Bimax vs genio + jaw implants

hansmoleman

hansmoleman

Gold
Hi, I have consulted two orthofacial surgeons, and they gave contradictory advice. For context, this is my starting situation:
- Perfect bite.
- Small chin.
- Small jaw.
- Bad gonial angle, bad jawline.
- Technically not exactly recessed, although could definitely benefit from advancement (jaw aligned with lips, but recessed wrt nose tip).
- No sleep apnea.

Surgeon 1:
- Offers two options: bimax and genio + custom jaw implants (peek).
- Says he doesn't do chin implants because the probability of re-absorption is not negligible (as opposed to in the case of jaw implants, he says in that case it's virtually impossible).
- Bimax it's more expensive, more invasive, would require 6 months of orthodontics after the surgery (not before because my bite is already fine).
- He advises bimax because he believes it's better in the very long term.
- He also offers genio + custom jaw implants (peek) because he believes it's also a good option. He refuses doing chin implants due to re-absorption risk.

Surgeon 2:
- Offers two options: genio + custom jaw implants (peek) and custom chin and jaw implants (peek).
- Says bimax is not advisable at all in my case and refuses doing it, because:
* Perfect bite.
* Not recessed.
* Functionally not needed (no sleep apnea).
* Aesthetically would worsen by aspect: he says a bimax would give me a monkey-like aspect, with both upper and lower bites being too advanced (while aligned). He even sketched a toy simulation modifying my picture with some program (for a better simulation he says he would need scan etc) and the result was quite bad indeed.
- Says chin implant reabsorption is not possible because the chin implant would also be attached to the jaw implants. He showed me one case of reabsortion, and he showed how in that case there were no jaw implants attached to the chin implant.
- Thus, he advises custom chin and jaw implants. He would also do genio + custom jaw implants because he believes it's also a good option. However, he advises chin implant instead of genioplasty because my chin is small, and thus a genioplasty would improve my side profile but not the front one.

I'm quite shocked to see the massive discrepancy:
- Bimax being the best option vs not being a sensible option at all! And not because of price or the surgery being invasive, but because the aesthetic results would be bad!
- Chin implants being a dangerous option vs chin implants being perfectly safe and preferred over genioplasty.

The only consensus seems to be that genio + custom jaw implants (peek) would be the second best option for both doctors, so currently I'm more inclined to this one (idk with which of the two doctors, price would be similar).

In a few months I'n seeing a third surgeon. For the moment, I'd prefer not to upload photos and not to give surgeon names. Might do at some point in the future. I'll be updating this thread with more info whenever I have it.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15854
do you want us to imagine your face and give you a recommendation about it?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: redroses, caiolindo, nayb and 6 others
dont skip bimax if you legit need it

do you want us to imagine your face and give you a recommendation about it?

I'm essentially looking for advice in case doctors give massively contradictory advise, especially in the case of bimax.

For reference, the third surgeon I'm seeing is Alfaro.

How do I know if I need it if one surgeon advises for it and the other refuses because it would be a very bad result?
well i assume you probably dont need it then.

you can post your side profile here.

or you can consult to professionals like @RealSurgerymax

• +1
Reactions: Oberyn
well i assume you probably dont need it then.

you can ask for rating here or from pms.

or you can consult to professionals like @RealSurgerymax

Can I send you pics?

From the information you’ve given, the second option (custom chin+jaw implants) seems best.

From the information you’ve given, the second option (custom chin+jaw implants) seems best.
The first surgeon refuses to do custom chin implants because of non-negligible re-absorption risk though. The only option that both surgeons agree on is genio + jaw implants

The first surgeon refuses to do custom chin implants because of non-negligible re-absorption risk though. The only option that both surgeons agree on is genio + jaw implants
Get a third opinion if possible

How do I know if I need it if one surgeon advises for it and the other refuses because it would be a very bad result?
are your teeth straight? do you have a class 1 bite? if yes to both, you could cause aesthetic damage by getting bimax and should not pursue it

• +1
Reactions: Weed
are your teeth straight? do you have a class 1 bite? if yes to both, you could cause aesthetic damage by getting bimax and should not pursue it

Yes to both. That's why Surgeon1 said that if pursue bimax, I should not get orthodontics before the surgery, but after, and not to modify my bite but to keep the original one and correct for potential deviations to the original one from the bimax.

