Official guide to Lens Distortion and it's effects on the face

Looksmax

Looksmax

Aesthetics Matter
Staff
For a long time I was wondering why I looked so much better in the mirror than in selfies. I already that when I took pictures from back camera that I was because I wasn't used to seeing my face flipped. But, I soon also realized that I look equally bad in selfies with the front camera. How could this be? How can I take a good picture?

First, I had to see if I was just seeing things when seeing how weird I looked in selfies. I studied pictures and learned the importance of ratios. I will outline five important ratios that are affected by lens distortion:

FWHR - Face width to height ratio: Calculated by dividing the width of the widest part of your face (bizygos) by the height of the midface (middle of eyebrows to the top of the upper lip) (ideal range is 1.75-2.05)
1586418663458 measure00

Midface ratio: Calculated by distance of the pupils divided by the distance from the middle of the distance between pupils down to the top of the upper lip. ("ideal" range is 0.95-1.15) (0.95-0.99 aren't ideal but they are still ok and are important for understanding the effects lens distortion)
1586418663458 measure01

Es Ratio: Calculated by the distance of the pupils divided by the distance of the widest part of your face (bizygos) (ideal range is 0.45-0.48)
1586418663458 measure03

Philtrum to chin ratio: Calculated by the height of your philtrum (the area between your nose and upper lip) divide with the height of your chin. (ideal is 1:1.8-1:2.75)
1586418663458 measure02

Chin to midface ratio: Calculated by the ratio of the height of your chin divided with the height of your previously mentioned midface. (ideal range is 0.55-0.65)
1586418663458 measure04

The reason why these ratios matter is because lens distortion kills them. You will look more narrow with more elongated facial features. (The elongated facial features will in turn pop out your features like nose and eyelid exposure out more, I have even noticed that it makes my lips thinner also). These ratios are all the crucial aspects of what makes a face harmonious, and the distortion of multiple ratios is a Legitimate PSL dropper. It's not in your head.

Examples of the effects of lens distortion on a subject:

FWHR:
Portrait distances2 measure00
Portrait distances2 measure01
(1.65-->1.93)

Midface:
Portrait distances2 measure02
Portrait distances2 measure03
(0.98-->1.02)

Es Ratio:

Portrait distances2 measure04
Portrait distances2 measure05
(.479-->.437)

Philtrum to chin ratio:

Portrait distances2 measure06
Portrait distances2 measure07
(1:2.48-->1:2.77)

Chin to midface (credit to @looxmakser49 for this ratio):

Maxresdefault measure00
Maxresdefault measure01
(.48-->.62)

My examples of these ratios on my face being fucked over by distortion:

FWHR -
1.58-1.63 in selfies (peanut/horse hybrid tier). 1.81 in real life (good)

Midface - 0.87-0.91 in selfies (legit horse tier). 0.95 in real life (eh)

Es ratio - 0.485-0.49 in selfies (dolphin tier). 0.455 in real life (ideal)

Philtrum to chin ratio - 1:1.65-1:1.8 in selfies (decent). 1:1.9-1:2.1 in real life. (ideal)

Chin to midface ratio - 0.48-0.51 in selfies (decent). 0.56-0.58 in real life (great)

Next time you are worried about how you in selfies, remember that your facial ratios that make the balance and harmony of your face are getting fucked over by the lens distortion.

If you guys want to measure the differences in ratios and say them in the comments, then use this measuring website I used:

NOTE: The question to if you will look worse or better with lens distortion is entirely up to how high or low your ratios are. If you are wide and compact, you can look better with lens distortion due to it normalizing your features if the ratios are too high. If you are a narrow and long, you can look worse with lens distortion due to it making you even more long and narrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • +1
  • Love it
  • So Sad
Reactions: Lynxress, ezio6, cadee and 88 others
good thread mods pin

• +1
Reactions: mogstars, thecel, ronald_98 and 6 others
My biggest cope

• +1
  • JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: MK677ABUSER, LooksThinker, aestheticsrespecter and 11 others
GOOD THREAD DID READ BHAI

