What do you want to know about skincare?

when you gonna answer my question
Mostly sun exposure. I've been trying to get rid of it since 2017 using everything from "home remedies" to 4% hydroquinone. Never did an acid peel tbh. I was still somewhat able to lighten my face last year tho but I forgot what I used.
I'm not on board with skin lightening to be honest (hyperpigmentation is a different story). It's incredibly difficult and can be down right dangerous.
If you've not seen a difference with 4% hydroquinone then you're likely just going to have to deal with it, I'm afraid.

• So Sad
Reactions: Zeta ascended
I'm not on board with skin lightening to be honest (hyperpigmentation is a different story). It's incredibly difficult and can be down right dangerous.
If you've not seen a difference with 4% hydroquinone then you're likely just going to have to deal with it, I'm afraid.
I just don't get this whole thing. Michael Jackson can change his whole race meanwhile it takes me years to make my face match my body.......:feelsree::feelsree::feelsree::feelsree::feelsree::feelsree::feelsree::feelsree:.......Thoughts on skin lightening with the use of lazers?:feelsping:

Thoughts on skin lightening with the use of lazers?:feelsping:
I've only ever seen/heard it be used on areas of hyperpigmentation, not an entire face and neck so fuck knows, quite honestly. Although again, I wouldn't recommend.
How dangerous is hydroquinone 4%, does it interfere with collagen production. Does it have any downsides?
I don't have much to do with it honestly since (somewhat controversially) its banned in cosmetics here (and I think Australia and Japan too, although correct me if I'm wrong) and in the US its limited to a 2% concentration.
In short, yes it has downsides, plenty of them. Yes, it looks like it might fuck with collagen.
I've recently learned that some topical products arent good due to increasing estrogen levels.
That last statement is pretty vague, any further info?

• +1
Reactions: Zeta ascended
I've not gone much into supplements and drugs (other than retinoids) since I was at university so I'm really not qualified to say either way (which is why I don't comment on them much).

That being said, I think that for astaxanthin and xanthohumol, we're still at the very early stages of research and so I can't really say either way other than be sensible and talk to your doctor. Quite frankly I'm even less convinced by oral aloe vera but again, we still have a lot of research to do and I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. I'm also not yet convinced that oral ceramides are a great option (again, we're lacking a lot of research) but I'm quietly hopeful on this one because I fucking love ceramides.

Thanks. So do you think it could be a bad idea to start taking a daily regimen of astaxanthin, xanthohumol, ceramides, and possibly oral aloe vera if someone doesn't mind wasting ~$100 a month just to see what happens?

Also, I forgot to ask in my last post what you thought of an extract of a plant called polypodium. It's being marketed as something like an oral sunscreen and apparently can inhibit MMP enzymes (and maybe boost collagen production?) as well.

And have you heard of apocynin? It was in the news a few months ago; apparently it can stimulate the production of new dermal skin cells (or something like that) but I don't think it's being included as an ingredient in any products yet.

What should a 19 year old do with normal healthy levels of collagen?

Should I still be taking measures for the years to come?

I'm delighted that it worked so well for you, truly. However, while tazarotene is looking incredibly promising for treating atrophic acne scarring, it is not yet the first line of treatment, and it certainly doesn't have the literature backing for other cosmetic uses in the way that other topical retinoids do.

As for the question of receptors, I'd love to see a source for your statement. Because everything I've ever seen showed that tretinoin binds to all three RAR subtypes.
See:
-Tretinoin peel: a critical review (2017) Sumita, J. et al.
-Retinoids in the treatment of skin aging: an overview of clinical efficacy and safety. (2006) Mukherjee et al
-Skincare Science: Update on Topical Retinoids. (2006) Boswell C.B.
-Structural basis for isotope selectivity of the human retinoid acid nuclear receptor (2000) Klaholz, B.P. and Moras, D
-Retinoic acid receptor beta mediates all-trans retinoic acid facilitation of mesenchymal stem cells neuronal differentiation (2013) Gong, M. and Li, T.
-The Pleiotropic Role of Retinoic Acid/ Retinoic Acid Receptors Signalling: From Vitamin A Metabolism to Gene Rearrangements in Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia (2019) Conserva et al
-The influence of bexarotene, a selective agonist of the retinoid receptor X (RXR) and tazarotene, a selective agonist of the retinoid acid receptor (RAR), on bone metabolism in rats (2016) Nowak, B and Szelag, A.
There's a reason why adapalene and tazarotene are more effective than tretinoin for treating acne scars because of there high affinity for RAR-beta and RAR-gamma. Tazorac is also more effective than Retin-A in reducing inflammatory and noninflammatory lesions. But ye, I was wrong about the tretinoin binding.

