What do you want to know about skincare?

B

benignice

Diamond
I'm planning on adding some more info into the guide but I wanted to make sure that whatever I put in was actually stuff that you want to know. So far I'm planning on writing about Co Q10 and peptides (although this one is a bit general), but other than that I'm not sure what else you all want in there so any ideas would be appreciated.

As always, if you have any other skincare questions I'll do my best to help out.

• +1
Reactions: draco, Seth Walsh, Rift and 8 others
how to close pores

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4545 and Fubarcel
how to close pores
You can't. They're not doors.
What type of retinol lotion is good for preventing wrinkles and aging that keeps the skin smooth and young??

and is retinol even that good in that regard in the first place to achieve that??

ive been using it for about a year straight now
There's already a bit in the guide about retinoids, what else would you like to know?

• JFL
Reactions: Danish_Retard, Deleted member 4804, Rift and 2 others
how to close pores
This would be lifefuel srs, I have a ton of open pores on my nose and cheeks, nowhere else thankfully. I saw some before-afters of people who got worked on with lasers, not sure if that's legit or just a temporary fix but they looked perfect in the afters.
Hell, I'd even settle for a product that hides them for most of the day.

How to get as much collagen as possible

• +1
Reactions: EthnicelAscension, Ogmanman, Rift and 9 others
The real question is : can you use every retinoid?

Oh for fucks sake.
1. Tazarotene and tretinoin (Retin A) are not the only retinoids.
2. There's a reason that tazarotene isn't really used other than for acne and psoriasis. It's not as great (in terms of it's cosmetic benefits) as other retinoids.
3. The suggestion that the combination of these two activates "all 3 retinoid receptors in my skin" shows the funadmental misunderstanding of retinoids. Tretinoin will do that all on it's own. All you're doing by using tretinoin and tazarotene at the same time is pissing your skin off for no good reason.

• +1
  • Woah
  • JFL
Reactions: MoostWestThuisBest, RAITEIII, DidntRead and 2 others
How do I stop looking like a dominoes pizza?

• +1
Reactions: MoostWestThuisBest
Some research on loose skin would be cool for us fatties who are anxious about having loose skin when they lose the weight. I don't think it really counts as skincare tho.

• +1
Reactions: Ogmanman and Zoneator
In terms of what? Acne?
Yeah,

I'm currently on

Accutane
Red light therapy
I eat lots of high vit a vegetables

And I want to know what else I can do

How to have the best collagen and skin ever, son?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1707 and gymislife
Yeah,

I'm currently on

Accutane
Red light therapy
I eat lots of high vit a vegetables

And I want to know what else I can do
If you're already on Accutane then you're already using the big guns. How long have you been using it?

If you're already on Accutane then you're already using the big guns. How long have you been using it?
I used it for 8 months 60mg but stopped for 9 months,went on retin a

And now I've just started taking it maybe 3 weeks ago again

I used it for 8 months 60mg but stopped for 9 months,went on retin a

And now I've just started taking it maybe 3 weeks ago again
I assume this is all what your dermatologist recommended?

I'm planning on adding some more info into the guide but I wanted to make sure that whatever I put in was actually stuff that you want to know. So far I'm planning on writing about Co Q10 and peptides (although this one is a bit general), but other than that I'm not sure what else you all want in there so any ideas would be appreciated.

As always, if you have any other skincare questions I'll do my best to help out.
skin type and how to skin lighten to this

• Ugh..
Reactions: Wannabe6ft2
I assume this is all what your dermatologist recommended?
No,I stopped taking accutane because my skin was clear and the sides were brutal

And I just started talking retin a and it was fine until I got sick and my acne blew up again

No,I stopped taking accutane because my skin was clear and the sides were brutal

And I just started talking retin a and it was fine until I got sick and my acne blew up again
Yeah the side effects of isotretinoin are no joke.
Talk to your derm, see what they recommend. If isotretinoin has worked for you in the past, that's likely what they'll recommend though.
If you're dead set against isotretinoin, then tretinoin (with or without benzoyl peroxide) and maybe salicylic acid are probably your best options.

