Maxilla/Palate Expansion

retard

retard

rides a short bus to school
Thread doesnt really have one singular purpose, just some general info on the subject

First off there are two ways to expand the maxilla:

Expansion via bone remodeling
This is done by following Wolff's law, applying a constant force to the palate (mewing) will apply an outward pressure on the palate causing expansion, bone remodelling can take place at any age, it is just slower the older you can get. It is common knowledge that tooth-borne palate expanders work on adults, just slower and since bone-borne appliance do not split the mid-palatal suture you can conclude that bone remodeling changes must be responsible

We know that bone is malleable from things like bone smashing and again palatal expansion, and degeneracy of bone structure from muscular atrophies (steven hawking as an example) which further validates that you can expand the maxilla at any age, given you are willing to put in the work by simple things like tongue posture

Expansion via sutural growth

Sutural growth is where the most drastic expansion changes come from, this is done by stimulating new bone growth at the midpalatal suture (the same premise applies to the circummaxillary sutures for achieving forward growth). While the midpalatal suture never fuses until very late in life, it hardens to a considerable extent making growth very slow the older you get, since the suture never fuses you can achieve growth at any up until you are around 80, the majority of the changes would be extremely minute if you are trying to get results with small forces like mewing, it can be successfully opened using a maxillary expander (mse, sarpe, etc) and you can get very good changes given it is successfully opened.

Any mewing changes that take place would probably be around 85% bone remodelling changes and 15% sutural growth (this is just a guess, there is really no way to know for sure.) https://looksmax.org/threads/ending...ll-literally-everyone-gtfo-in-here-now.77338/ This thread (apart from Ead) demonstrates maxillary expansion via remodelling, the greater the number change the greater the change, notice how insane changes are possible via remodelling given you are willing to put in the work and time, however for quick results sutural splitting/growth is certainly the way to go as Ead achieved greater changes in a fraction of the time than alot of other people who got results primarily from remodelling, then again this can only be done from a maxillary expander

An analogy to differentiate the two:

Since we know bone is malleable, we can compare it to something like plato (obv bone is much harder but the properties of it are similar none the less)

Imagine you have a sheet of plato layed out on a table, this will represent your maxilla now you put your hand ontop of the plato and smush it, this will represent your tongue. As you push down the plato flattens and expands, this is essentially just a sped up version of what expansion via remodelling will be like by mewing

Next imagine you take a knife and slice the middle of the plato (mse splitting the mid palatal suture) and then you push the plato apart, this is mimicking the expansion of the maxilla by sutural expansion/growth

In both scenarios if you laid some object on the plato to simulate the teeth, they would move apart from each other as well representing palatal expansion

Can tooth-borne palatal expanders widen the maxilla?

Yes, when you use a palatal expander that pushes on the teeth, the teeth will act as a medium and transfer the force to the maxillary bone its self and emulate faster remodelling (still not enough force to cause significant sutural growth) This is similar to the concept in facepulling, in orthodontics facepullers are latched onto the back of the teeth and pulled forward which causes both dentoalveolar changes, and some changes to the skeletal structure of the maxilla itsself, this is the same exact concept with a palatal expander but in a different direction (laterally) and on a different suture. Imagine you have a stake (teeth) in the ground and you push it, while you arent applying a force directly to the ground (maxilla), some of the force will be transferred to the ground and move it itsself.

https://epublications.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1271&context=theses_open (@Hades also reported an increase in byzygo width from expanding the palate) This study shows the facial changes resulting from palatal expansion, it states that the orbits widened (PFL increasing), the only way this is possible is through maxillary expansion as simply widening the arch of the teeth without any maxillary expansion would not even remotely result in a change in the orbits (which consist mainly of the top parts of the zygos and maxilla) indicating skeletal expansion from simple palatal expansion.

This references a thread I made a while ago and i claimed mewing can increase PFL https://looksmax.org/threads/holy-f...ncreases-pfl-literally-everyone-gtfihn.85505/ this study further backs it up that mewing can induce maxilla widening (given you are willing to put in the work)

The fact that tooth-borne palatal expanders can increase maxilla width is proof mewing will work at any age, as both induce changes by the same exact mechanism of bone remodelling, just palatal expanders apply larger amounts of force (which results in faster expansion)
Should i get a palatal expander?

While mewing and palatal expanders both cause expansion via remodelling, expanders will cause much quicker changes, however you can only expand the upper palate so much, and the lower arch will not meet it. If you have any plans of getting MSE, do not get a palatal expander, it will limit the actual primarily skeletal changes MSE will give as your palate can only physically get so wide. However if your upper ridge is narrower than the lower, and you have no intentions on getting MSE it is a great looksmax that will be basically a yard sale knock off version of MSE. Mewing will accomplish the exact same results just over a much longer time scale, and with mewing it is more likely that the lower arch will also adapt and widen to meet the upper arch.

