Temporalis hypertrophy to increase zygomatic width?

D

Deleted member 1901

Kraken
32795D79 5064 4610 B9A4 99E66D3CE716

Look at the male martens above. The images shown are sorted with younger to the left and older to the right. The differences between them represent stereotypical changes with age in male martens. You can see that even the leftmost marten has all sutures fused, and is an adult. In male martens, the temporalis enlarges over time during adulthood. This probably (according to my theory) drives the observed skeletal changes like wider zygomas and sagittal crest formation. If the same could be applied to humans, then temporalis hypertrophy would increase zygomatic width. What do you think?

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer, materialistic and thecel
First of all, what book is this? And how do you think one thing leads to another?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1901
just be pine marten theory

• +1
First of all, what book is this? And how do you think one thing leads to another?
Animal skulls (Mark Elbroch)

I don’t “think” that temporalis hypertrophy leads to an increase in zygomatic width. I had an observation, and decided that the question is worth discussion as a theory. In theory, and increase in size of the temporalis could push outward on the zygoma and therefore increase zygomatic width. The problem is that, at least in humans, and from what I can see on google images of the temporalis, the portion of the temporalis that is immediately through the zygoma is the temporal fascia, which may or may not be as capable of hypertrophy as the upper portion. (I’ll need to do some reasearch, as I am just guessing)

• +1
Reactions: materialistic
both temporalis and masseter have the same function but different attachment points

masseter attaches to zygos and temporalis attaches from the lower jaw to the side of the skull

so yes temporalis hypertrophy should mean a larger zygos overtime because the masseter is being worked as well, but you must chew and clench

I have a theory clenching can not only remodel the ramus, increase masseter hypertrophy but it can push the maxilla upwards and make the zygos go up with it for even higher set zygos

• +1
both temporalis and masseter have the same function but different attachment points

masseter attaches to zygos and temporalis attaches from the lower jaw to the side of the skull

so yes temporalis hypertrophy should mean a larger zygos overtime because the masseter is being worked as well, but you must chew and clench

I have a theory clenching can not only remodel the ramus, increase masseter hypertrophy but it can push the maxilla upwards and make the zygos go up with it for even higher set zygos
I support your theory. I chewed more on my right side my whole life (until recently). My right side is vertically compressed and my zygo on that side is more prominent and a bit higher. My gonion on that side is sharper. The big question is if you can change bone structure in adults.

View attachment 2089303
Look at the male martens above. The images shown are sorted with younger to the left and older to the right. The differences between them represent stereotypical changes with age in male martens. You can see that even the leftmost marten has all sutures fused, and is an adult. In male martens, the temporalis enlarges over time during adulthood. This probably (according to my theory) drives the observed skeletal changes like wider zygomas and sagittal crest formation. If the same could be applied to humans, then temporalis hypertrophy would increase zygomatic width. What do you think?
this was smart why'd you not apply?

• +1
View attachment 2089303
It means we should do chewing exercises to develop temporalis muscles?