You're still not finished once you've had jaw surgery.

Fear

Fear

Anatomy is Destiny
I had LeFort I + BSSO many years ago for a moderate-to-severe Class III underbite (recessed maxilla, protruding mandible.)
While it did improve a lot about my face, I realized almost immediately after I healed that it was only the first step in a long journey.

With the benefit of hindsight, this, of course, makes sense.
The maxilla is the keystone of your face — the centerpiece.
And if the centerpiece developed incorrectly, even if you fix it, imagine how messed up everything based on it must be.

I'm therefore writing this guide to identify common procedures and surgeries that will typically be necessitated by jaw surgery.
I hope to dispel any illusions that jaw surgery will fix all your problems, spare others the same disappointment I experienced, and prepare anyone considering it for the long haul they're likely in for.

The procedures are listed from least to most involved.

1. Orthodontics

This may be obvious to some, but you will need braces before, during, and/or after jaw surgery.​
Your teeth, 28 independent bones that have formed to accommodate a lifetime of malocclusion, will not magically come together without them.​
I mention this because there are surgeons who will examine your bite and promise you can skip orthodontics.​
Don't believe them.​
I would recommend lingual braces over traditional ones.​
They are of course preferable for vanity's sake, but beyond that, some brands of lingual can even work faster.​

2. Infraorbital fat transfer/implants

Contrary to the commonly peddled narrative, maxillary advancement via LeFort I will not fix dark circles or hollow infraorbitals.​
Because you are advancing the upper jaw, the already-lacking subcutaneous support below the eyes is distributed further, i.e., becomes less compacted.​
The net result is to quite possibly make dark circles even worse.​
Fat transfer to the area and/or infraorbital implants are the only solution.​
Both have their advantages and probably work best when combined.​
As with any plastic surgery, go to someone who specializes in fat transfers/eye area implants.​

3. Lip lift

If you grew up with a deficient maxilla, your upper lip likely did not form correctly either.​
Once your maxilla is advanced with jaw surgery, an upper lip lift may very well be in order.​
You'll know for sure if, at rest, your vermilion border is still not very visible, or when talking, your teeth are still not very visible.​
In my case, a lift excising almost 6 mm of skin was necessary.​
Again, go to someone who specializes in lip lifts and has a demonstrated portfolio of scar-less results.​

4A. Septoplasty

This will be necessary if your jaws are rotated laterally or medially to align the midline of your teeth with the midline of your face.​
Any such rotation of the maxilla, which forms the base of your nose, will end up deviating your nasal septum as well.​
If not fixed, this can cause serious breathing issues, and we all know the importance of nasal breathing.​

4B. Turbinoplasty/turbinectomy

A deficient maxilla can cause the nose to droop downward as it grows.​
This can impact the development of the nasal turbines, which are central to nasal breathing.​
Parts or the entirety of your turbines may need to be removed if your nasal breathing has not improved after jaw surgery.​

4C. Rhinoplasty

Again, a deficient maxilla can cause the nose to droop downward as it grows.​
Once you have jaw surgery, however, your nose should at least stand more erect, but several aesthetic problems may remain.​
These include a bulbous tip, an especially long nose, and structural collapse, all of which are correlated with a lack of maxillary support.​
Jaw surgery will not improve any of these flaws, and in fact will likely only serve to accentuate them.​

This list is not exhaustive, but describes what I experienced and what I've noticed in studying other jaw surgery cases.
The really important thing to remember, and think about, is that at the end of the day, you're shifting around two-thirds of your face.
So on top of what I've mentioned here, prepare to expect the unexpected.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 12472, .👽., Obey and 8 others
What did your jaw look like before surgery? Average or clinically recessed?

Don’t get it, only if you REALLY need it, it’s a lot of money spent and a lot of problems after it
Btw @Slyfex8 check this out

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 10172, .👽., AutismMaxing and 2 others
“I had LeFort I + BSSO many years ago for a moderate-to-severe Class III underbite (recessed maxilla, protruding mandible.)
While it did improve a lot about my face, I realized almost immediately after I healed that it was only the first step in a long journey”

Holy shit, this actually describes me perfectly. Every single word. I was a moderate class III case before having LeFort I + BSSO over 7 years ago. I had a septoplasty too, although my nose-breathing issues still persist.

Aesthetically speaking though, I am MUCH better off than before, and really the only flaw I am concerned with at this point is my hollow & flat malar/infraorbital area. Have you had anything done for that yet? I think implants are great aesthetically but the long term potential side effects scare me. I am also wondering if I could undergo MSE at this point (the breathing improvement is really all I want from it.) I am still relatively young, in my 20s currently. Any thoughts on whether or not I could undergo MSE now even though I’ve already done bimax? I’ve had all of the plates and screws removed years ago so there is no foreign material in my face. I need to schedule a consultation with a provider.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 10172
Would HA fillers work as well, for more volume in periorbital area?

So jaw surgery can twist your maxilla? I already have a deviated septum. What would it mean for me?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 10172