Metformin and fasting

Euphorer

Euphorer

Iron
Metformin is a drug prescribed to type 2 diabetics. It's use is decreasing blood glucose by inhibiting the liver's ability to make and deposit glucose into the bloodstream. Is one of the best drugs for life extension due to it's ability to prevent cancer.

The thing is that I found some pills but they're out of date. Should I take them and start fasting? The only downside is that it may lower my testosterone

Metmorfin is a drug prescribed to type 2 diabetics. It's use is decreasing blood glucose by inhibiting the liver's ability to make and deposit glucose into the bloodstream. Is one of the best drugs for life extension due to it's ability to prevent cancer.

The thing is that I found some pills but they're out of date. Should I take them and start fasting? The only downside is that it may lower my testosterone
It activates the AMPK pathway which is an energy channel which mimics the effects of caloric restriction and intermittent fasting. Due to those effects, your blood glucose levels will drop because your pancreas won't secrete insulin as it only needs to secrete insulin when it needs to regulate high blood glucose levels, which are caused by consumption of carbohydrates and proteins mainly.

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: kota and Euphorer
It activates the AMPK pathway which is an energy channel which mimics the effects of caloric restriction and intermittent fasting. Due to those effects, your blood glucose levels will drop because your pancreas won't secrete insulin as it only needs to secrete insulin when it needs to regulate high blood glucose levels, which are caused by consumption of carbohydrates and proteins mainly.

That's sick dude! Exactly what I need.

• +1
Reactions: x30001
no
keto/fasting will do this natty without risks

these mechanisms are much more complex than we understand, the idea that metformin can emulate all the positive effects of fasting/keto without downside is retarded

also calorie restriction doesnt matter if youre eatin species appropriate and do IF

• +1
Reactions: toptearmm, Usum and x30001
no
keto/fasting will do this natty without risks

these mechanisms are much more complex than we understand, the idea that metformin can emulate all the positive effects of fasting/keto without downside is retarded

also calorie restriction doesnt matter if youre eatin species appropriate and do IF
I can get into deep ketosis faster if I use it. The only downsides could be mithocondrial damage and lower testosterone.

Dozens of millionaries already use it so I'll give it a try. Risks are fun

Metformin isn't ideal to use unless you're using it for a distinct purpose. You still need to practice fasting and caloric restriction on Metformin or else you are really going to fuck up your insulin sensitivity. Berberine does pretty much exactly what Metformin does anyway, activating AMPK, SIRT1, and increasing NAD+ levels. There's no reason I'd ever choose to use Metformin ahead of Berberine. The distinct use for these drugs should be to enter a deeper degree of autophagy while practicing caloric restriction as you otherwise would if you weren't using Metformin/Berberine inside of the same fasting routine. Metformin and Berberine are unique though since they activate the Sirtuin/FOXO protein pathways and mimic an energy deficit to a greater degree than simply activating AMPK alone. Increasing NAD+ levels is very powerful. Taking Metformin casually with no plan would be a disaster though.

• +1
Reactions: kota
Metformin isn't ideal to use unless you're using it for a distinct purpose. You still need to practice fasting and caloric restriction on Metformin or else you are really going to fuck up your insulin sensitivity. Berberine does pretty much exactly what Metformin does anyway, activating AMPK, SIRT1, and increasing NAD+ levels. There's no reason I'd ever choose to use Metformin ahead of Berberine. The distinct use for these drugs should be to enter a deeper degree of autophagy while practicing caloric restriction as you otherwise would if you weren't using Metformin/Berberine inside of the same fasting routine. Metformin and Berberine are unique though since they activate the Sirtuin/FOXO protein pathways and mimic an energy deficit to a greater degree than simply activating AMPK alone. Increasing NAD+ levels is very powerful. Taking Metformin casually with no plan would be a disaster though.
Yeah you have a point, my insulin sensitivity isn't the best. Maybe I'll use it once I try keto.

You seem to be really high IQ, do you mentor?

Yeah you have a point, my insulin sensitivity isn't the best. Maybe I'll use it once I try keto.

You seem to be really high IQ, do you mentor?
No I'm not a mentor. You don't need to touch Metformin if you want to get into ketosis. Metformin is used as a drug for longevity by attempting to reverse/balance mitochondrial aging by keeping your body in an equilibrium state in terms of energy. There's many survival pathways in our body that hardly any living human has activated anywhere near enough. Your body can upregulate it's response to oxidative stress and inflammation. When fat people eat donuts all day, they're putting their body in an uneccessary energy surplus. Lean muscle mass is pro-longevity and fat is inflammatory. When you see unfit people running out of breath, it's because literally every cell in their body is struggling to get oxygen, their body's anti-oxidant defense mechanisms are already maxed out but these defense systems are so untrained that they can only maintain a low state of hormesis. Metformin is used in an attempt to find a solution to the mitochondrial theory of aging, by putting your body into an energy depleted state, and then exposing yourself to mild hormetic stressors such as saunas, exercise etc, with the aim that you can heighten your body's capability to develop a new hormetic edge which'll allow your cells withstand further amounts of stress without spilling past the point of hormesis and causing mitochondrial damage. NMN can enter the inner membrane of cells through the Slc12a8 transporter and form NAD+. NMN is probably the most promising anti-aging drug since it'll allow you to make more movements without aging your mitochondria. At the age of 20 you already have just 50% the amount of NAD+ as you did when you were in early childhood. Essentially, when your old, each additional movement you make (which requires energy), causes more mitochondrial damage to your cells than it did before, essentially aging you. So any practice where you can increase intracellular levels of NAD+ and exercise to a point of hormesis, is probably the best anti-aging practice there is. Being in a non fasted state would convert your NAD+ to NADH as a normal process of the Krebs Cycle. Weirdly enough, mild mitochondrial uncoupling through the use of DNP could actually be beneficial for anti-aging. Anti-aging/longevity is quite a deep rabbit hole and can't really be explained through a few posts.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: stressftw, AlexBrown84, kota and 1 other person
no fasting for your subhuman bones

