Racism May Increase Risk of Heart Disease

6"4 Tyrone(I'm not)

6"4 Tyrone(I'm not)

I have no enemies
Racial discrimination may increase the risk of young Black adults developing cardiovascular disease, a new study suggests.

Roughly 1 in 3 adults in the United States have what is known as metabolic syndrome—a cluster of conditions that dramatically increase the risk of developing heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes. According to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, metabolic syndrome is characterized by having three or more of the following: abdominal obesity; high blood pressure; high blood sugar levels; high blood fat levels; and low levels of "good" cholesterol.

Experts don't fully understand what causes metabolic syndrome, although it appears to result from a combination of lifestyle factors and genetics. Obesity and a sedentary lifestyle are commonly associated with metabolic syndrome, but age, fat distribution and chronic stress may also contribute.

The relationship between metabolic syndrome and race is unclear, with Black women being disproportionately affected.

With chronic stress being a known risk factor for metabolic syndrome, researchers from Northwestern University set about investigating whether stress caused by racial discrimination could predispose Black individuals to metabolic syndrome, and
subsequently cardiovascular disease.

Be racist

• So Sad
Reactions: Xangsane
Racial discrimination may increase the risk of young Black adults developing cardiovascular disease, a new study suggests.

Roughly 1 in 3 adults in the United States have what is known as metabolic syndrome—a cluster of conditions that dramatically increase the risk of developing heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes. According to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, metabolic syndrome is characterized by having three or more of the following: abdominal obesity; high blood pressure; high blood sugar levels; high blood fat levels; and low levels of "good" cholesterol.

Experts don't fully understand what causes metabolic syndrome, although it appears to result from a combination of lifestyle factors and genetics. Obesity and a sedentary lifestyle are commonly associated with metabolic syndrome, but age, fat distribution and chronic stress may also contribute.

The relationship between metabolic syndrome and race is unclear, with Black women being disproportionately affected.

With chronic stress being a known risk factor for metabolic syndrome, researchers from Northwestern University set about investigating whether stress caused by racial discrimination could predispose Black individuals to metabolic syndrome, and
subsequently cardiovascular disease.

Be racist
Nonsense blacks just have stressful lives as our lives are dark souls difficulty compared to Cumskins which live lives on easymode. Same applies to why women live longer than men because men have harder lives

• +1
Reactions: 6"4 Tyrone(I'm not)