Some notes on infraorbital implants, harmony, and the necessity of a saddle

D

Deleted member 18582

Poet laureate of the deep state
The fact people describe such implants and the area they are meant to cover as "undereye support" or lack thereof is kind of misleading as to the effect it has on overall facial harmony.

In fact, infraorbitals doesn't really give you undereye support at all unless they are saddled. Despite the name of the implant.

here is a case of someone who got one and you can clearly see that he needed badly such an implant, it was just imperfectly executed. He presents a case that highlights the importance of such implants being saddled or being paired with a fat graft to the area immediately under the eye.

BEFORE:
userimage-fd3aecc6-990d-4562-94b4-fd9cf1479a19.

userimage-fa223e54-22be-4e3f-b7c7-3b50c325e511.

userimage-01ef29cc-6f6a-44a4-9103-171f1b81f652.

AFTER:

userimage-8961e786-7089-450f-8f04-e5fc2550bc12.

userimage-d9d1ee06-d669-49c4-b409-792f7822d786.

userimage-6bdea84a-845f-4fd8-bf33-e01478ba91fc.

On the RealSelf post you can see he is complaining about how they look too "bulky" or "unnatural." In reality, he got the perfect amount of projection, it is just that there is a dramatic cutoff between the area immediately under the eye and malar region just below this area.. This is because the implant did not go high enough. In effect, they gave did not give any "under eye support."

Now, imagine he had gotten them saddled or had a fat graft, which would fill in the green portion highlighted below.

capture-decran-2023-07-11-215311-png.2314245

Capture dcran 2023 07 21 003659

I remember being really confused about what an infraorbital implant did when I first went on PSL. The main reason you get an infraorbital implant is not because you have a lack of underye support--if that is your only issue, you get something else (fillers, fat grafts, volufiline, etc..) So it is misleading and confusing to call it an implant for the eyes, even if the name refers to the orbitals. Infraorbital implant is really more a kind of cheek implant.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: greywind, mattix, hattrick and 13 others
Maybe some filler would help the gap? @thecel

Maybe some filler would help the gap? @thecel
Filler could work but is tricky in the undereyes.

Best to get them saddled or have them done with a fat graft

• +1
Reactions: Copexodius Maximus and WanderingBurro
Who does saddled implants?

Good thread. my fav user atm

Does the saddle not address that as you yourself said tho?

I haven't seen vollufine results that addressed scleral show. Underye support, sure, but not scleral show.

And fat grafting looks minor to me aswell

So I assume saddled infraorbital implants are the best for SS?
Yes, this post mainly pertains to infras with no saddle.
The saddle is what provides the undereye support and some minor scleral show reduction/lower eyelid retraction.
I agree that having one saddled is better than trying to camoflage it later.

• +1
Reactions: WanderingBurro and ccwarrior
Good thread. my fav user atm

Does the saddle not address that as you yourself said tho?

I haven't seen vollufine results that addressed scleral show. Underye support, sure, but not scleral show.

And fat grafting looks minor to me aswell

So I assume saddled infraorbital implants are the best for SS?
Also with that part of the post I mean to point at those who already have decent projection of the infraorbital (such as in his after) but still have bad undereye support. In such cases they dont get an implant at all but would try one of those options

Will saddled implants cause blindness??

• +1
Reactions: goatedjordan23
It's because he got huge amount of anterior projection volume that disrupted the soft transition between under his eyes and cheek/malar area, and u cant insert the implants that high, actually, u cant even inject fat in that remaining hollow area, is way too near the eyes.

You are right, the best approach would be fat graft in addition to the implants, thing is, fat is also unpredictable, specially on top of a implant.

But In his case he is botched. The anterior projection of the implant was too much, no way to add fat or fillers above it to try to fix the issue, its too near the eyes, too dangerous.

He needs to replace the implant and get one with less projection and then adding fat in the surroundings to polish and soften the eye/ cheek transition, a hell of a hard job to be honest.

