Women hate chicken calves. Here's how to fix them

Hipcel

Hipcel

Booze is my fuel
By calves I actually mean lower legs; since that's the part that is mostly visible during the summer. Women notice if a guy has skinny legs and comment on it, finding weird/funny looking men with big upper bodies and toothpick legs.

I'm not talking about fixing genetic abominations with insanely high insertions. It's over for them.

If you have those, there's nothing you can do besides calf implants which only bodybuilders do or LL and go for the tibia distraction osteogenesis option, so that you get the muscle lengthened + the muscle hypertrophy that a lot of former chicken legged patients notice afterwards but that's a big if because of the bone breaking point.
4d43f2aa07311e2f1f9cd1aafc6ce836.jpg

jones-legs-660x400.jpg

Black guys in general are more likely to have high insertions, but with those you can still build muscle, like Mike Tython
tyson.jpg

The 2 biggest factors determining your maximum size potential are:

a) bone (ankle) circumference
b) insertion points

wKopO8V.jpeg

Now, it's not binary, there's more variation, but gymrats generally classify them as high insertion vs low insertion calves. Low insertion ->easier to put on mass vs high insertion. A high insertion means the muscle belly is shorter; a low insertion means longer.

High calves insertions are an advantage for sprint runners, because it means a higher proportion of the Achilles tendon is calf muscle, tendon is stiffer than muscle which leads to a better power transfer at high speeds.

People with bigger frames, i.e. thicker bones, tendons and joints, etc, will have an easier time putting on muscle, there's has been research on this + countless anecdotal examples, and so on. Wristcels and anklecels will have a harder time putting on muscle, and chicken legs/forearms are a good indicator of someone's frame.

There are other less significant factors determining genetic potential like fast twitch to slow twitch type of muscle fibers ratio (the higher the bigger the size), androgen receptor density, etc, which I won't get into.

Fixing Part

General advice. Do FREE WEIGHTS LIFTING, avoid machines. Machines' use should be supplementary or if you're old/injured. Free weights are superior, forcing you to use stabilizer muscles both for y axis and z axis rotational balance + do more work vs tension force machines without you resting at the end of each rep range. So stop coping with machines.

a) Standing calf raises (mainly target the gastrocnemius muscle)
180px-Gastrocnemius_muscle_-_animation.gif

b) A muscle that almost nobody trains unless they're a pro, very knowledgeable or fatarses walking on hills.
375px-Tibialis.png
375px-Tibialis_anterior_muscle_-_animation.gif
main-qimg-6ef589e2f584adea6839ff48e9390fe2-lq

Usage: inverts foot, your lower leg will look fuller and better proportioned from the front-side if you train this, not to mention working out only soleus and gastro will eventually lead to muscle imbalances and you definitely want to avoid it.

How to train it? Again some gyms might have a machine for it, but check the second one with the dumbbell for max effectiveness (free weight)

c) Tibialis anterior seated kettlebells, again free weights MOG MACHINES.
images

d) Seated calf raises, target mainly the soleus muscle + the gastro (there are machines, but prefer free weights). I personally use a more weight than expected either with dumbbells or barbell plates
180px-Soleus_muscle_-_animation.gif
Seated-Calf-Raise-scaled.jpg

e) Donkey calf raises

f) Finally, a weighted vest coupled with uphill walking might help too. There are small muscles involved inside the lower leg that a specific standing calf raise machine once a week won't improve. Notice how usually active fat people are closer to their genetic potential, because of all that weight carrying around over the course of multiple years.

You don't have to do all of these to improve calves. Just focus on free weights hitting gastro, soleus and tibialis anterior twice a week, so 3 exercises, 3 x 10-15 reps with weight enough to cause failure after 10 something.

And don't confuse calf size with muscle size. A lot of what you see is fat and underskin layer fat. How many people have veiny calves as opposed to biceps? Few. At first your lower leg will harden, become stronger, then the muscles will become more defined/sharp looking and then the veins will pop out.

Same pattern on roidheads, mainly strength and vascularity, remember larger muscles are a side effect of strength. Mike Tython's calves will be stronger than a former fat nerd with even huge low insertion ones.