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 8064

• JFL
  • Ugh..
  • So Sad
Reactions: BrahminBoss, fuckedupmanlet, COPEandKMS and 20 others
Good high effort post. Deserves to be in best of the best

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: ronald_98, Deleted member 6856, Deleted member 8765 and 2 others
Good thread bro repped

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: BradAniston, sytyl and Deleted member 8064
BEST OF THE BEST LIFEFUEL THREAD

• Love it
wait I look good in selfies :lul: :lul: :lul:
it is over

• JFL
  • +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: LooksThinker, Pagnonisavemyeyes, Lolcel and 5 others
woah son
you really made a whole thread
to justify ur midface in selfies
aight then

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: LooksThinker, ronald_98, faggotchadlite and 10 others
One of the best threads I have seen in a while brother

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: sytyl and Deleted member 8064
I will bump this frequently

• Love it
Ideal range for FHWR is 1.8-2.0 not 1.75 tbh tbh

• +1
good thread but if someone has a short philtrum the philtrum to chin ratio doesnt apply. the ideal would be like 2.75-3.25

good thread but if someone has a short philtrum the philtrum to chin ratio doesnt apply. the ideal would be like 2.75-3.25
yes, but for longish philtrumcels like me, we need the ratio to not the dreaded 1:1.6 that distortion gives

@Kingkellz pin this or else ur a coping Dravidian cuck

• JFL
  • Love it
Reactions: Kingkellz, sytyl and Deleted member 8064
isn't there also an option on phone where you don't have to make the image flipped after taking it?

isn't there also an option on phone where you don't have to make the image flipped after taking it?
some phones do it automatically but you can get apps to flip images horizontally and vertically.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9072
My question I've wondered is where did the ideal ratio come from? Who established then as ideal?
I mean... you just look at it dude. a 1.6 is narrow skulled, a .50 es ratio is wide eyes. It's trial and error and through looking at various different faces that we can measure the ideal or normal ranges for ratios.

• +1
Reactions: Sikkunt23
My question I've wondered is where did the ideal ratio come from? Who established then as ideal?
Aspies calculating male models

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: 6485b025t and Deleted member 8064
DAMN CHICO LOOKS SO GOOD HERE 😋😋

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Sikkunt23 and Deleted member 8064
Pin/best of best worthy thread.
Legit.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 8064 and Sikkunt23
My FWHR is 1.85 in selfies

• +1
slayer, mine is 1.53 on my old samsung s5 :(
I have iphone 6. I still look shit in selfies because my nose is larger than average. Small and thin nose is key to looking good in selfies. Eriksen is the best example.

• +1
I have iphone 6. I still look shit in selfies because my nose is larger than average. Small and thin nose is key to looking good in selfies. Eriksen is the best example.
over for me snapchatting girls then

I took a pic from 5 meters away and my face looks really wide. If I look like that irl I don’t even need MSE. I don’t look that wide in the mirror. Idk why.

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: Be_ConfidentBro, Warlow and Lev Peshkov
I took a pic from 5 meters away and my face looks really wide. If I look like that irl I don’t even need MSE. I don’t look that wide in the mirror. Idk why.
Most accurate is 85mm camera at 200cm away

For a long time I was wondering why I looked so much better in the mirror than in selfies. I already that when I took pictures from back camera that I was because I wasn't used to seeing my face flipped. But, I soon also realized that I look equally bad in selfies with the front camera. How could this be? How can I take a good picture?