Everyone here should be taking Astaxanthin. Didn't realize how important it was until I did some research.

hey yeah i have a question @benignice . why does my cock have acne

Thanks. So do you think it could be a bad idea to start taking a daily regimen of astaxanthin, xanthohumol, ceramides, and possibly oral aloe vera if someone doesn't mind wasting ~$100 a month just to see what happens?

Also, I forgot to ask in my last post what you thought of an extract of a plant called polypodium. It's being marketed as something like an oral sunscreen and apparently can inhibit MMP enzymes (and maybe boost collagen production?) as well.

And have you heard of apocynin? It was in the news a few months ago; apparently it can stimulate the production of new dermal skin cells (or something like that) but I don't think it's being included as an ingredient in any products yet.
I personally wouldn't do it, but if you want to then that's your decision. Just be aware that aloe is specifically used to relieve constipation so watch your dosage.
I'm absolutely not convinced by anything marketed as an "oral sunscreen" - stick to topical, and I would be vary wary of any company which was marketing their products in such a way. Other than that, don't know anything about it.
I've got some friends working in pharma research that are very excited about apocynin, but as far as its use in skin goes, I've got no idea honestly.
Also bare in mind that due to the ban on animal testing, its currently nigh on impossible to bring new cosmetic ingredients to market since they just don't have the necessary safety testing. That is likely to change within a few years though, there's some interesting developments being made on that front.

What should a 19 year old do with normal healthy levels of collagen?

Should I still be taking measures for the years to come?
Focus on keeping your skin healthy and protected right now.

There's a reason why adapalene and tazarotene are more effective than tretinoin for treating acne scars because of there high affinity for RAR-beta and RAR-gamma. Tazorac is also more effective than Retin-A in reducing inflammatory and noninflammatory lesions. But ye, I was wrong about the tretinoin binding.
On the whole, adapalene (and tretinoin) tend to be tolerated better than tazarotene, and obviously there's the whole fact that adapalene is now OTC in the US so it's much easier to get hold of.

Any other semi legit ways of lightening skin?
In terms of hyperpigmentation or full lightening?

hey yeah i have a question @benignice . why does my cock have acne
Go see a fucking doctor bro.

• +1
Reactions: |Daddy_Zygos|
with how much you bombard the guy with questions, you should be paying him lol

@benignice , you're hands down one of the most valuable posters

• +1
Reactions: balding17yomanletcel, athnico, Seth Walsh and 7 others

Hahaha thanks bro

• +1
Reactions: balding17yomanletcel and athnico
whats your opinion on 2 mm microneedling (with a dermapen) once every 5-6 weeks, its for mild acne scars (combined types) and how does it compare to a needle length of 1.5 purely for acne scars. I've done one treatment myself with a 1.5 mm and nearing 4 weeks of my next session.

I personally wouldn't do it, but if you want to then that's your decision. Just be aware that aloe is specifically used to relieve constipation so watch your dosage.
I'm absolutely not convinced by anything marketed as an "oral sunscreen" - stick to topical, and I would be vary wary of any company which was marketing their products in such a way. Other than that, don't know anything about it.
I've got some friends working in pharma research that are very excited about apocynin, but as far as its use in skin goes, I've got no idea honestly.
Also bare in mind that due to the ban on animal testing, its currently nigh on impossible to bring new cosmetic ingredients to market since they just don't have the necessary safety testing. That is likely to change within a few years though, there's some interesting developments being made on that front.

Do you know what some of those potential developments are (I.e., specific ingredients, etc.)?

The reason I ask is because I have a reckless, no-limits YOLO attitude when it comes to experimenting on myself with purported anti-aging treatments (especially those that pertain to boosting collagen/elastin production and looking younger), so I'll literally try almost anything with a bit of evidence behind it as long as it isn't known to be outright deadly.

Since you said you weren't that familiar with apocynin's skin care applications, I linked to a news article below that provides some solid info:

I'm thinking about buying some apocynin from a chemical supply company, dissolving it in some kind of vehicle, and applying it every night for at least several months to see if I notice anything.

Just curious, why would you advise against taking astaxanthin and/or xanthohumol? Is it because of the risk of wasting money, or because those substances are relatively unstudied and may be unsafe to take over the long-term? (On a related note, I believe I read somewhere that people are generally recommended to not take more than 12 mg of astaxanthin per day because it does appear to have activity on a number of physiologic systems, so I wasn't sure if that's what you were getting at).