How will widening the maxilla affect my facial aesthetics?

Widening the maxilla manifests in many different ways:

Increase in bizygomatic width (leads to an increase in FWHR)
Increase in lip width
Increase in nose base width
Increase in IPD
Increase in PFL
Wide palate (big halo irl, slept on in PSL imo)

TLDR: Maxilla expansion is possible through 2 different ways, one of them being possible at any age, just slower, palate expanders result in skeletal expansion to the maxilla itsself, not just expansion to the dental arch, mewing will certainly give results if you are willing to put in the time and effort, for faster/greater results you must use the other way which is inducing a sutural growth, however this is only possible through maxillary expanders like MSE and SARPE

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: triggr, looksmidder, anitalooksmax and 26 others
Indeed PSL sleeps on wide palate theory. Good thread

• +1
Reactions: 000 and retard
Still I don't know how to find who the fuck performs MSE

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Elias
Bone remodelling suggests that even after maxxing out your expander if you leave it there it would act as the tongue constantly applying pressure which could induce changes no?

Bone remodelling suggests that even after maxxing out your expander if you leave it there it would act as the tongue constantly applying pressure which could induce changes no?
you can only expand your palate so much and once you reached that point (probably around 50 IMW) you wouldn’t be able to expand any further but up until that point you could, this is only for expanders because they require the teeth to transport the force, and there’s a limit, mewing/maxillary expansion you could do indefinitely for expansion until you hit some biological checkpoint im guessing we have in place inhibiting further expansion past 50imw

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero
I need before and after pictures, to proof that palate expansion really gives a aesthetic improvement. Everybody is talking about mse, but where are pictures (besides ronald ead).

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero and PubertyMaxxer
im taking pe when this shit with corona chill a bit lol

But no one will perform msdo unfortunately

But no one will perform msdo unfortunately
ye thats why i think mse is alot less practical than ppl think its going to be, it can be very good but there are alot of specifics that have to be met

• +1
Pics deleted

@PURE ARYAN GENETICS this was the guy in my thread that got deleted

• +1
Reactions: n0rthface, AscendingHero, DutchPrettyBoy and 3 others
Where to get palate expander???

@retard so is MSE cope? What abt if one is a teenager?

@retard so is MSE cope? What abt if one is a teenager?
mse might be able to help low IPD if combined with chewing, improves ogee curve, and breathing benefits + however gives diastema and expensive so it just depends on what you consider cope tbh

• +1
mse might be able to help low IPD if combined with chewing, improves ogee curve, and breathing benefits + however gives diastema and expensive so it just depends on what you consider cope tbh
LIFEFUEL I FUCKING LOVE U BRO

You're the hero I need not the one I deserve

If one is like 14/15 how much can MSE improve zygos? What can I do during expansion to improve my zygos like in conjunction with MSE?

How can I ccw rotate my maxila? I need a compact midface+longer ramus badly. Is it possible to rotate my maxila CCW with facebow/facepuller/fm+mse+chewing/frontal mewing?

would getting lefort 1 through distraction mess up and potential forward growth rom mewing.

I need before and after pictures, to proof that palate expansion really gives a aesthetic improvement. Everybody is talking about mse, but where are pictures (besides ronald ead).

This
This

• +1
How can I ccw rotate my maxila? I need a compact midface+longer ramus badly. Is it possible to rotate my maxila CCW with facebow/facepuller/fm+mse+chewing/frontal mewing?
Yes. Nobody has ever done that all before but that is what the research says so I strongly suggest you try that out, especially being only 14/15 you could potentially have great success! One more thing, it might even be a good idea to add bollard plates on top of everything.

Yes. Nobody has ever done that all before but that is what the research says so I strongly suggest you try that out, especially being only 14/15 you could potentially have great success! One more thing, it might even be a good idea to add bollard plates on top of everything.
lol ok. How did you know my age? What are bollard plates and what are they used for?

Any new thoughts on this stuff? Not enough people have tried the bioblock like appliences (homeoblock, DNA, etc). Currently I think perhaps doing a small expansion with MSE mainly for FM reasons, followed by DNA appliences.