Fewer androgen receptors down there that's why they grow the least compared to traps and chest, shoulders, etc, that explode.

@Alexanderr @Lorsss @agoostis @MANLETprettyBOY @Danish_Retard @valhalar @Wallenberg @Entschuldigung @court monarch777 @ifyouwannabemylover @Gargantuan @AlexAP @Mike141 @Zenturio @kalefartbomb @R@m@ @Curlbrahhh @UltimateMan @germanlooks @Jazerk @Niko @Agendum @Germania @fvolkek @tyronelite @turbocuckcel_7000000 @wristcel @TITUS @animo123 @RoundHouse @DEFAULT @Uglybrazilian @thecaste @Warlow @ProAcktiv @SPFromNY914 @Growth Plate @itorroella9 @TsarTsar444 @Broski @GypsyEyes @6ft4 @thegoat @Htobrother @Alban @RoundHouse @nelson @Ada Mustang @OldRooster @MoeZart @EverythingMattersCel @TrestIsBest @Stopping@Nothing19

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
  • Ugh..
Reactions: Elvisandreaa, Corleone, Kroker and 30 others
Good thread, i started training calves today ahead of summer

• +1
  • JFL
  • Woah
Reactions: SPFromNY914, TITUS, Lygodactylus and 1 other person
Just get fat and stay that way for a few years then lose weight = god-tier calves achieved

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Bitchwhipper2, vaninskybird, kuroganeikki and 4 others
Johnny drama wrote this thread

• JFL
Reactions: Hipcel
How do I know if I have

Johnny drama wrote this thread
14' calves. But hey, at least they're veiny and I run fast!!
@Zenturio check out where the bulky part ends, if it's high, high insertion if low, low insertion.

• Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 2729
Having high calf insertions is one of the worst subhuman traits :feelswhy:

My dad has the opposite from just working construction in his younger days

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Agendum and Prettyboy
legit thred, botb or pin worthy atleast

• Love it
I do have chicken legs but I'm skinny overall too so idk if I'll have them even if i trained

good thread . my calves developed playing football and hill climbing

Black guys in general are more likely to have high insertions, but with those you can still build muscle, like Mike Tython
51759d e5bfb5a264524868ba4b397253176a39 mv2

• JFL
Reactions: Tallooksmaxxer, Slob and TITUS
Now, it's not binary, there's more variation, but gymrats generally classify them as high insertion vs low insertion calves. Low insertion ->easier to put on mass vs high insertion. A high insertion means the muscle belly is shorter; a low insertion means longer.

High calves insertions are an advantage for sprint runners, because it means a higher proportion of the Achilles tendon is calf muscle, tendon is stiffer than muscle which leads to a better power transfer at high speeds.

People with bigger frames, i.e. thicker bones, tendons and joints, etc, will have an easier time putting on muscle, there's has been research on this + countless anecdotal examples, and so on. Wristcels and anklecels will have a harder time putting on muscle, and chicken legs/forearms are a good indicator of someone's frame.

There are other less significant factors determining genetic potential like fast twitch to slow twitch type of muscle fibers ratio (the higher the bigger the size), androgen receptor density, etc, which I won't get into.
This is why I gave up on obsessive gymcelling an switched to sprinting
I have high calf insertions and tiny ankle circumference
A girl I knew used to point out how thin my calves were compared to my upper leg which was well developed from gymcelling
When I went to the gym last year while it was busy, I would wear shorts to the gym to compare my calves to other guys in the mirrors and nobodies calf proportions came close to mine in terms of length v girth. I am legit slenderman tier

Is there any way to tell if your muscles are slow twitch or fast twitch?
I think there is some test you can do but if my results came back slow twitch it would ruin my motivation to sprint so I'd rather stay ignorant to it and think of ways to conclude I'm fast twitch

Also, upon seeing the images of Jon Jones and Deontay Wilder, it seems like long thin bones can transmit more force when accompanied with muscle than thicker bones because the bone isn't the thing causing any power it's just acting like a rod

Last edited:
14' calves. But hey, at least they're veiny and I run fast!!
@Zenturio check out where the bulky part ends, if it's high, high insertion if low, low insertion.
bulky parts ends where? near the knee? or near the ankle?

