Potency of Caloric Restriction as a lifestyle to Delay Ageing in Humans

Youㅤ

Youㅤ

seriousmaxxing , only talk serious
Caloric restriction (CR) , as applied in laboratory mice , can extend lifespan by 20 to 40 percent compared to ad libitum (free access to chow) .

Several caveats exist , however .

One caveat is that a major cause of laboratory mouse mortality is cancer . Therefore , reduceing cancer mortality but not ageing would give the illusion of an anti ageing effect .

Another caveat is that CR mice typically eat all of their allotment of food within a few hours , whereas ad lib mice eat throughout the 24 hour period . This increases the efficiency of CR mice , for they get used to only haveing to process food at the specific time of which they are routinely fed . They also are fasted for quite some time each day .

Another caveat is that ad lib mice often become obese , and therefore simply preventing obesity would prevent accelerated ageing and death and doesnt necessarily mean that restricting calories in healthy weight humans would further slow ageing .

Another caveat is that mouse chow contains toxins like AGEs and other contaminants . Therefore it may not be calories per se that is restricted to delay death but the toxins , such as AGEs .

Another caveat is that CR mice are often given extra vitamin and mineral mix so that their micronutrient intake is similar to ad lib mice depsite reduced chow consumption . This means their micronutrient density is increased , yet in humans , reduceing food intake generally will reduce micronutrients as well as calories .

And the last caveat I will mention is one that Aubrey de Grey mentions in the linked article , that mice simply have shorter lifespans than humans , and that humans presumeably would gain a smaller degree of life extension from CR , perhaps only 2-3 years at most .

I will mention my idea on the mechanistic theory of CR . Based on the assumption that CR per se slows ageing , my perspective is that the primary mechanism of this is by decreaseing natural processes such as growth , reproductive capactites , and immune activation . In organic chemistry , all reactions generate byproducts in addition to the main purpose of the reaction . Therefore , by reduceing growth and reprodcutive and immune processes , CR can decrease the rate at which damage (ageing) accumulates .

This is in theory , but in practice the potential degree of the anti-ageing effect is unknown in ourselves .

Last edited: