Brief explanation of Autophagy

X

x30001

Kraken
Never really explained what it is so here's a brief explanation of why it's important.

Q:

Few questions. Would appreciate if you could answer :D

"Achieve Macro Autophagy of the brain"
"Activate Selective Autophagy via ULK1"
How would we benefit from these?

"Activate the NRF2 Pathway"
what does this pathway do?

It's some complicated stuff

A:

Autophagy means "Self Eating". It's basically a process where your body stops focusing on growth and proliferation and instead focuses on "cleaning up". Clearing misfolded proteins, senescent cells, healing wounds. For example, microneedling is a form of autophagy selective to the skin; because you're provoking a response that heals, and fixes small problems.

Caloric restriction is the broad way of entering autophagy. And autophagy can take place in brain cells too, making you think clearer and feel better. That's why a lot of people feel more focused and in a better mood during a fast. With more energy and attention span when working on trivial things.

ULK1 is just 1 of the autophagic pathways which is activated once you starve yourself of amino acids. There's nothing too special about ULK1, but it has benefits like upregulating nutrient sensing etc.

NRF2 is activated during calorie restriction and can be activated in varying degrees; ie: you can get into deeper autophagy and activate NRF2 to a greater or lesser extent, based on how long you fast for.

NRF2 is like one of our survival pathways. When it's activated, your body releases a whole host of anti-inflammatory cytokines. And unlike exogenous anti-oxidants, these endogenous cytokines released via NRF2 are much more potent and practical in terms of cleaning up wounds and corrupted cells; since your body released these specific cytokines itself, to deal with the internal problems at hand. Any normal anti-oxidant pill has a set range of anti-oxidant properties, which won't be totally specific to deal with the oxidative stress that your body needs to handle at any given time.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: AscendingHero, Deleted member 11479, Deleted member 5875 and 14 others
Like this post, and agree with this, autophagy is really good enhancing metabolic efficiency of cells, it even removes the damage accumulated over time on cellular components

A lot of neurodegenerative disorders can be reduced to the accumulation of deformed proteins around brain cells, which autophagy is really good too.

The best thing tho, it's to do it atleast once a month, and do short periods (1-3 days) of water fasting, dry fasting should be only done when you're already at a good base health tbh.

• Love it
Reactions: x30001
eat shit autophag
I like my AVI
a friend of mine did some "body clearing" once and got rid of much acne

bUt I nEeD tO bUlK tO bE biiiiiiG mAn

• JFL
17 hours autophagy daily here. Easy life

Never really explained what it is so here's a brief explanation of why it's important.

Q:

Few questions. Would appreciate if you could answer :D

"Achieve Macro Autophagy of the brain"
"Activate Selective Autophagy via ULK1"
How would we benefit from these?

"Activate the NRF2 Pathway"
what does this pathway do?

It's some complicated stuff

A:

Autophagy means "Self Eating". It's basically a process where your body stops focusing on growth and proliferation and instead focuses on "cleaning up". Clearing misfolded proteins, senescent cells, healing wounds. For example, microneedling is a form of autophagy selective to the skin; because you're provoking a response that heals, and fixes small problems.

Caloric restriction is the broad way of entering autophagy. And autophagy can take place in brain cells too, making you think clearer and feel better. That's why a lot of people feel more focused and in a better mood during a fast. With more energy and attention span when working on trivial things.

ULK1 is just 1 of the autophagic pathways which is activated once you starve yourself of amino acids. There's nothing too special about ULK1, but it has benefits like upregulating nutrient sensing etc.

NRF2 is activated during calorie restriction and can be activated in varying degrees; ie: you can get into deeper autophagy and activate NRF2 to a greater or lesser extent, based on how long you fast for.

NRF2 is like one of our survival pathways. When it's activated, your body releases a whole host of anti-inflammatory cytokines. And unlike exogenous anti-oxidants, these endogenous cytokines released via NRF2 are much more potent and practical in terms of cleaning up wounds and corrupted cells; since your body released these specific cytokines itself, to deal with the internal problems at hand. Any normal anti-oxidant pill has a set range of anti-oxidant properties, which won't be totally specific to deal with the oxidative stress that your body needs to handle at any given time.
Interesting benefits I always hear about the "muh growth hormone" or "muh test" which gets antagonised by cortisol during fasting anyway

does a 48-72 hour water fast trigger autophagy to a significant extent?

17 hours autophagy daily here. Easy life
How do you determine when you enter autophagy and what degree of autophagy you enter? You typically don't enter autophagy until after 24-30 hours of fasting and in some cases it can take 3 days to get into autophagy if you have lots of glucose and insulin in your system. The more keto adapted you are, the quicker you can get into autophagy.
Interesting benefits I always hear about the "muh growth hormone" or "muh test" which gets antagonised by cortisol during fasting anyway
Wouldn't worry too much about cortisol during a fast. Try drink salt water if you feel mineral depleted. BDNF will increase in the brain too, which might be the reason why people feel such mental clarity.

Tbh. Fasting + CoQ10 yields some amazing focus/productivity benefits.

How do you determine when you enter autophagy and what degree of autophagy you enter? You typically don't enter autophagy until after 24-30 hours of fasting and in some cases it can take 3 days to get into autophagy if you have lots of glucose and insulin in your system. The more keto adapted you are, the quicker you can get into autophagy.

I also have a low carb diet, idk tbh i just do the fast

I also have a low carb diet, idk tbh i just do the fast
It'll be quicker/easier for you to get into autophagy because you eat a low carb diet.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 2933

Wouldn't worry too much about cortisol during a fast. Try drink salt water if you feel mineral depleted. BDNF will increase in the brain too, which might be the reason why people feel such mental clarity.

Tbh. Fasting + CoQ10 yields some amazing focus/productivity benefits.

Thank you for this high-level info. How much CoQ10 would you recommend and how often fasting? My basic internet search suggests only doing a 24+ hour fast a couple times a year for the sake of autophagy. Do you need the CoQ10 all the time or just during the fast? It's not super expensive but it's not cheap either.

autophagy and fasting is so redpilled ngl

good thread live yourself

lil peep was a good guy, rest in peace

Only thing that worries me is how my body would get the energy from.
You don't want to take energy from the breakdown of your muscles

@x30001

After fasting for around 48 hours I start getting the symptoms of low blood sugar. Generally feeling weak, headaches, drowziness and dizziness. Any idea whay the cause might be and what I could do to stop it?

Only thing that worries me is how my body would get the energy from.
You don't want to take energy from the breakdown of your muscles
Your muscle tissue won't be broken down unless you starve yourself for a very very long time. Our bodies have so much stored glucose and potentially millions of stored calories (xxxK in very lean individuals). Muscle tissue is one of the last places the body will break down when it needs energy. Glucose, stored body fat and ketones are all used all energy when you restrict calories. Transporting glucose to cells to be used as fuel isn't a problem either since GLUT4 vesicles can be recruited as transporters in the absence of insulin through the TBC1D1 pathway we can access through AMPK. TBC1D1 recruits GLUT4 transporters just like insulin does. Our bodies also get a break from insulin and this way we can become more insulin sensitive in future. It's all about proteostasis. Balancing the activation of reciprocal mechanisms and pathways so that we do not over-activate growth pathways that could lead to unwanted growths, whilst ensuring that we maintain homeostatis among our hormonal profiles; which adequate proteostatis will help maintain anyways, unless you deliberately alter your hormones by taking substance(s).

• Love it
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS and IWantToMax
How can I maintain a balance between muscle building and autophagy for skinmaxxing purposes? I like to keep my good skin but I also want to build muscles in an ideal manner by spacing my meals out throughout the day for ideal nutrient absorption. Fasting for a full day isn't really practical just simply due to the fact that the single day will burn more muscle than it needs to, even if it's only a small amount. I'd rather get the protein in.

Any way to accelerate the process due to certain food intakes or does fasting periods of 15 hours or so really help? What do you think about coffee in regards to collagen production? Does it fuck up your skin?

Anyway yeah..lol

• +1
How can I maintain a balance between muscle building and autophagy for skinmaxxing purposes? I like to keep my good skin but I also want to build muscles in an ideal manner by spacing my meals out throughout the day for ideal nutrient absorption. Fasting for a full day isn't really practical just simply due to the fact that the single day will burn more muscle than it needs to, even if it's only a small amount. I'd rather get the protein in.

Any way to accelerate the process due to certain food intakes or does fasting periods of 15 hours or so really help? What do you think about coffee in regards to collagen production? Does it fuck up your skin?

Anyway yeah..lol

Why not do 1, 24 hour fast weekly? You don't have to fast daily.

Why not do 1, 24 hour fast weekly? You don't have to fast daily.

Cuz I want to hit my protein for the day to minimize muscle loss

Do you think, eat my calories for the next day...The day before?? So I have that 24 hour window??

Or will it take too long to digest, to the point where autophagy can't take place??

Cuz I want to hit my protein for the day to minimize muscle loss

Do you think, eat my calories for the next day...The day before?? So I have that 24 hour window??

