgotten, Deleted member 8244, AcneScars and 1 other person
Where the nodtrils begin relative to eyes, in side profile. The more ahead nostrils start the more forward growth of mouth and maxilla. Jaw will also be forward grown unless overbite or something.

• +1
Reactions: randomvanish
@randomvanish would you like me to explain this in more detail?

• +1
Reactions: AcneScars
@randomvanish would you like me to explain this in more detail?
not that i don't trust this forum but would be better to see researchs like explaining with frankfurt plane etc.

• +1
Reactions: Selinity
not that i don't trust this forum but would be better to see researchs like explaining with frankfurt plane etc.
Then you'd like me to send you a study?

• +1
Reactions: AcneScars
Then you'd like me to send you a study?

i found this thanks but i just couldn't find research (in pubmed etc.)

• +1
Reactions: Selinity

i found this thanks but i just couldn't find research (in pubmed etc.)
check https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/ it has the biggest selection of studies, journals etc that I've seen thus far.

• +1
Reactions: AcneScars and randomvanish
With CT scan and by side pictures ?

I know already "how" actually but need some solid researchs/references to get real.
I only use CT scan and osseous references to do that. You can measure as you wish. Although current trends rely more on soft tissue landmarks and in natural head position.

• +1
Reactions: randomvanish