Also, random question -- what's your opinion on topical tripeptide-21 (I've heard it's supposedly like a way more effective Matrixyl 3000) as well as topical EGF?

• +1
Reactions: Mayorga and Deleted member 656
Hey bro

Could you rate my skin care?

I have started it few months ago, my skin improved a lot, I am really happy with results, no more acne (just one pimple sometime but it could be from T injections lol)

Morning:
1. Cleanser (from acne.org)
2. 15 minutes Red Light Therapy
2. Dalacin T gel
3. Niacinamide + Zinc (from The Ordinary)
4. Buffet Serum (Matrixyl 3000,Matrixyl Synthe'6,Syn-Ake,Relistase,Argirelox - from The Ordinary)
5. Aloe Vera Gel

Evening:
1. Cleanser (from acne.org)
2. 15 minutes Red Light Therapy
3. Retin-a
4. Aloe Vera Gel

Dermarolling 1x per week

I am supplementing with: Vitamin C, Probiotics, L-Theanine, Niacin megadose, Zinc, Magnesium, Ashwagandha, Selenium, D3K2, Astaxanthin and Beta Carotene.

also, I am buying SPF 50 now.

I have few questions:
a) My acne scars are still here, what should I use for them? Should I just book laser treatment for that?
b) Should I add something in between Morning and Evening?
c) Should I do any skin care after gym?

Awesome topic by the way, keep it up.

Last edited:
whats your opinion on 2 mm microneedling (with a dermapen) once every 5-6 weeks, its for mild acne scars (combined types) and how does it compare to a needle length of 1.5 purely for acne scars. I've done one treatment myself with a 1.5 mm and nearing 4 weeks of my next session.
I wouldn't do a 2mm at home. That kind of length is really getting up there. Microneedling isn't my area of expertise though, I'm just going on what I know that my friends and colleagues recommend.

Do you know what some of those potential developments are (I.e., specific ingredients, etc.)?

The reason I ask is because I have a reckless, no-limits YOLO attitude when it comes to experimenting on myself with purported anti-aging treatments (especially those that pertain to boosting collagen/elastin production and looking younger), so I'll literally try almost anything with a bit of evidence behind it as long as it isn't known to be outright deadly.

Since you said you weren't that familiar with apocynin's skin care applications, I linked to a news article below that provides some solid info:

I'm thinking about buying some apocynin from a chemical supply company, dissolving it in some kind of vehicle, and applying it every night for at least several months to see if I notice anything.

Just curious, why would you advise against taking astaxanthin and/or xanthohumol? Is it because of the risk of wasting money, or because those substances are relatively unstudied and may be unsafe to take over the long-term? (On a related note, I believe I read somewhere that people are generally recommended to not take more than 12 mg of astaxanthin per day because it does appear to have activity on a number of physiologic systems, so I wasn't sure if that's what you were getting at).

Also, random question -- what's your opinion on topical tripeptide-21 (I've heard it's supposedly like a way more effective Matrixyl 3000) as well as topical EGF?
The developments I was talking about are the likes of MatTek and Episkin. Hopefully with that technology we'll be able to be testing more new actives in the upcoming years. Other than that, there's not much I can talk about in terms of whats in development.

I wouldn't recommend just buying anything from a chemical supply company and hoping for the best. There's a reason that we have to adhere to a fuck load of regulations and study for however long to be able to formulate shit.

It's a combination of both of those things honestly. Mostly the latter.

I think that topical EGF is great, personally I've seen some really nice results with it. Do you mean tetrapeptide-21? If so, not much info on it as of yet, but its looking promising.

Could you rate my skin care?

I have few questions:
a) My acne scars are still here, what should I use for them? Should I just book laser treatment for that?
b) Should I add something in between Morning and Evening?
c) Should I do any skin care after gym?
Skincare seems fine, if it's working for you, keep going with it. The main notes I'd make would be:
- The cleanser could be a bit harsh so watch out for it drying you out.
- Bare in mind that the Dalacin T gel is a topical antibiotic so don't use it for longer than you need to.
- If the aloe vera gel is enough hydration for you, keep going, but something with a bit more substance (especially on an evening) might not go amiss.

a) Depends on the kind of acne scar? Are they atrophic scars or just hyperpigmentation?
b) Not unless you want to. (Other than the SPF that you've already mentioned)
c) Wash your damn face. When do you go to the gym? You could just do your skincare routine as a whole then if its convenient.