It's a good guide on how to grow your calves and all that but I still think that calves/lower legs, in general, are mostly gymcel obsessions and not something that females actively care about.

Having poor/small glutes, on the other hand, is something that is almost always going to look more comical and some females do definitely care about them.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: klamus, currylightskin, Danish_Retard and 4 others
I have big calves but shitty wrist which means it's over for me, calves are at worst just a small failo.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 21531 and currylightskin

Isn't it the other way around? I always thought calves with low insertions look bad, less athletic than high inserted ones

• +1
Reactions: tyronelite
Isn't it the other way around? I always thought calves with low insertions look bad, less athletic than high inserted ones
No the higher the calf’s the less aesthetic

The lower (more to fill) the more aesthetic

One of the muscles I’m working on

• +1
Reactions: Prettyboy
if you want big calves you need to figure out how to thicken the ankles

you will never see a seasoned construction worker with thin ankles(and calves) or wrists(forearms)

besides a bone growth nutrient stack + bodybuilding we need to find a way to stress the ankle bone often

No the higher the calf’s the less aesthetic

The lower (more to fill) the more aesthetic

One of the muscles I’m working on
View attachment 1691773
Fair enough, I'm biased because I do athletics so I view high calves in a favorable light but yeah, I guess for aesthetics having more room to fill with muscle is better

• +1
Reactions: tyronelite
Never had a problem with calves, I have really big legs genetically with thick anclkles. Best genetics in the most useless part of body in terms of aestetics, shit tier biceps and chest insertions :lul::lul:

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 2729
In my gym there is a nigerian lanklet with microcalves, the rare condition you mentioned

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: currylightskin, Deleted member 2729 and Hipcel
I just did calf raises holding my gf last night lol, used her for curls too, then made her push against my arms so I could do tricep push downs

one leg skips, jumping rope, running, will contribute too.

A girl shower me a dude on tiktok and she said his body looked weird cuz his arms were so much bigger from the side than his legs cuz he had no hamstrings

I have big quads/thick thighs and glutes yet chicken calves due to having high calf insertions.

I just wear 5 inch shorts and fitted joggers so normies know I don't have full blown chicken legs.

COPE

• Ugh..
I just did calf raises holding my gf last night lol, used her for curls too, then made her push against my arms so I could do tricep push downs
sub optimal for gains

The problem with training calves directly is that it is a lot of work for little gain. Putting a lot of size on your calves is extremely hard or even impossible if you have bad insertions.

One thing I will mention is that leg curls do hit the gastrocnemius, which is the part of the calves that has the most growth potential, so if you want to do a more "useful" exercise (in terms of strength and overall physique gains) that still hits the calves, that is a good idea.

High set calf insertions mean genetic and athletic superiority. It's an androgenic trait and is able to store and release more force in the legs.

Most top tier sprinters and fast athletes possess this trait.

• Love it
Reactions: 6ft4 and tyronelite
One thing I will mention is that leg curls do hit the gastrocnemius, which is the part of the calves that has the most growth potential, so if you want to do a more "useful" exercise (in terms of strength and overall physique gains) that still hits the calves, that is a good idea.
Dorsiflex while doing them if you want to get the gastrocnemius involved.

I've noticed improvement even with shitty calf genetics, I think training them is worth it tbh. Focus on free weights as opposed to machines is the important part imo.

I don't even work out calves and they are 15 inches. They grew 1.5 inches this year alone without working them out

• Woah
Reactions: Broski
Literally no woman has ever given a squirt of shit about your calves

Even if she’s a roided lesbian in denial freak of nature herself, it’s still a low chance MAYBE that she’ll care about your calves

You’re the roided milhouse meme come to life

• +1
Reactions: Tallooksmaxxer, alriodai, Deleted member 19478 and 3 others
It's a good guide on how to grow your calves and all that but I still think that calves/lower legs, in general, are mostly gymcel obsessions and not something that females actively care about.

