Progressive overload with pushups?

flippasav

flippasav

Flippin Savauge
Dumbbell or barbell chest presses aren’t everything btw. My max on dumbbells’s is 32 kg on each hand and 80 with bench at 19.

I wanted to do a chest workout at HOME rather than going to the gym idk why. Here’s what I did: (calisthenics)

- 120 pushups (30 explosive reps for the first set, then 20 second after those I did 10 pushups every 3 minutes because those sets are needed for rest)

- 260 ab crunches - like 20-40 every 2 minutes

- 70 back pack shoulder raises

- 30 reverse crunches

- 40 side planks

- 40 leg raises

- 2 minute plank to finish it off

• +1
Reactions: ryuken, Debetro and NZb6Air
@iblamechico @Debetro @PsychoDsk @asdvek

• +1
Reactions: asdvek
I guess that is fine. How many pushups in a row can you do?

• +1
Reactions: flippasav and ryuken
just go to the gym instead of doing your gayisthenics

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Rzn, NZb6Air and flippasav
In terms of the first go I can do 28-32 in one go my max was like 35 but I can definitely push harder next time tbh

What about u?

• +1
Reactions: Debetro
just go to the gym instead of doing your gayisthenics
Weights aren’t the only factor to actual muscle growth. Many pro athletes stick with calisthenics most of the time. Even though you still obviously need to lift.

Doing calisthenics makes you lose fat + build muscle at the same time which is underrated

• Woah
Reactions: ryuken
Why don’t you just do weighted pushups?

In terms of the first go I can do 28-32 in one go my max was like 35 but I can definitely push harder next time tbh

What about u?
40 but I'm a weak ass now. My goal would be getting to 80-100 till 2025, it should not be really hard

• +1
Reactions: flippasav
40 but I'm a weak ass now. My goal would be getting to 80-100 till 2025, it should not be really hard
Mirin, nice work brah

• +1
Your only choice is weighted push ups or you increase the angle and it goes more and more towards upper chest till it's mostly shoulders. Doing above 30 push ups in a set sounds like a waste of time and energy and it wouldn't give you any meaningful gains imo.

• +1
Your only choice is weighted push ups or you increase the angle and it goes more and more towards upper chest till it's mostly shoulders. Doing above 30 push ups in a set sounds like a waste of time and energy and it wouldn't give you any meaningful gains imo.
Yeah but shouldn’t you aim for the most pushups in your very first set? Then gradually do less set after set…

It’s true that I can barely feel anything in my chest it’s mostly the triceps and a but of the bidelt muscles so I do in fact need to do more weighted pushups your right

You can also do one arm push ups and stable yourself with a ball or something with the other hand. Then, you remove the ball and it's just one arm push ups. You're not gonna do 20 of those anytime soon.

• +1
Yeah but shouldn’t you aim for the most pushups in your very first set? Then gradually do less set after set…
No point in going over 30 reps because it's not really about the muscle anymore but just endurance, it's a form of cardio imo. That's why no bodybuilder / powerlifter / strongman or even guys who do calisthenics will try to work in that 30+ range because it's just a waste of time.

• +1
Reactions: flippasav and Debetro
Mirin, nice work brah
It's not really difficult imo unless you weigh a lot, average people have cripple tier strenght nowadays. Most can't even do 10 push-ups properly. School P.E. no longer has any serious strenght requirements neither there is obligatory military service in most countries.

• +1
No point in going over 30 reps because it's not really about the muscle anymore but just endurance, it's a form of cardio imo. That's why no bodybuilder / powerlifter / strongman or even guys who do calisthenics will try to work in that 30+ range because it's just a waste of time.
True true

It kinda causes muscle wasting too

It's not really difficult imo unless you weigh a lot, average people have cripple tier strenght nowadays. Most can't even do 10 push-ups properly. School P.E. no longer has any serious strenght requirements neither there is obligatory military service in most countries.
Tbh

• +1
Reactions: asdvek
explosive -> weighted -> archer pushups - > handstand pushups -> one arm pushups

Gym gains are faster but sure
infinite, its mentality. I hit 100

• +1