First, I had to see if I was just seeing things when seeing how weird I looked in selfies. I studied pictures and learned the importance of ratios. I will outline five important ratios that are affected by lens distortion:

FWHR - Face width to height ratio: Calculated by dividing the width of the widest part of your face (bizygos) by the height of the midface (middle of eyebrows to the top of the upper lip) (ideal range is 1.75-2.05)
View attachment 664340
Midface ratio: Calculated by distance of the pupils divided by the distance from the middle of the distance between pupils down to the top of the upper lip. ("ideal" range is 0.95-1.15) (0.95-0.99 aren't ideal but they are still ok and are important for understanding the effects lens distortion)
View attachment 664341

Es Ratio: Calculated by the distance of the pupils divided by the distance of the widest part of your face (bizygos) (ideal range is 0.45-0.48)
View attachment 664343
Philtrum to chin ratio: Calculated by the height of your philtrum (the area between your nose and upper lip) divide with the height of your chin. (ideal is 1:1.8-1:2.75)
View attachment 664342
Chin to midface ratio: Calculated by the ratio of the height of your chin divided with the height of your previously mentioned midface. (ideal range is 0.55-0.65)
View attachment 664344

The reason why these ratios matter is because lens distortion kills them. You will look more narrow with more elongated facial features. (The elongated facial features will in turn pop out your features like nose and eyelid exposure out more, I have even noticed that it makes my lips thinner also). These ratios are all the crucial aspects of what makes a face harmonious, and the distortion of multiple ratios is a Legitimate PSL dropper. It's not in your head.

FWHR:
View attachment 664351View attachment 664353 (1.65-->1.93)

Midface:
View attachment 664355
View attachment 664413(0.98-->1.02)

Es Ratio:

View attachment 664361View attachment 664362 (.479-->.437)

Philtrum to chin ratio:

View attachment 664365View attachment 664367 (1:2.48-->1:2.77)

View attachment 664396View attachment 664397
(.48-->.62)

FWHR -

Philtrum to chin ratio - 1:1.65-1:1.8 in selfies (decent). 1:1.9-1:2.1 in real life. (ideal)

Chin to midface ratio - 0.48-0.51 in selfies (decent). 0.56-0.58 in real life (great)

Next time you are worried about how you in selfies, remember that your facial ratios that make the balance and harmony of your face are getting fucked over by the lens distortion.

If you guys want to measure the differences in ratios and say them in the comments, then use this measuring website I used:

NOTE: The question to if you will look worse or better with lens distortion is entirely up to how high or low your ratios are. If you are wide and compact, you can look better with lens distortion due to it normalizing your features if the ratios are too high. If you are a narrow and long, you can look worse with lens distortion due to it making you even more long and narrow.
Vegetable police jfl

View attachment 664340
View attachment 664341

View attachment 664343
View attachment 664342
View attachment 664344

FWHR:

Midface:
View attachment 664355

Es Ratio:

Philtrum to chin ratio:

(.48-->.62)

FWHR -

High IQ thread 📚

• Love it
when will they make phones with good cameras

• +1
Reactions: kiyopon
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: kiyopon, BeestungLipsTheory, ezio6 and 8 others
Always fucks with me. I look good in the mirror but like fucking shit in selfies. Like a different person actually.

• +1
Reactions: kiyopon, Warlow, Deleted member 2157 and 1 other person
easily one of the best posts in this forum. Amazing

• Love it
tera lifefuel faggot, thank you.i was wondering why the fuck my face looks so disgusting in selfies and somewhat decent in the mirror.i was really wondering where did the horseface come from jfl

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: ezio6, Deleted member 9072 and Deleted member 8064
Looks pretty accurate when i compare my measurements from selfies and then im trying to do same in mirror.

@Kingkellz @her i guess this thread deserves to be in the best of best before normies and jews like Brett Maverick steal it and share it out for shekels.

• Love it
The jews made phone lens theory

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: kiyopon, Deleted member 8064 and Inscol
Cannon makes faces look nice
Nikon the exact opposite

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 23554, ezio6 and RAITEIII
also nose to mouth width ratio is fucked from lens distortion

my nose looks huge in selfies

• +1
Reactions: ezio6 and Deleted member 8064

View attachment 664340
View attachment 664341

View attachment 664343
View attachment 664342
View attachment 664344

FWHR:

Midface:
View attachment 664355

Es Ratio:

Philtrum to chin ratio:

(.48-->.62)

FWHR -

Chad. Mirin tbh