Having poor/small glutes, on the other hand, is something that is almost always going to look more comical and some females do definitely care about them.
cope tbh

• +1

Even if she’s a roided lesbian in denial freak of nature herself, it’s still a low chance MAYBE that she’ll care about your calves

Walk around with 13' and see what happens. You must be a former fatgot

• +1
Reactions: germanlooks
Calves should be proportional to biceps and neck. In oldschool bodybuilding there was a belief that all 3 should be about the same measurement. Becoming disproportionate due to only doing bench and curls is a large reason why many gymcels look "off". Gymcels focus all their effort into a tiny aspect of strength and fitness and this is reflected in their appearance which looks unnatural. Better to spread efforts to other activities like calisthenics, sports, and hiking to develop calves and other smaller muscles.

Me with 15 inch neck and 13.25 calf and 13.5 inch arms :feelswhy:

they definitely do notice it if you have chicken calves. Especially if you have long legs with big feet it looks really bad. It’s obv not a dealbreaker or as important as wide shoulders but during summer walking around with shorts is suifuel if you have thin calves

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard, Hipcel and alriodai
@Hipcel do you think it would be a good idea to wear a weighted vest during your daily life?
Like if I go for a 30min-1h walk everyday and wear a 20kg vest it should have a similar effect as being fat.

• +1
NIggas worried about calves while there's a skinny ass pretty boy fucking your oneitis as we type

@Hipcel do you think it would be a good idea to wear a weighted vest during your daily life?
Like if I go for a 30min-1h walk everyday and wear a 20kg vest it should have a similar effect as being fat.
Yeah if you walk 30 mins a day, 2/3x a week with a weighted vest incline treadmill or better yet outside while going to the gym or walking out 30 mins to get sunlight. 15-25kg to simulate fatgot level of weight. It will also strenghten your core and upper leg muscles.

@Zenturio this is how, high insertion vs low
1653168528730-png.1691773

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: germanlooks

Go heavy and do as many reps & sets as you can :fire:.

High set calf insertions mean genetic and athletic superiority. It's an androgenic trait and is able to store and release more force in the legs.

Most top tier sprinters and fast athletes possess this trait.
It's the glutes that affect speed and power.

"long levers, excellent hip insertions (generate crazy torque), and insertions of the 3 glute muscles that are top 0.1% meaning there is very little energy lost in the kinetic chain when he pushes off the ground with those skinny legs to generate power." That is what someone answered me when I asked why deontay wilder hits extremely hard despite his super petite bones.

He's a good example of the wristpill, look at all his hand injuries.

It's the glutes that affect speed and power.

"long levers, excellent hip insertions (generate crazy torque), and insertions of the 3 glute muscles that are top 0.1% meaning there is very little energy lost in the kinetic chain when he pushes off the ground with those skinny legs to generate power." That is what someone answered me when I asked why deontay wilder hits extremely hard despite his super petite bones.

He's a good example of the wristpill, look at all his hand injuries.
It's both tbh. High calves insertions, and upper leg power (squat/bodyweight ratio), + femurs high on fast twitch fibers West Africans (that includes Usain) sprinters vs high on low twitch fibers East African marathon runners @6ft4.

• +1
Reactions: 6ft4
By calves I actually mean lower legs; since that's the part that is mostly visible during the summer. Women notice if a guy has skinny legs and comment on it, finding weird/funny looking men with big upper bodies and toothpick legs.

I'm not talking about fixing genetic abominations with insanely high insertions. It's over for them.

If you have those, there's nothing you can do besides calf implants which only bodybuilders do or LL and go for the tibia distraction osteogenesis option, so that you get the muscle lengthened + the muscle hypertrophy that a lot of former chicken legged patients notice afterwards but that's a big if because of the bone breaking point.
4d43f2aa07311e2f1f9cd1aafc6ce836.jpg

jones-legs-660x400.jpg

tyson.jpg

The 2 biggest factors determining your maximum size potential are:

a) bone (ankle) circumference
b) insertion points

wKopO8V.jpeg

Fixing Part

General advice. Do FREE WEIGHTS LIFTING, avoid machines. Machines' use should be supplementary or if you're old/injured. Free weights are superior, forcing you to use stabilizer muscles both for y axis and z axis rotational balance + do more work vs tension force machines without you resting at the end of each rep range. So stop coping with machines.