Last edited:
Hi, I have consulted two orthofacial surgeons, and they gave contradictory advice. For context, this is my starting situation:
- Perfect bite.
- Small chin.
- Small jaw.
- Bad gonial angle, bad jawline.
- Technically not exactly recessed, although could definitely benefit from advancement (jaw aligned with lips, but recessed wrt nose tip).
- No sleep apnea.

Surgeon 1:
- Offers two options: bimax and genio + custom jaw implants (peek).
- Says he doesn't do chin implants because the probability of re-absorption is not negligible (as opposed to in the case of jaw implants, he says in that case it's virtually impossible).
- Bimax it's more expensive, more invasive, would require 6 months of orthodontics after the surgery (not before because my bite is already fine).
- He advises bimax because he believes it's better in the very long term.
- He also offers genio + custom jaw implants (peek) because he believes it's also a good option. He refuses doing chin implants due to re-absorption risk.

Surgeon 2:
- Offers two options: genio + custom jaw implants (peek) and custom chin and jaw implants (peek).
- Says bimax is not advisable at all in my case and refuses doing it, because:
* Perfect bite.
* Not recessed.
* Functionally not needed (no sleep apnea).
* Aesthetically would worsen by aspect: he says a bimax would give me a monkey-like aspect, with both upper and lower bites being too advanced (while aligned). He even sketched a toy simulation modifying my picture with some program (for a better simulation he says he would need scan etc) and the result was quite bad indeed.
- Says chin implant reabsorption is not possible because the chin implant would also be attached to the jaw implants. He showed me one case of reabsortion, and he showed how in that case there were no jaw implants attached to the chin implant.
- Thus, he advises custom chin and jaw implants. He would also do genio + custom jaw implants because he believes it's also a good option. However, he advises chin implant instead of genioplasty because my chin is small, and thus a genioplasty would improve my side profile but not the front one.

I'm quite shocked to see the massive discrepancy:
- Bimax being the best option vs not being a sensible option at all! And not because of price or the surgery being invasive, but because the aesthetic results would be bad!
- Chin implants being a dangerous option vs chin implants being perfectly safe and preferred over genioplasty.

The only consensus seems to be that genio + custom jaw implants (peek) would be the second best option for both doctors, so currently I'm more inclined to this one (idk with which of the two doctors, price would be similar).

In a few months I'n seeing a third surgeon. For the moment, I'd prefer not to upload photos and not to give surgeon names. Might do at some point in the future. I'll be updating this thread with more info whenever I have it.
Sounds like one of them is Dr Defranq. I Would personally not opt for the bimax since you risk losing your perfect bite...
That aside, I do concur that a good genioplasty wins from a chin implant.

Sounds like one of them is Dr Defranq. I Would personally not opt for the bimax since you risk losing your perfect bite...
That aside, I do concur that a good genioplasty wins from a chin implant.
Which one? Surgeon1 or Surgeon2?

Regarding genio vs chin implant, would you still opt for genio if the chin was small apart from slightly recessed?

Opt 2 sounds like the “safer” choice that could still get you the results you want. Did they show you projections of what your profile would look like after surgery? The software they use these days (Dolphin) allows it. If so take those into account. FWIW, I was originally supposed to get BSSO, did braces and everything, but ended up getting genio and I like my results. Of course cases vary though.

Which one? Surgeon1 or Surgeon2?

Regarding genio vs chin implant, would you still opt for genio if the chin was small apart from slightly recessed?
Depending on the experience of the surgeon my preference would still be the genio because it doesn’t require ‘foreign’ material - except from some titanium. Chin implant or wrap can also be a good solution ofc. What do you think about the risk of masseter (muscle) disinsertion on these gonial implants..? Did you take this in mind?

what if he has a overbite

The main thing bimax does that implants dont is change your maxilla, so if your maxilla is recessed (or would benefit aesthetically from advancement) then jaw implants wont solve that

Also if you have bad asymmetry, bimax can correct it

Most other things from what I can tell (not an expert), implants can achieve the same if not more than bimax can

Hey, I haven't seen Alfaro yet. Will update when I have more information.

UPDATE: I've been seen by Alfaro. He says I'm borderline recessed/not recessed depending on how purist you are, says I don't need it functionally but that aesthetically I would benefit from it. Change of plans, I'm going for bimax.

UPDATE: I've been seen by Alfaro. He says I'm borderline recessed/not recessed depending on how purist you are, says I don't need it functionally but that aesthetically I would benefit from it. Change of plans, I'm going for bimax.
Did he give an estimate of how much it will cost you? I'm considering Alfaro/Ramieri.