Surgery ORDER (experts needed)

thecel

thecel

narrow-orbits brachy-skull ogre
Medically/physically speaking, does it matter what order you get surgeries in?

Scenario 1: Surgeries that don't overlap, like a brow ridge implant and a chin implant. I don't think order matters with these, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Scenario 2: A big surgery and a small surgery inside the area affected by the big one. E.g. LeFort 1 and LeFort 2. I don't know if order matters here. Can someone knowledgeable about surgery explain if it makes any difference (aesthetically, medically, or regarding the risk of botched surgeries) to get LeFort 1 after LeFort 2 vs. LeFort 2 after LeFort 1?

Scenario 3: Partially overlapping surgeries. E.g. Bimax + LeFort 1, and rhino + alar base reduction. Does order matter?

And are there rules you should follow regarding the order of different types of surgeries? For instance, brow ridge implant + orbital expansion surgery, and BSSO + chin implant. I think implants should come after osteotomies; am I correct? What about surgeries and growth appliances? Should you get MSE before or after LeFort 1?

Last edited:
  • Hmm...
Reactions: pizza
@RealSurgerymax

• +1
Reactions: RealSurgerymax
Yes it depends on the surgery. LeFort I (Upper Jaw Surgery) can undo the work of a rhinoplasty, and also help the convexity of the nose some on its own. So Rhinoplasty should be one of the final surgeries.

a lot can be done together.

I cant think of a scenerio where you would get a LeFort II and then a LeFort I. LeFort III+I is already somewhat standard.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12146, oatmeal, AlwaysHaveQuestions and 2 others
Yes it depends on the surgery. LeFort I (Upper Jaw Surgery) can undo the work of a rhinoplasty, and also help the convexity of the nose some on its own. So Rhinoplasty should be one of the final surgeries.

a lot can be done together.

I cant think of a scenerio where you would get a LeFort II and then a LeFort I. LeFort III+I is already somewhat standard.
would eye come after rhino since it can change the skin around the eye?

• +1
Reactions: thecel
MSE first. Osteotomies before implants and implants before minor soft tissue manipulation. A LeFort 2 IS a LeFort 1 essentially, it just covers a larger area. Just like a LeFort 3 will cover even more. 😅 Implants can theoretically be combined with an osteotomy, however I doubt there are many surgeons that are good at both.

• +1
Reactions: RealSurgerymax and thecel