MSE Post BIMAX

C

chip

Iron
In a bit of a predicament. Hopefully someone in a similar situation will come across this this.

I have the option to get Bimax w/ CCW rotation and/or MSE w/ FM right now. I want both; MSE for nasal volume, wider palate, and slight upper midface improvement, and Bimax for the forward growth and CCW rotation MSE could never accomplish.

My concern is that I get MSE and it fixes my sleep apnea, which is the reason my insurance approved my surgery, and I won’t be able to get Bimax after.

Is it safe or effective to get the Bimax and do MSE 6+ months after the bones are fully healed? Keep in mind I have straight teeth now and can literally get Bimax next month, but MSE pre-op would set the Bimax back 18ish months if the Bimax is even still an option at that point.

TL;DR: Want MSE health effects, but Bimax aesthetic and further health effects. Insurance could screw me. Bimax then MSE?

@Sergio-OMS

In a bit of a predicament. Hopefully someone in a similar situation will come across this this.

I have the option to get Bimax w/ CCW rotation and/or MSE w/ FM right now. I want both; MSE for nasal volume, wider palate, and slight upper midface improvement, and Bimax for the forward growth and CCW rotation MSE could never accomplish.

My concern is that I get MSE and it fixes my sleep apnea, which is the reason my insurance approved my surgery, and I won’t be able to get Bimax after.

Is it safe or effective to get the Bimax and do MSE 6+ months after the bones are fully healed? Keep in mind I have straight teeth now and can literally get Bimax next month, but MSE pre-op would set the Bimax back 18ish months if the Bimax is even still an option at that point.

TL;DR: Want MSE health effects, but Bimax aesthetic and further health effects. Insurance could screw me. Bimax then MSE?

@Sergio-OMS

No, MSE first (if needed) and then bimax. But, anyway, you should be consulting this with your orthodontist and surgeon, not here.

• +1
Reactions: Nordiccel, AlwaysHaveQuestions, SPFromNY914 and 3 others
No, MSE first (if needed) and then bimax. But, anyway, you should be consulting this with your orthodontist and surgeon, not here.
I would never go completely through without suggesting it to them and discussing it beforehand.

One more question: how long would it take for the bones to be ready for surgery post MSE? I’ll be expanding for 2-3 months and leaving the device in for a long while after. Would it, in theory, be possible to expand with MSE then get Bimax done before the braces/aligners are put on? I understand some surgeons take the surgery before alignment approach anyway. Or is the bone not ready immediately after?

• +1
Reactions: SPFromNY914
I would never go completely through without suggesting it to them and discussing it beforehand.

One more question: how long would it take for the bones to be ready for surgery post MSE? I’ll be expanding for 2-3 months and leaving the device in for a long while after. Would it, in theory, be possible to expand with MSE then get Bimax done before the braces/aligners are put on? I understand some surgeons take the surgery before alignment approach anyway. Or is the bone not ready immediately after?

Oh, you must ask your doctors! We can generalise.

@Sergio-OMS
Bimax is always an option bro but you gotta think bigger picture and long term. It will take a while to do mse+fm then bimax but it'll be worth it. MSE is ineffective after Bimax due to the plates

• +1
Reactions: AlwaysHaveQuestions
Bimax is always an option bro but you gotta think bigger picture and long term. It will take a while to do mse+fm then bimax but it'll be worth it. MSE is ineffective after Bimax due to the plates

If you are really going to have a bimax don’t get FM

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: AlwaysHaveQuestions and Warlow
If you are really going to have a bimax don’t get FM
Damn, I'm in a really wierd predicament here doc. My whole maxilla is recessed along with my mandible with a class 2. I agreed to do MSE+FM then braces as a plan with my doctor. I knew all along I need imdo or bimax after anyways. What should I do? Not do the facemask part and save time is what you're saying? appreciate you

• +1
Reactions: AlwaysHaveQuestions
Damn, I'm in a really wierd predicament here doc. My whole maxilla is recessed along with my mandible with a class 2. I agreed to do MSE+FM then braces as a plan with my doctor. I knew all along I need imdo or bimax after anyways. What should I do? Not do the facemask part and save time is what you're saying? appreciate you

Save time and save discomfort

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3635, AlwaysHaveQuestions and SPFromNY914
Save time and save discomfort
Damn, so I should let you know I'm 18. What do you think about people saying potential upper maxilla gains with Facemask?(Cause that's the only Reason I was interested) You think it's fully cope?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3635 and AlwaysHaveQuestions
Damn, so I should let you know I'm 18. What do you think about people saying potential upper maxilla gains with Facemask?(Cause that's the only Reason I was interested) You think it's fully cope?

I guess you might get 1 mm at the malar area? But it would really depend on the case.

• +1
Reactions: AlwaysHaveQuestions and SPFromNY914