Indian teen dies of tapeworm infestation in brain

horizontallytall

horizontallytall

"Every cope has an end ":psalm 14:3
A report published Friday details a severe case in which a tapeworm infected an 18-year-old Indian boy’s brain, eventually leading to his death two weeks after he was admitted into an emergency room.

The infection, called cysticercosis, is caused by the larva of a parasite called Taenia solium — the pork tapeworm — which create cysts in various parts of the body. In the United States, there are about 1,000 hospitalizations from the infection every year. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) considers the disease one of five neglected parasitic infections that are in need of public health efforts to improve monitoring, prevention and treatment.

Here’s what need to know about cysticercosis and the parasite that causes it.

The infections is transmitted by the larva of the tapeworm​

Cysticercosis is transmitted via infected human feces containing the microscopic eggs of the T. solium tapeworm. One way this can happen is from being infected by the tapeworm — called taeniasis — then shedding the eggs in stool. If the eggs make it to the person’s food or another person’s food, then that person is at risk of cysticercosis, which causes the cysts to develop anywhere in the body, including the muscles, heart, eyes, brain or spinal cord. Although pork itself cannot give a person cysticercosis, pork that’s not cooked properly can pass on the taeniasis.

The parasite mostly appears in underdeveloped countries​

T. solium is most commonly found in Latin America, Asia and sub-Saharan Africa, where there is poorer sanitation and pigs are more likely to come into contact with human feces. As many as 8.3 million people in these regions are estimated to be suffering from neurocysticercosis, the version of the disease that affects the brain and spinal cord, according to the World Health Organization. The 18-year-old boy described in the report also had neurocysticercosis.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: n9wiff
Inagine being me who never ate meat in his life, come in contact with such indian and lose my life over this or become permanently disabled,, total isolation from my indian brothers from nowonwards

• +1
Reactions: n9wiff and datboijj
Inagine being me who never ate meat in his life, come in contact with such indian and lose my life over this or become permanently disabled,, total isolation from my indian brothers from nowonwards
you really never ate meat before? Its yummy you know

• +1
Reactions: n9wiff and horizontallytall
8.3 million in Indian regions wow thank god I wasn't born in India 25% chance of that happening before your born

• +1
Reactions: ThraxxGlo, n9wiff, horizontallytall and 1 other person
8.3 million in Indian regions wow thank god I wasn't born in India 25% chance of that happening before your born
No it means 8.3 million in sub saharan region, asia and latin america as a whole

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: n9wiff