Legs vs Upper Body Strength for Fighting Success

ArdaxHG

ArdaxHG

Iron
I seriously cant understand how most martial arts trainers online say its all in the legs, power comes from the ground etc but it sounds like a coping mechanism for their twink skeletal structure.

I mean sure leg strength obviously is crucial for support and balance but thing below here

Tall height, Wide shoulders, narrow hips, long limbs , thick and dense bones in wrists upper arm hands, fast twitch fiber composition, ribcage size( +lung capacity), aggression and tendon elasticity/strength is much more important than leg strength imo.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I remember once I kicked some guy in the balls so hard in flew up out his mouth and he died. That's the only martial arts I need, the rest is all cope. Ball kicking > mma and all other copes

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 21419, Deleted member 13021, R@m@ and 6 others
I seriously cant understand how most martial arts trainers online say its all in the legs, power comes from the ground etc but it sounds like a coping mechanism for their twink skeletal structure.

Tall height, Wide shoulders, narrow hips, long limbs , thick and dense bones in wrists upper arm hands, fast twitch fiber composition, ribcage size( +lung capacity), aggression and tendon elasticity/strength is much more important than leg strength imo.

Thoughts?
Can’t wider hips generate more force output

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20452 and Deleted member 18879
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Growth Plate, Deleted member 16220, FailedNormieManlet and 5 others
Can’t wider hips generate more force output
Dont know it for wrestling moves but wider shoulder to hip ratio has much better leverage and force transmission in general. Look up for sprinters. You will have much greater rotational power with less effort and force your legs are producing gonna directly transfer as your l3gs are much closer to your centre of gravity and core. No energy wasted at hip joints

Last edited:
  • Hmm...
Reactions: LightSkinNoob
Dont know it for wrestling moves but wider shoulder to hip ratio has much better leverage and force transmission in general. Look up for sprinters. You will have much greater rotational power with less effort and force your legs are producing gonna directly transfer as your l3gs are much closer to your centre of gravity and core. No energy wasted at hip joints
All the top guys in martial arts/MMA/boxing have normal hip ratios or slightly wider, I never see guys with a abnormal hip to shoulder ratio in the pentagon

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: softlysoftly and Deleted member 18879
When they say its all in legs theyre talking about form and having a strong base, not leg strength

• +1
Reactions: FailedNormieManlet, ArdaxHG and Oberyn

I mean sure leg strength obviously is crucial for support and balance but thing below here

Thoughts?
punch power just comes from weight + technique

also pretty sure its important for lower half weight cos the power is generated from floor and legs and hips. arms is a smaller % if ur throwing punches with the correct technique

• +1
Reactions: FailedNormieManlet and currylightskin

Thoughts?
Height mogs fighting skills. I'm 6'3" with no training and I beat a 5'10" who knew karate but wasn't strong enough to over power my size.

Weapons mog both height and fighting skills. A gun or a machete is going to kill someone regardless of who they are.

• +1
Reactions: casadebanho
The easy answer would be to look at the best fighters' physiques. Most of them are fairly muscular and lean top to bottom (other than heavyweights), but they typically do not have the kind of massive thighs you see with cyclists and weightlifters. Most fighters are slightly topheavy.

• +1
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS and ArdaxHG
Height mogs fighting skills. I'm 6'3" with no training and I beat a 5'10" who knew karate but wasn't strong enough to over power my size.

Weapons mog both height and fighting skills. A gun or a machete is going to kill someone regardless of who they are.
karate is dogshit useless. they just kick the air jfl no actual combat. I did it for 2.5 years as a kid it was giga cringe. there is so much stuff you have to be blackpilled about as a kid :dafuckfeels:

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 12248 and Deleted member 21166
karate is dogshit useless. they just kick the air jfl no actual combat. I did it for 2.5 years as a kid it was giga cringe. there is so much stuff you have to be blackpilled about as a kid :dafuckfeels:
Both my brother and cousin are blackbelts but each of them are skinny nerds lol, a fight with them would be like the Indiana Jones movie when Jonesy shoots the sand nigger. A one sided duel.

• +1
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS
Legs are essential in all combat sports because they influence:
  • The power behind your strikes
  • Your spacing/distancing from the opponent
  • Your agility/movements in general
Being in the right place at the right time and using your entire body to generate power and advantage is the essence of fighting technique.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 16371 and Deleted member 16220
Not a looksmax but leg strength and speed are far more important because they can be used to keep a distance as someone had already mentioned and for positioning (extremely essential in boxing)

The average punch strength is strong enough to sustain combat so you just need to aim low if you're taller or forward/upward if you're shorter to deal most damage

Yeah the long limb thing is so true bruh. I started looking a little into biomechanics and realized why shorted powerlifters can do so much weight often times. They usually move the weight a super short distance. If you watch someone like david laid bench, he moves the weight double/triple the distance of a shorter guy. its not impressive to see a guy with short arms bench a lot of weight.

When a guy with long limbs lifts, he has to move the weight often times signifigantly farther than the guy with short limbs. Being torso dominant sucks for fighting for this reason. having short baby t rex arms simply can't utilize the actual strength of the torso generated. a guy who benches 225 with long limbs vs a short guy benching 315 is much more true strength than the short guy. its not just about technique, its about force transmission

• +1
Reactions: horizontallytall, Deleted member 16371, Deleted member 16220 and 1 other person
5'5" Greg Doucette and his bullshit deadlift world records...

Not a looksmax but leg strength and speed are far more important because they can be used to keep a distance as someone had already mentioned and for positioning (extremely essential in boxing)
Then why don't you see more boxers/fighters with huge thighs like cyclists?

All the top guys in martial arts/MMA/boxing have normal hip ratios or slightly wider, I never see guys with a abnormal hip to shoulder ratio in the pentagon
Look up younger Tyson, Ernie Shavers Sonny Liston they all had high shoulder to hip ratios and were the heaviest hitters. Thick waists might give wide hip illusion but from back u see how wide they are on top than bottom

height has nothing to do with strength. its only a reach advantage

height has nothing to do with strength. its only a reach advantage
Height has a lot to do with strength. Your body grows 3 dimensionally. Longer limbs, clavicules, bigger body size, leverages, much better vision and intimidation obviously. But its one part of the equation. Dont really think anyone would choose your typical 6'3 Joe to win against 5'10 Tyson

• +1
Reactions: horizontallytall
Height has a lot to do with strength. Your body grows 3 dimensionally. Longer limbs, clavicules, bigger body size, leverages, much better vision and intimidation obviously. But its one part of the equation. Dont really think anyone would choose your typical 6'3 Joe to win against 5'10 Tyson
so why am i much stronger than all of my mates who are also 20kg heavier than me and taller? its all about genetics

and im not talking about gym strength. im talking about punching strength, grip strength etc

so why am i much stronger than all of my mates who are also 20kg heavier than me and taller? its all about genetics

and im not talking about gym strength. im talking about punching strength, grip strength etc
How would I know? You tell me why :) Leverages,Speed, Fast Twitch muscles, ligaments bones body structure. But pretty sure 20 kgs heavier ones are bigger than u both muscle and bone mass. In a street fight ure gonna now how much it matters. If they are just fat with no shoulder width and wide hips things might change dramatically but if not you gonna have hard time fighting them

• +1
Reactions: horizontallytall