• +1
Reactions: RichardSpencel
Yeah the side effects of isotretinoin are no joke.
Talk to your derm, see what they recommend. If isotretinoin has worked for you in the past, that's likely what they'll recommend though.
If you're dead set against isotretinoin, then tretinoin (with or without benzoyl peroxide) and maybe salicylic acid are probably your best options.
tf's my answer

Oh for fucks sake.
2. There's a reason that tazarotene isn't really used other than for acne and psoriasis. It's not as great (in terms of it's cosmetic benefits) as other retinoids.
3. The suggestion that the combination of these two activates "all 3 retinoid receptors in my skin" shows the funadmental misunderstanding of retinoids. Tretinoin will do that all on it's own. All you're doing by using tretinoin and tazarotene at the same time is pissing your skin off for no good reason.

How does using only Retin-A activate all 3 retinoid receptors? The studies I read stated that it only activates the alpha receptor. Also, meta-analyses of studies have found that Tazorac is effective at treating photodamaged skin:

Oh for fucks sake.
I’m sorry but you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Tazorac is the most effective retinoid for removing acne scars. After 2 weeks, all of my acne scars were removed using 0.1% of Tazorac. Been using Retin-A for 8 months and this never happened. Tazarotene is on the same level as microneedling for atrophic acne scars.

How does using only Retin-A activate all 3 retinoid receptors? The studies I read stated that it only activates the alpha receptor. Also, meta-analyses of studies have found that Tazorac is effective at treating photodamaged skin:

He’s wrong. Only Tazo and Differin act on the RAR beta and RAR gamma subtypes.

Tazorac is the most effective retinoid for removing acne scars. After 2 weeks, all of my acne scars were removed using 0.1% of Tazorac. Been using Retin-A for 8 months and this never happened. Tazarotene is on the same level as microneedling for atrophic acne scars.

He’s wrong. Only Tazo and Differin act on the RAR beta and RAR gamma subtypes.
I'm delighted that it worked so well for you, truly. However, while tazarotene is looking incredibly promising for treating atrophic acne scarring, it is not yet the first line of treatment, and it certainly doesn't have the literature backing for other cosmetic uses in the way that other topical retinoids do.

As for the question of receptors, I'd love to see a source for your statement. Because everything I've ever seen showed that tretinoin binds to all three RAR subtypes.
See:
-Tretinoin peel: a critical review (2017) Sumita, J. et al.
-Retinoids in the treatment of skin aging: an overview of clinical efficacy and safety. (2006) Mukherjee et al
-Skincare Science: Update on Topical Retinoids. (2006) Boswell C.B.
-Structural basis for isotope selectivity of the human retinoid acid nuclear receptor (2000) Klaholz, B.P. and Moras, D
-Retinoic acid receptor beta mediates all-trans retinoic acid facilitation of mesenchymal stem cells neuronal differentiation (2013) Gong, M. and Li, T.
-The Pleiotropic Role of Retinoic Acid/ Retinoic Acid Receptors Signalling: From Vitamin A Metabolism to Gene Rearrangements in Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia (2019) Conserva et al
-The influence of bexarotene, a selective agonist of the retinoid receptor X (RXR) and tazarotene, a selective agonist of the retinoid acid receptor (RAR), on bone metabolism in rats (2016) Nowak, B and Szelag, A.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Mayorga

Acne Scars... How can I wipe em out?

What side effects did u get? There’s no point taking it if ur not gonna complete the course

13-cis-RA gets isomerized to ATRA in sebocytes. ATRA binds to all 3 RAR isoforms.
13-cis retinoic acid is isotretinoin, not tretinoin (all-trans retinoic acid) but yes, tretinoin does bind to all 3 RARs. Just wanted to minimise any confusion since the original comment was about tretinoin, not isotretinoin.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 656 and Mayorga
13-cis retinoic acid is isotretinoin, not tretinoin (all-trans retinoic acid) but yes, tretinoin does bind to all 3 RARs. Just wanted to minimise any confusion since the original comment was about tretinoin, not isotretinoin.

got the flow of the discussion mixed up - thought the substance of interest is accutane (isotretinoin)

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 656 and benignice
How destroit sebaceus filaments on nose

How to have the best collagen and skin ever, son?

