Why Distraction Osteogenesis Not Suitable For Clavicles?

randomvanish

randomvanish

České srdce, otevřené všem!
Since at most majority of people need 2~4 inches total (e.g, 1inch each side), i don't understand why exactly doctors like Paley don't want to elongate shoulders?

Here this paragraph taken from Paley's website.
No clavicle for your face

applying to children & adolescents created satisfactory results, up to 41mm

We already know there is cosmetic sliding clavicle lengthening, which is a new technique done by a few people. Also sliding it make thinner bones, which is not even close to ideal.

If scapula already allowing laxity to grow a few inches, why they just don't apply the external monolateral fixator ffs? It would require only 3-4 months for wider bideltoid sizes.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 16220 and Deleted member 21863
@RealSurgerymax

i think its limited by soft tissue

• +1
Reactions: LightSkinNoob
Should I add this question when I email Paley about his hip reduction surgery? I'm guessing it has to do with the tissue stretching like LL, it's a bad idea after a point.

• Ugh..
Reactions: Michael Myers and FootballPlaya69
Should I add this question when I email Paley about his hip reduction surgery? I'm guessing it has to do with the tissue stretching like LL, it's a bad idea after a point.
look at this article, there is no way Paley will perform hip reduction on you without having life-altering issues, so don't even bother.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6494758/#:~:text=Coxa%20vara%20is%20a%20hip,is%20important%20to%20prevent%20recurrence.

"The osteotomy healed successfully without further incident after the bone grafting. Within the study period, there were no incidences of implant-related complications or infection. Significant improvement in the quality of life following the surgery was reported. Those patients who used wheel chair or axillary crutches before surgery were able to walk independently without a gait aid afterward."

look at this article, there is no way Paley will perform hip reduction on you without having life-altering issues, so don't even bother.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6494758/#:~:text=Coxa%20vara%20is%20a%20hip,is%20important%20to%20prevent%20recurrence.

"The osteotomy healed successfully without further incident after the bone grafting. Within the study period, there were no incidences of implant-related complications or infection. Significant improvement in the quality of life following the surgery was reported. Those patients who used wheel chair or axillary crutches before surgery were able to walk independently without a gait aid afterward."
Meh, there's not only one orthopedic surgeon, if you pay them they can do a lot. Still going to ask him.

@randomvanish but in terms of invasiveness, seems similarly invasive as hip replacement or so. TsarTsar who is an MD student wasn't that pessimistic about it
Logically this seems like it would do something bad with the balance of muscles that go and attach on the different parts of the femur, there are quite a few muscles that attach themselves on the lateral prominence of the femoral head, this would make them less stretched cause of less distance, and it could lead to pinching of the ischial nerve that goes throught the infrapiriformis on the posterior part of your leg, this is just a technical possibility though. But other then this the surgery doesn't seem like a bad idea, there are no big nerves or arteries that pass through the femoral head, they all go directly from the pelvic cavity to the front parts of the leg

Last edited:
  • Ugh..
Reactions: Michael Myers
Meh, there's not only on orthopedic surgeon, if you pay them they can do a lot. Still going to ask him.
ok, inform me too.

seems similarly invasive as hip replacement
bro wtf, that's is an incredibly invasive surgery anyway. invasive not only means having the risk of death, etc.
it also means long term possibilities can fuck you up.
you're changing a joint's geometry by making it smaller in a way. replacement is already needed in elderly ages, due to many variety of reasons. so fucking up with femur head might be a really really bad idea for long term.
not sure though. i just don't see so optimistic future about this deformity.

also i think clavicle lengthening still can be much, i mean much much more easier than having giant screws on your hips, bilaterally.

Because of the brachial plexus (you can lose access to your arm if something goes very wrong).

• +1
Reactions: Tallooksmaxxer
bro wtf, that's is an incredibly invasive surgery anyway. invasive not only means having the risk of death, etc.
it also means long term possibilities can fuck you up.
you're changing a joint's geometry by making it smaller in a way. replacement is already needed in elderly ages, due to many variety of reasons. so fucking up with femur head might be a really really bad idea for long term.
not sure though. i just don't see so optimistic future about this deformity.

also i think clavicle lengthening still can be much, i mean much much more easier than having giant screws on your hips, bilaterally.
What did you expect, to be a walk in the park? I still think LL with more than 6cm increase is more risky long term than that. A matter of priorities.

Coxa Vara surgery would slightly increase height by the way.

• Ugh..
Reactions: Michael Myers
Because of the brachial plexus (you can lose access to your arm if something goes very wrong).
Bpimage1watermarked

how can elongating the clavicle can block these nerves though?

Because you need to use brute force to push the clavicles out because there are tons of muscles resisting the lengthening. Source: just a hypothesis

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: randomvanish
Because you need to use brute force to push the clavicles out because there are tons of muscles resisting the lengthening.
ok, i just found

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 18879
You can’t afford it incel. Stay ugly or rope

• Ugh..
Reactions: Hipcel
Because you need to use brute force to push the clavicles out because there are tons of muscles resisting the lengthening. Source: just a hypothesis
Seems to be very accurate, if you go to Eppleys IG and read the comments on the guy who did shoulder lengthening, he basically had to stop working out his upper body for 4 months prior to surgery as well as rigorous stretching to loosen that area up.