Thread doesnt really have one singular purpose, just some general info on the subject

This is done by following Wolff's law, applying a constant force to the palate (mewing) will apply an outward pressure on the palate causing expansion, bone remodelling can take place at any age, it is just slower the older you can get. It is common knowledge that tooth-borne palate expanders work on adults, just slower and since bone-borne appliance do not split the mid-palatal suture you can conclude that bone remodeling changes must be responsible

We know that bone is malleable from things like bone smashing and again palatal expansion, and degeneracy of bone structure from muscular atrophies (steven hawking as an example) which further validates that you can expand the maxilla at any age, given you are willing to put in the work by simple things like tongue posture

Sutural growth is where the most drastic expansion changes come from, this is done by stimulating new bone growth at the midpalatal suture (the same premise applies to the circummaxillary sutures for achieving forward growth). While the midpalatal suture never fuses until very late in life, it hardens to a considerable extent making growth very slow the older you get, since the suture never fuses you can achieve growth at any up until you are around 80, the majority of the changes would be extremely minute if you are trying to get results with small forces like mewing, it can be successfully opened using a maxillary expander (mse, sarpe, etc) and you can get very good changes given it is successfully opened.

Any mewing changes that take place would probably be around 85% bone remodelling changes and 15% sutural growth (this is just a guess, there is really no way to know for sure.) https://looksmax.org/threads/ending...ll-literally-everyone-gtfo-in-here-now.77338/ This thread (apart from Ead) demonstrates maxillary expansion via remodelling, the greater the number change the greater the change, notice how insane changes are possible via remodelling given you are willing to put in the work and time, however for quick results sutural splitting/growth is certainly the way to go as Ead achieved greater changes in a fraction of the time than alot of other people who got results primarily from remodelling, then again this can only be done from a maxillary expander

Since we know bone is malleable, we can compare it to something like plato (obv bone is much harder but the properties of it are similar none the less)

Imagine you have a sheet of plato layed out on a table, this will represent your maxilla now you put your hand ontop of the plato and smush it, this will represent your tongue. As you push down the plato flattens and expands, this is essentially just a sped up version of what expansion via remodelling will be like by mewing

Next imagine you take a knife and slice the middle of the plato (mse splitting the mid palatal suture) and then you push the plato apart, this is mimicking the expansion of the maxilla by sutural expansion/growth

In both scenarios if you laid some object on the plato to simulate the teeth, they would move apart from each other as well representing palatal expansion

Yes, when you use a palatal expander that pushes on the teeth, the teeth will act as a medium and transfer the force to the maxillary bone its self and emulate faster remodelling (still not enough force to cause significant sutural growth) This is similar to the concept in facepulling, in orthodontics facepullers are latched onto the back of the teeth and pulled forward which causes both dentoalveolar changes, and some changes to the skeletal structure of the maxilla itsself, this is the same exact concept with a palatal expander but in a different direction (laterally) and on a different suture. Imagine you have a stake (teeth) in the ground and you push it, while you arent applying a force directly to the ground (maxilla), some of the force will be transferred to the ground and move it itsself.

https://epublications.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1271&context=theses_open (@Hades also reported an increase in byzygo width from expanding the palate) This study shows the facial changes resulting from palatal expansion, it states that the orbits widened (PFL increasing), the only way this is possible is through maxillary expansion as simply widening the arch of the teeth without any maxillary expansion would not even remotely result in a change in the orbits (which consist mainly of the top parts of the zygos and maxilla) indicating skeletal expansion from simple palatal expansion.

This references a thread I made a while ago and i claimed mewing can increase PFL https://looksmax.org/threads/holy-f...ncreases-pfl-literally-everyone-gtfihn.85505/ this study further backs it up that mewing can induce maxilla widening (given you are willing to put in the work)

The fact that tooth-borne palatal expanders can increase maxilla width is proof mewing will work at any age, as both induce changes by the same exact mechanism of bone remodelling, just palatal expanders apply larger amounts of force (which results in faster expansion)

While mewing and palatal expanders both cause expansion via remodelling, expanders will cause much quicker changes, however you can only expand the upper palate so much, and the lower arch will not meet it. If you have any plans of getting MSE, do not get a palatal expander, it will limit the actual primarily skeletal changes MSE will give as your palate can only physically get so wide. However if your upper ridge is narrower than the lower, and you have no intentions on getting MSE it is a great looksmax that will be basically a yard sale knock off version of MSE. Mewing will accomplish the exact same results just over a much longer time scale, and with mewing it is more likely that the lower arch will also adapt and widen to meet the upper arch.

Increase in lip width
Increase in IPD
Increase in PFL

TLDR: Maxilla expansion is possible through 2 different ways, one of them being possible at any age, just slower, palate expanders result in skeletal expansion to the maxilla itsself, not just expansion to the dental arch, mewing will certainly give results if you are willing to put in the time and effort, for faster/greater results you must use the other way which is inducing a sutural growth, however this is only possible through maxillary expanders like MSE and SARPE

Increase in lip width
Increase in IPD
Increase in PFL

I need to expand maxilla mainly upper maxilla. This sounds good going to look into it. My main problem is my ICD (inner canthal distance) is too narrow, also my nose is too narrow I need it to be wider.

are there age limitations or is still possible to expand it after 26 y.o?