a) Standing calf raises (mainly target the gastrocnemius muscle)
180px-Gastrocnemius_muscle_-_animation.gif

b) A muscle that almost nobody trains unless they're a pro, very knowledgeable or fatarses walking on hills.
375px-Tibialis.png
375px-Tibialis_anterior_muscle_-_animation.gif
main-qimg-6ef589e2f584adea6839ff48e9390fe2-lq

Usage: inverts foot, your lower leg will look fuller and better proportioned from the front-side if you train this, not to mention working out only soleus and gastro will eventually lead to muscle imbalances and you definitely want to avoid it.

How to train it? Again some gyms might have a machine for it, but check the second one with the dumbbell for max effectiveness (free weight)

c) Tibialis anterior seated kettlebells, again free weights MOG MACHINES.
images

d) Seated calf raises, target mainly the soleus muscle + the gastro (there are machines, but prefer free weights). I personally use a more weight than expected either with dumbbells or barbell plates
180px-Soleus_muscle_-_animation.gif
Seated-Calf-Raise-scaled.jpg

e) Donkey calf raises

f) Finally, a weighted vest coupled with uphill walking might help too. There are small muscles involved inside the lower leg that a specific standing calf raise machine once a week won't improve. Notice how usually active fat people are closer to their genetic potential, because of all that weight carrying around over the course of multiple years.

You don't have to do all of these to improve calves. Just focus on free weights hitting gastro, soleus and tibialis anterior twice a week, so 3 exercises, 3 x 10-15 reps with weight enough to cause failure after 10 something.

And don't confuse calf size with muscle size. A lot of what you see is fat and underskin layer fat. How many people have veiny calves as opposed to biceps? Few. At first your lower leg will harden, become stronger, then the muscles will become more defined/sharp looking and then the veins will pop out.

Same pattern on roidheads, mainly strength and vascularity, remember larger muscles are a side effect of strength. Mike Tython's calves will be stronger than a former fat nerd with even huge low insertion ones.

Fewer androgen receptors down there that's why they grow the least compared to traps and chest, shoulders, etc, that explode.

@Alexanderr @Lorsss @agoostis @MANLETprettyBOY @Danish_Retard @valhalar @Wallenberg @Entschuldigung @court monarch777 @ifyouwannabemylover @Gargantuan @AlexAP @Mike141 @Zenturio @kalefartbomb @R@m@ @Curlbrahhh @UltimateMan @germanlooks @Jazerk @Niko @Agendum @Germania @fvolkek @tyronelite @turbocuckcel_7000000 @wristcel @TITUS @animo123 @RoundHouse @DEFAULT @Uglybrazilian @thecaste @Warlow @ProAcktiv @SPFromNY914 @Growth Plate @itorroella9 @TsarTsar444 @Broski @GypsyEyes @6ft4 @thegoat @Htobrother @Alban @RoundHouse @nelson @Ada Mustang @OldRooster @MoeZart @EverythingMattersCel @TrestIsBest @Stopping@Nothing19

wait so LL makes your leg muscles bigger and better? could you elaborate further on that?

Wait seated and standing calf raises Are different? Ive trained seated because its easier to setup

wait so LL makes your leg muscles bigger and better? could you elaborate further on that?
There are many cases mentioned at the LL forum of chicken calved patients getting hypertrophy after they were done with the procedure, including the moderator's Medium Drink of Water.

It's a side effect of increased blood supply over the extended period of time when the bone was growing. I'm guessing it could happen to an extent if you did mandible distraction osteogenesis. Here's one of the top LL surgeons worldwide mentioning the phenomenon.

@klamus Seated are more soleus heavy

„Calves don’t matter bro“

• +1
„Calves don’t matter bro“

There was a YT video with hundeards of thousands views that unfortunately couldn't find where a guy was asking women what they think about gym rats with chicken calves, showing them photos of them, and you clearly see their reactions were brutal.

I would have included at the beginning of my post, chicken calves = serious looksmin

@Gargantuan @loksr @5'8manlet @alriodai @NapalmFlare

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: 5'8manlet, Gargantuan and germanlooks