If u check Taban best results with implants, u will notice how conservative is the increase in anterior projection, having too much unnatural anterior projection in that area just creates a new higher hollowing spot

he also doesnt have lateral orbital rim volume, he would need to have a equally distributed amount of volume in those areas to have an aesthetic outcome and this is not easy job, specially because majority of surgeons dont know shit about eye aesthetics

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: jfbjfb
It's because he got huge amount of anterior projection volume that disrupted the soft transition between under his eyes and cheek/malar area, and u cant insert the implants that high, actually, u cant even inject fat in that remaining hollow area, is way too near the eyes.

You are right, the best approach would be fat graft in addition to the implants, thing is, fat is also unpredictable, specially on top of a implant.

But In his case he is botched. The anterior projection of the implant was too much, no way to add fat or fillers above it to try to fix the issue, its too near the eyes, too dangerous.

He needs to replace the implant and get one with less projection and then adding fat in the surroundings to polish and soften the eye/ cheek transition, a hell of a hard job to be honest.

If u check Taban best results with implants, u will notice how conservative is the increase in anterior projection, having too much unnatural anterior projection in that area just creates a new higher hollowing spot
Or you simply add a saddle

But in any case it is difficult to do a fat graft with an unsaddled infra with a lot of projection

• +1
Reactions: stressftw
Or you simply add a saddle

But in any case it is difficult to do a fat graft with an unsaddled infra with a lot of projection
saddle itself in some cases doesnt fix the transition issue that can happen, only with fillers and fat on top of it.

Saddle implants are the best indeed, but u still need to polish it, it's very hard to place it correctly

To be honest, the best results ive seen in eye areas are in adjunction to lifting techniques because they pull the soft tissue to make the area tighter

• +1
Reactions: Pumanator and Deleted member 18582
saddle itself in some cases doesnt fix the transition issue that can happen, only with fillers and fat on top of it.

Saddle implants are the best indeed, but u still need to polish it, it's very hard to place it correctly

To be honest, the best results ive seen in eye areas are in adjunction to lifting techniques because they pull the soft tissue to make the area tighter

View attachment 2331964
Lifting techniques as in cantho?

In any case, i dont disagree with you, the main point of my thread is just to insist we reconceptualize infra implants as a malar surgery than an eye area one—an infra implant simply doesnt do anything to the eyes so its weird to constantly come across people proposing it as a solution to eye area problems , especially undereye support

At that point it becomes a matter of ensuring different areas of the face harmonize together

In any case, i dont disagree with you, the main point of my thread is just to insist we reconceptualize infra implants as a malar surgery than an eye area one—an infra implant simply doesnt do anything to the eyes so its weird to constantly come across people proposing it as a solution to eye area problems , especially undereye support

At that point it becomes a matter of ensuring different areas of the face harmonize together
No cantho is different. Cantho doesnt change the eye surroundings only eye shape

Lifting techniques to lift and raise the entire midface and pull skin up

this results in a enormous improvement in eye area itself, because it fixes the weight of sagging skin and redistribute volume

No cantho is different. Cantho doesnt change the eye surroundings only eye shape

Lifting techniques to lift and raise the entire midface and pull skin up

this results in a enormous improvement in eye area itself, because it fixes the weight of sagging skin and redistribute volume

View attachment 2331972
Facelift?

Facelift?
yeah, but targeting midface, there are many types of facelifting.

the problem is that eye area and midface are very complex and different anatomical structures require totally different approaches, is not only a matter of adding volume, the outcomes are the most unpredictable

The best solution would be if we just had some sort of permanent fillers that can be easily dissolved if things go wrong, which unfortunately, doesnt exist.

Implants are always too risky, but are the best "permanent" shot avaiable

Fat cant be easily removed and HA fillers not only can cause puffy eyes by dragging water but can migrate and eventually wont last long in the best case scenario.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 18582
guy went from nordic to slav pheno tbh

Is it possible to get undereye fat grafting, and if dissatisfied with the result to get infra implants after?