• +1
Reactions: Michael
I wouldn't do a 2mm at home. That kind of length is really getting up there. Microneedling isn't my area of expertise though, I'm just going on what I know that my friends and colleagues recommend.

The developments I was talking about are the likes of MatTek and Episkin. Hopefully with that technology we'll be able to be testing more new actives in the upcoming years. Other than that, there's not much I can talk about in terms of whats in development.

I wouldn't recommend just buying anything from a chemical supply company and hoping for the best. There's a reason that we have to adhere to a fuck load of regulations and study for however long to be able to formulate shit.

It's a combination of both of those things honestly. Mostly the latter.

I think that topical EGF is great, personally I've seen some really nice results with it. Do you mean tetrapeptide-21? If so, not much info on it as of yet, but its looking promising.

Skincare seems fine, if it's working for you, keep going with it. The main notes I'd make would be:
- The cleanser could be a bit harsh so watch out for it drying you out.
- Bare in mind that the Dalacin T gel is a topical antibiotic so don't use it for longer than you need to.
- If the aloe vera gel is enough hydration for you, keep going, but something with a bit more substance (especially on an evening) might not go amiss.

a) Depends on the kind of acne scar? Are they atrophic scars or just hyperpigmentation?
b) Not unless you want to. (Other than the SPF that you've already mentioned)
c) Wash your damn face. When do you go to the gym? You could just do your skincare routine as a whole then if its convenient.

a) They are hyperpigmentation.
c) I go to the gym usually at 5-7 PM.

Thanks for answer, appreciate it.

a) They are hyperpigmentation.
c) I go to the gym usually at 5-7 PM.

Thanks for answer, appreciate it.
- Try using some vitamin C on them, I'm not sure where you're based but if you're in the US and they're really stubborn, you might want to give some 2% hydroquinone a go in those areas.
- Just do your evening skincare routine after the gym.

• Love it
Reactions: Michael
how to close pores
:feelskek:

It’s rare having someone here which is an actual professional and not just some aspie which read a few studies and articles.

It’s rare having someone here which is an actual professional and not just some aspie which read a few studies and articles.
Glad I can be of some use

• +1
Reactions: |Daddy_Zygos| and Alexanderr
Should I get the gel or the cream version of tretinoin?

Last edited:
i can get razor burn from electric razors, what can i do to make my skin less sensitive so a light breeze won't make it red and sore

How do I get rid of red spots on my face

Should I get the gel or the cream version of tretinoin?
The gel tends to be easier to spread in my experience, but it's your call.

i can get razor burn from electric razors, what can i do to make my skin less sensitive so a light breeze won't make it red and sore
Make sure your moisture barrier is as good as it can be.

How do I get rid of red spots on my face
Depends on their cause. Acne? Post inflammatory erythema? Dermatitis? I'm gonna need more info bro.

• +1
Reactions: her
The gel tends to be easier to spread in my experience, but it's your call.

Make sure your moisture barrier is as good as it can be.

Depends on their cause. Acne? Post inflammatory erythema? Dermatitis? I'm gonna need more info bro.

Its basicly a red spot with a radius of about an inch with the middle being whiter and its dry and burns

Its basicly a red spot with a radius of about an inch with the middle being whiter and its dry and burns
See a doctor if you can.

See a doctor if you can.

I got something today and benzolperoxide or whatever its called also got vitamin C ill use it for a month and see if it goes away

I got something today and benzolperoxide or whatever its called also got vitamin C ill use it for a month and see if it goes away
You got those from a doctor?

Vitamin C from a store but the other 2 ones from pharmacy ye
Its called Ureum 10% or something like that
I wouldn't go in with the vitamin C until you've dealt with whatever this is. Go slowly with the benzoyl peroxide and urea, if you're already dealing with dryness and irritation, going hard with those two could make the situation worse.

I wouldn't go in with the vitamin C until you've dealt with whatever this is. Go slowly with the benzoyl peroxide and urea, if you're already dealing with dryness and irritation, going hard with those two could make the situation worse.

I made a pic of it but its hard to see cuz its night here

EF8D6661 B635 43D3 8BDE 8290F1DA60F8

The redness and the white dot are visible tho

I made a pic of it but its hard to see cuz its night here

View attachment 232910
The redness and the white dot are visible tho
When you went to the pharmacy is that what they recommended for you or did you pick it up yourself? Either way, I'd talk to a doctor if you can, I wouldn't have expected that benzoyl peroxide would be the best option for that.

