What's the point of companies designing custom implants?

NoPainNoChick

NoPainNoChick

Whatever it takes
For example, @RealSurgerymax owns a company that designs custom implants: https://www.instagram.com/unicorn.cmf
As far as I know, he usually does not perform the surgery himself. He just designs the implants.

Why would anyone need such service while preparing surgery with a maxillofacial surgeon?
I mean, let's suppose someone is planning jaw angle implants with Ramieri. Ramieri is used to design custom implants, right? Then, why would anyone need to ask for a third company to design the implant instead of letting Ramieri does it?
Does this type of business serve a different purpose? Is it intended for surgeons which are not doing custom implants usually (and using on-the-shelf implants)?

• +1
Reactions: Squirreljak, Oxygen and Artemis
Solution
RealSurgerymax
the medical doctor himself is supposed to design the implant.
don't buy implants from suspect companies.
You are wrong. The doctor never literally designs the implant themselves.

It’s always done by a design company.

For example Dr Eppley and Dr Yaremchuk have never literally designed an implant themselves, they just tell the company what they want on the computer. A company called 3D Systems designs it, and no, they are not good at designing extremely aesthetic implants:
9D06ED09 61F3 4B6A 9678 DCFD0E30B676

And Dr rameiri doesn’t literally design implants himself either it’s done by the Italian company 3Dific, and no, they are not good at designing extremely aesthetic implants:

E0A7FAC7 222C 4FE2 9674 67691BE0044F

3FC50ADE C1AC 4C14 9A02 FAAC30C8C4EF

So what is the purpose of my...

what surgeon is even gonna agree to letting an instagram page with 600 followers design an implant for a patient

• JFL
Reactions: boss8055
You get a design from 3rd party like @RealSurgerymax if you believe he can do a better job designing the implant than the surgeon.

• +1
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer and RealSurgerymax

For example Dr Eppley and Dr Yaremchuk have never literally designed an implant themselves, they just tell the company what they want on the computer. A company called 3D Systems designs it, and no, they are not good at designing extremely aesthetic implants:
9D06ED09 61F3 4B6A 9678 DCFD0E30B676

And Dr rameiri doesn’t literally design implants himself either it’s done by the Italian company 3Dific, and no, they are not good at designing extremely aesthetic implants:

E0A7FAC7 222C 4FE2 9674 67691BE0044F

3FC50ADE C1AC 4C14 9A02 FAAC30C8C4EF

So what is the purpose of my “company” ?
First of all I am not a big company I am just a student who will join the ranks with these surgeons. But the purpose is a much higher aesthetic standard and problem solving for people who want special/complicated plans like modified osteotomies and weird implants.

About 1/3 of my patients came to me for design because they already got bad looking implants installed by American or Italian surgeons and they want revision that actually turns out nice.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: boss8055, reptiles, garoupilled_ and 5 others
Solution
what surgeon is even gonna agree to letting an instagram page with 600 followers design an implant for a patient
It’s not about the instagram page it’s about the professional behind it and I have collaborated with Italian and American surgeons.

But respected surgeons like my instagram page :)

85CDF0B1 3B59 4F6F 8E4F DDA1F4988D50

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: garoupilled_, Oberyn and SOS-Sonic
@RealSurgerymax Whats your opinion on this as an alternative to PEEK implants? Is this the future or like a dead-end? I've seen this recently approved for bone grafting in Europe, but I'm not sure it'sas suitable for bone augmentation https://www.xilloc.com/ct-bone/

View attachment 2132767

View attachment 2132764

View attachment 2132765

First of all I am not a big company I am just a student who will join the ranks with these surgeons. But the purpose is a much higher aesthetic standard and problem solving for people who want special/complicated plans like modified osteotomies and weird implants.

About 1/3 of my patients came to me for design because they already got bad looking implants installed by American or Italian surgeons and they want revision that actually turns out nice.
We need some modified OBO surgeons!

View attachment 2132767

View attachment 2132764

View attachment 2132765

It’s not about the instagram page it’s about the professional behind it and I have collaborated with Italian and American surgeons.

But respected surgeons like my instagram page :)

View attachment 2132763
what computer programs or how exactly do you design them? I've searched about dentist CAD software before but they're extremely expensive to get licensed (at least where I live)

also where did you self-study and learn to do this service as a 3rd party freelancer?