Glycine my friend. In addition to its remarkable health effects (this study for example among many others : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5350494/), it has been shown in this study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6153947/) 10 g per day increases collagen production by 200 %. I'm really surprised so few people here seem to give taurine (https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-is-taurine#bottom-line) and glycine the importance these 2 specific amino acids do deserve.

• +1
Reactions: Rift and her

Pics?

What type of retinol lotion is good for preventing wrinkles and aging that keeps the skin smooth and young??

and is retinol even that good in that regard in the first place to achieve that??

ive been using it for about a year straight now

Tretinoin is the retinoid you should be using, and it's excellent for anti aging. However, it increases photosensitivity, so ensuring you are consistently using a UVA and UVB sunscreen is critical.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 656
is exfoliating cope

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: |Daddy_Zygos|, Seth Walsh and Deleted member 4209
What kind of exfoliator do you recommend?
An AHA product is usually a good go to, PHA if you're particularly dry or sensitive- I'm not a fan of physical exfoliants. There's more info in the guide.

• +1
Reactions: |Daddy_Zygos| and her
Got an opinion on oral HA?

Got an opinion on oral HA?
As always, my area isn't supplements. That being said, I'm not yet convinced about oral HA- just not enough evidence yet for me personally.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 656

HOW CAN WE GRT UNMOGGABLE SKIN?

DO WE HAVE TO DRINK THE BLOOD OF NEWBORNS?

ROTHSCHILD MAXING

• JFL
Reactions: Patient A
As always, my area isn't supplements. That being said, I'm not yet convinced about oral HA- just not enough evidence yet for me personally.

What are your thoughts on oral astaxanthin, aloe vera, and xanthohumol (extracted from hops)? Apparebtly there is evidence that all 3 can boost collagen production.

Also curious to hear what you think about oral ceramides

Can lactic acid peel once a week clear out my face and neck being 4 shades darker than the rest of my body? How long do I have to wait after microneedling to do a lactic acid peel and vice versa?

What are your thoughts on oral astaxanthin, aloe vera, and xanthohumol (extracted from hops)? Apparebtly there is evidence that all 3 can boost collagen production.

Also curious to hear what you think about oral ceramides
I've not gone much into supplements and drugs (other than retinoids) since I was at university so I'm really not qualified to say either way (which is why I don't comment on them much).

That being said, I think that for astaxanthin and xanthohumol, we're still at the very early stages of research and so I can't really say either way other than be sensible and talk to your doctor. Quite frankly I'm even less convinced by oral aloe vera but again, we still have a lot of research to do and I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. I'm also not yet convinced that oral ceramides are a great option (again, we're lacking a lot of research) but I'm quietly hopeful on this one because I fucking love ceramides.

Can lactic acid peel once a week clear out my face and neck being 4 shades darker than the rest of my body? How long do I have to wait after microneedling to do a lactic acid peel and vice versa?
That depends. Why is your face and neck darker than the rest of your body? Sun exposure or is it just naturally that way? If its the latter, a lactic acid peel won't change that. As for how long to wait, it depends on the strength of the peel.

• +1
Reactions: Zeta ascended
I've not gone much into supplements and drugs (other than retinoids) since I was at university so I'm really not qualified to say either way (which is why I don't comment on them much).

That being said, I think that for astaxanthin and xanthohumol, we're still at the very early stages of research and so I can't really say either way other than be sensible and talk to your doctor. Quite frankly I'm even less convinced by oral aloe vera but again, we still have a lot of research to do and I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. I'm also not yet convinced that oral ceramides are a great option (again, we're lacking a lot of research) but I'm quietly hopeful on this one because I fucking love ceramides.

That depends. Why is your face and neck darker than the rest of your body? Sun exposure or is it just naturally that way? If its the latter, a lactic acid peel won't change that. As for how long to wait, it depends on the strength of the peel.
when you gonna answer my question

Mostly sun exposure. I've been trying to get rid of it since 2017 using everything from "home remedies" to 4% hydroquinone. Never did an acid peel tbh. I was still somewhat able to lighten my face last year tho but I forgot what I used.