When you went to the pharmacy is that what they recommended for you or did you pick it up yourself? Either way, I'd talk to a doctor if you can, I wouldn't have expected that benzoyl peroxide would be the best option for that.

Doctor advised it for acne, I think this started when I had acne there

Doctor advised it for acne, I think this started when I had acne there
Yeah that doesn't look like acne to me- I'd go more with dermatitis. Especially since its sore. When did the doctor prescribe it?

I want to know EVERYTHING

How to lighten upper lip , and eyelids
Also remove blemishes

looks more like an insect bite tbh

Its been here for months now
Just checked, got it around september
Whatever already had it in May

Last edited:
Got one last random question for you -- what's your opinion on red light therapy (and possibly near-infrared light therapy as well)?

Got one last random question for you -- what's your opinion on red light therapy (and possibly near-infrared light therapy as well)?
I like it. I dont know enough about it to know whether the at-home devices are any good, but I've had it done in clinic and seen good results.

• +1
Reactions: Seth Walsh
I like it. I dont know enough about it to know whether the at-home devices are any good, but I've had it done in clinic and seen good results.

I actually bought a combination red/near-infrared lamp a few months ago that I've been using most nights of the week. I wonder how dramatic the results are supposed to be. I can at least say that it started making my eyelids sore and start peeling, so I guess it's doing something.

@benignice I know you said supplements aren't really your expertise. But if a person were to take any to improve their skin, what would you recommend the "skincare supplement starter pack" be? PSL usually recommends vitamin C, MSM, zinc, niacin (recently), bioactive collagen peptides, etc. Are these even sufficient?

@benignice hey dude I had a rather unconvenient acne breakout and it has left quite a lot of hyperpigmentation scars on my cheeks (red spots)

-I recently got into a new skincare routine that actually was approved by you in pm so I think thats good enough but now some of my pimples and scars are so dry they're starting to peel out, is that a good sign or what?

-How can I shave without fucking my skin up?

-How long till it goes away? Like I said theyre brown-reddish spots.
Thanks in advance dude

@benignice hey dude I had a rather unconvenient acne breakout and it has left quite a lot of hyperpigmentation scars on my cheeks (red spots)

-I recently got into a new skincare routine that actually was approved by you in pm so I think thats good enough but now some of my pimples and scars are so dry they're starting to peel out, is that a good sign or what?

-How can I shave without fucking my skin up?

-How long till it goes away? Like I said theyre brown-reddish spots.
Thanks in advance dude
If they're so dry that they're peeling, you need some more moisture.
Use a good shave cream and a sharp razor. If you want to be particularly gentle, use an electric razor.
It's post inflammatory hyperpigmentation/erythema. The redness will likely go on its own in time. As for the darkness, vitamin C will help. How long it will take totally depends on your own body.

@benignice I know you said supplements aren't really your expertise. But if a person were to take any to improve their skin, what would you recommend the "skincare supplement starter pack" be? PSL usually recommends vitamin C, MSM, zinc, niacin (recently), bioactive collagen peptides, etc. Are these even sufficient?
Bare in mind with any supplement, your body isn't going to get hold of it and say to itself "oh okay, this needs to go to the skin specifically".
If you've got a half decent diet, you shouldn't need a vitamin C supplement, but if you want one, go ahead. I'm not into collagen supplements- just not convinced by them frankly. I like zinc, niacin and MSM. Some people can have issues with B6 and B12 flaring up acne so watch out for that one. I'm also a big fan of vitamin D supplements (but then again, I live in the UK so go figure).

Thank you so much, best user on this shitty site hands down. That being said I have some questions:
What do you think about topical ghk-Cu?
What do you think about the minoxidil-collagen controversy?
How can I prevent (as much as possible obviously) ingrown hairs after getting a clean shave?

Thank you so much, best user on this shitty site hands down. That being said I have some questions:
What do you think about topical ghk-Cu?
What do you think about the minoxidil-collagen controversy?
How can I prevent (as much as possible obviously) ingrown hairs after getting a clean shave?
No problem, glad I can be of use.
I like topical GHK-Cu. But please use a serum from an established brand, don't buy one off ebay.
I don't know enough about it to comment either way, honestly. Its something I'm planning on researching more- I'll get back to you once I know more.
Exfoliate. Both before you shave and in the days following (if there is days between shaves). Chemical exfoliation with an AHA is my preference.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Seth Walsh and Deleted member 4416