Limitations of genioplasty

P

Pakicel

Kraken
A lot of people here recommend genio for people who just want their chin advanced forward. But what if there is a vertical deficiency rather than than a horizontal one? I have heard there are modified genioplasty procedures that are specifically designed to make a short chin taller, sometimes up to 15-20 mm. Of course, a gap this large between the repositioned chin bone and the rest of the mandible will need a bone graft for the jaw to properly re-integrate. I checked Eppley's website and saw this before/after, presumably for this modified genioplasty:

EppleyGenio

He went from having a sort of short squat chin to masculine and tall. It is a good result but I often hear that this is a bit unrealistic for most patients. So considering all this, what exactly are the limitations of genioplasties when it comes to correcting issues with the lower third? How bad does your lower third have to be for jaw surgery to be a more appropriate procedure for you? Do people with a short chin and non-recessed jaw only need a genio or something else like a maxillary downgraft with CW rotation is required?

• +1
Reactions: Slob, Mongrelcel and LastHopeForNorman
sometimes molar extrusion is all that's needed

• +1
Reactions: AlwaysHaveQuestions
I have shortface syndrome and I think this is what I'm gonna get, surgeon mentioned it to me, although I can't find a lot of convincing results online

• +1
Reactions: Slob
I have shortface syndrome and I think this is what I'm gonna get, surgeon mentioned it to me, although I can't find a lot of convincing results online
How bad is it exactly? Can you see all your teeth when you smile? What does your jaw look like from the side? Is it your gonial angle shallow, steep or average?

How bad is it exactly? Can you see all your teeth when you smile? What does your jaw look like from the side? Is it your gonial angle shallow, steep or average?
I have an overbite so you can only see the front teeth, my jaw looks like shit, undefined, I don't even know how my gonial angle look without looking at ct scans i need to lose bodyfat

I have an overbite so you can only see the front teeth, my jaw looks like shit, undefined, I don't even know how my gonial angle look without looking at ct scans i need to lose bodyfat
Can you PM me?

if you need that much vertical advancement then your whole jaw is fucked and you probably need bimax anyway

you can leave a couple mm gap which will just fill in but no 15-20mm

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4430
sometimes molar extrusion is all that's needed
Please elab. I have deepbite which I'm getting braces for soon. Will the chin look wider and fuller after the inward turned molars and front teeth on the lower arch become extruded? Will the chin remodel and look fuller, taller?

Please elab. I have deepbite which I'm getting braces for soon. Will the chin look wider and fuller after the inward turned molars and front teeth on the lower arch become extruded? Will the chin remodel and look fuller, taller?
taller for sure

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11770
taller for sure
the thing is when I relax my jaw I have decent chin height, but the deepbite creates overclosure, so during chewing, or when my jaw is tense, the teeth go too close together and the jaw angle makes the chin look shorter, I know that will be fixed with braces at least

but could the gonial angle remodel from the new chewing pattern and make the chin longer as a whole, is that the key benefit?

the thing is when I relax my jaw I have decent chin height, but the deepbite creates overclosure, so during chewing, or when my jaw is tense, the teeth go too close together and the jaw angle makes the chin look shorter, I know that will be fixed with braces at least

but could the gonial angle remodel from the new chewing pattern and make the chin longer as a whole, is that the key benefit?
I doubt it'd do anything to gonial angle. chin prominence usually increases in people treated for sfs

I doubt it'd do anything to gonial angle. chin prominence usually increases in people treated for sfs
I have normal midface length so it's probably the fact my interocclusal distance is too high from deepbite. maybe fixing deepbite can cure my intermittent tmj (basically my masseters get stifff from high humidity and temporarily make my chin look shorter, by pulling my jaw up)

happens everytime it rains or is really humid, praying that braces will fix this, otherwise I might need expensive tmj treatment or botox (don't have overbite or recessed jaw, so probably a dental issue)