Is distraction osteogenesis possible in adults? If so, why don't they do it with orthognathic surgeries and other osteotomies?

Deleted member 399

Deleted member 399

White Worshiping Eugenicist Curry Scum
Ideal scenario would be to get osteotomies like chin wing, zygomatic sandwich, BSSO with distraction osteogenesis, the same way we do limb lengthening and clavicle lengthening. Why don't surgeons do this?

I think most of them would be afraid to perform this.

I think most of them would be afraid to perform this.
This was already been done. Look at this:

Here's the Google search: https://www.google.com/search?q=+di...rlz=1C1CHBD_enCA853CA853#imgrc=dbi-h3YWBoq6oM

• +1
Reactions: needsolution
  • +1
Reactions: middayshowers
But u know most surgeons prefer to stick with procedures they know well and have performed in past. Most reputable surgeons are too high inhib to try something they didnt do before because they dont want to fuck up something and ruin their reputation.
That's true, but that means you need to search hard. There are surgeons doing DO. Check out this amazing result below:

That's true, but that means you need to search hard. There are surgeons doing DO. Check out this amazing result below:
Yeah thats pretty solid result.

Because osteotomies are instant and more predictable.
Even though I consider DOs superior, they're a pain in the ass for both the patients and docs.

Even though I consider DOs superior, they're a pain in the ass for both the patients and docs.
I much rather have real bone augmentation than implant materials or titanium plates and screws.

I much rather have real bone augmentation than implant materials or titanium plates and screws.
You have real bones with osteotomies too and you can remove the plates and screws afterwards, if they're not already resorbable.

I dislike implants too, but noone is gonna perform a lf3 on me and tbh I don't really want it, even if I need it, so my only option is HA paste for my zygos and orbitals, which will become then real bone.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 399
You have real bones with osteotomies too and you can remove the plates and screws afterwards, if they're not already resorbable.
The plates are made of titanium, hence not absorbable and they aren't easy to remove either. Moreover, the results aren't going to be as natural as DO results.

I dislike implants too, but noone is gonna perform a lf3 on me and tbh I don't really want it, even if I need it, so my only option is HA paste for my zygos and orbitals, which will become then real bone.
Honestly, HA cement paste is best option for implants. Problem is, they are hard to shape and can see a bit of absorption.

The plates are made of titanium, hence not absorbable and they aren't easy to remove either. Moreover, the results aren't going to be as natural as DO results.

Honestly, HA cement paste is best option for implants. Problem is, they are hard to shape and can see a bit of absorption.
Can i use HA paste to get wider skull?

Sounds fucking great for my 125mm bizygomatic width.
Wait a minute here. You can widen the skull with bone cement onlay, but not the face itself if that's what you mean.