No I'm not a mentor. You don't need to touch Metformin if you want to get into ketosis. Metformin is used a drug for longevity by attempting to reverse/balance mitochondrial aging by keeping your body in an equilibrium state in terms of energy. There's many survival pathways in our body that hardly any living human has activated anywhere near enough. Your body can upregulate it's response to oxidative stress and inflammation. When fat people eat donuts all day, they're putting their body in an uneccessary energy surplus. Lean muscle mass is pro-longevity and fat is inflammatory. When you see unfit people running out of breath, it's because literally every cell in their body is struggling to get oxygen, their body's anti-oxidant defense mechanisms are already maxed out but these defense systems are so untrained that they can only maintain a low state of hormesis. Metformin is used in an attempt to find a solution to the mitochondrial theory of aging, by putting your body into an energy depleted state, and then exposing yourself to mild hormetic stressors such as saunas, exercise etc, with the aim that you can heighten your body's capability to develop a new hormetic edge which'll allow your cells withstand further amounts of stress without spilling past the point of hormesis and causing mitochondrial damage. NMN can enter the inner membrane of cells through the Slc12a8 transporter and form NAD+. NMN is probably the most promising anti-aging drug since it'll allow you to make more movements without aging your mitochondria. At the age of 20 you already have just 50% the amount of NAD+ as you did when you were in early childhood. Essentially, when your old, each additional movement you make (which requires energy), causes more mitochondrial damage to your cells than it did before, essentially aging you. So any practice where you can increase intracellular levels of NAD+ and exercise to a point of hormesis, is probably the best anti-aging practice there is. Being in a non fasted state would convert your NAD+ to NADH as a normal process of the Krebs Cycle. Weirdly enough, mild mitochondrial uncoupling through the use of DNP could actually be beneficial for anti-aging. Anti-aging/longevity is quite a deep rabbit hole and can't really be explained through a few posts.
Neandrathals went for short periods of feasting and extended periods of fasting and exercise, hunting for their food. Not surviving by LDARing and accepting that starvation would be their fate, but by surviving through a process in which their bodies adapted to. They weren't eating 6 meals a day, taking food from their fridge and never having to feel hunger. Their biological adaptations were quite robust. It's crazy to discover that longevity in this day and age mirrors the survival system of millions of years ago, before society even existed. It's a case of not taking anabolism or catabolism to the extreme, but balancing both.

Both extremes lead to death.

Extreme Anabolism:
Cancers
Diabetes
Abnormal cell growth (Tumors)

Extreme Catabolism:
Muscle sarcopenia
Death by starvation

• Hmm...
  • +1
Reactions: stressftw and Euphorer
Neandrathals went for short periods of feasting and extended periods of fasting and exercise, hunting for their food. Not surviving by LDARing and accepting that starvation would be their fate, but by surviving through a process in which their bodies adapted to. They weren't eating 6 meals a day, taking food from their fridge and never having to feel hunger. Their biological adaptations were quite robust. It's crazy to discover that longevity in this day and age mirrors the survival system of millions of years ago, before society even existed. It's a case of not taking anabolism or catabolism to the extreme, but balancing both.

Extreme Anabolism:
Cancers
Diabetes

Extreme Catabolism:
Muscle sarcopenia
Death by starvation
I fast like two days a week and eat omad or in a tight window, maintain anabolic enough state to maintain good amount of lean body mass. Feels good man.

• +1
Reactions: x30001

Extreme Anabolism:
Cancers
Diabetes

Extreme Catabolism:
Muscle sarcopenia
Death by starvation
I don't have any idea of what anabolism and catabolism mean. Will make further research about the interesting topics you talked
I fast like two days a week and eat omad or in a tight window, maintain anabolic enough state to maintain good amount of lean body mass. Feels good man.
What's your body fat %? Have you lost any muscle while fasting?

Extreme Anabolism:
Cancers
Diabetes

Extreme Catabolism:
Muscle sarcopenia
Death by starvation
You can eat yourself to death and starve yourself to death. Why not create an energy balance that causes the least mitochondrial damage by making energy metabolism as efficient as it can possibly be, proportionate to the equivalent intensity of stress your body is undergoing to create that energy. Skin cells are cells too. Skin cells have a mitochondrion. When people want to skinmax and ask which chemicals they should put on their face, they should really think about how to maintain a high mitochondrial function in the cells, and that would fix everything.
Nice one!
I don't have any idea of what anabolism and catabolism mean. Will make further research about the interesting topics you talked

Anabolism = growth
Catabolism = breakdown/destruction

• +1
Reactions: stressftw and kota

Body fat changes depending on whether I eat keto or not. Never goes above visible abs and if I go low enough where I feel hormones start to drop I just add more calories to my meals.

does it help with the insulin problems that mk677 causes. and i also read on a lookism post once that you could take it for collagen

Easy solutions exist but ppl are so lazy today that they prefer to risk their life for shit.
Quite amazing.
I guess this is why 99% of people look like shit too (compared to their ideal/optimized self that they could achieve quite easily).

• +1
Reactions: 7 rings