Or will it take too long to digest, to the point where autophagy can't take place??

You will not get muscle loss if you do a 24 hour fast once a week. Muscle loss occurs after a much longer time.

@x30001

After fasting for around 48 hours I start getting the symptoms of low blood sugar. Generally feeling weak, headaches, drowziness and dizziness. Any idea whay the cause might be and what I could do to stop it?
Your body's Ghrelin and Leptin responses haven't yet adapted to the protocol you're aiming to carry out. It's normal to experience those symptoms when fasting. The more you fast (throughout time), the less adverse your body will react in future, and it'll become more acclimated to the practice. The symptoms of low blood sugar that you feel *are* because you have low blood sugar. Your pancreas isn't used to releasing Glucagon, and might have released too much or too little needed to manage your blood glucose levels right now. On one hand you have TBC1D1 recruiting GLUT4 vesicles to transport glucose to bodily cells that need energy, on the other hand you have Glucagon taking that glucose back out of the cells and into the bloodstream to maintain some level of blood glucose.

Your body is just confused due to a new stimuli, but it'll get used to it in future. The lethargic feeling is in part due to having little or no glucose in your blood, but still requiring it as an energy source because you're not in Ketosis. Since you're not eating, the pancreas cannot produce insulin which is the only hormone which your body is used to for providing cells with glucose.

Your body is just getting familiar with the new process of transporting glucose to cells via AMPK -> TBC1D1 -> GLUT4, but when those cells receive the glucose, and the glucose isn't being used for energy production in those cells immediately, Glucagon transports that glucose back into the bloodstream.

It's creating a sort of ping-ponging effect where your cells and blood need the glucose, but never have it for any constant amount of time because it's just being transported back and forth through two relatively foreign mechanisms that your body isn't yet familiar with.

You will feel better once you get into Ketosis. Then I advise you get into Ketosis from time to time (you don't need to stay on a keto diet for any amount of time). Just make your body keto adapted so it realizes that it can use betahydroxybutyrate for cellular energy and that it's okay to function with lower levels of glucose in the blood, so long as those levels remain stable and aren't spiked up and down.

Breaking a fast with Carbs or anything highly insulinogenic is a bad idea since your body will be in a state of heightened sensitivity to insulin, and will also become confused by all the changes and all the conflicting pathways and hormones which are supposed to only do the same 1 job (TBC1D1 & Insulin).

Anyway yeah..lol
I made a thread a few months ago about "Building muscle and burning fat at the same time as a natty". Was a very experimental/theoretical thread as I didn't know anything about biochem at the time.

I figured that the ideal way to build muscle without experiencing any other effects of mTOR activation (which could promote aging), would be through the Arginine and Leucine back doors.

So you'd restrict calories and enter AMPK. At the time I thought AKT/AMPK was the 2 way switch, but now it seems like it's mTOR/AMPK that's the two way switch.

Leucine is more insulinogenic than Arginine so I decided to focus on Arginine solely. I found that I could activate skeletal muscle protein synthesis through a backdoor through Arginine consumption, without eating any food.

Although the amino acid doesn't have any calories, it still causes an insulin response. Arginine inhibits a "sensor" called CASTOR1 (Cytosolic Arginine Sensor of mTORC1 Subunit 1). Inhibition of that causes a cascade of other inhibitions which leads to the activation of mTORC1 unconventionally, as it's typically activated through the insulin signalling cascade. mTORC1 activates the P70S6K signalling hub which is responsible for protein synthesis. I found that P70S6K activation causes dephosphorlation of Insulin Receptor Substrate at the Insulin Receptor through a process called "Negative Feedback Inhibition" which works using Serine residues.

So at that time I though I managed to find a way to make skeletal muscle protein synthesis possible with AMPK active and AKT shutoff. But back then I didn't realize that activation of any mTOR complex shuts down the AMPK channel, no matter what way the mTOR complex is activated.

Since then I have found 2 other ways to build lean muscle whilst having AMPK active, inhibiting all other syntheses, like fatty acid synthesis and glycogen synthesis; whilst having all the beneficial catabolic processes working in tandem with actual skeletal muscle protein synthesis.

1 way was brought to my attention by another user here and the other way I found myself. The way I found was through looking at the anti-catabolic mechanisms that the SIRT1 Sirtuin gene provides.

The other way is much more ingenious and am really thankful that another user here could bring something of such value to my attention. Although it might not be as all-encompassing as the first way, it's a lot more practical, and allows you to have all mTOR complexes fully active through the conventional pathway, without needing AMPK at all to block some of the unwanted syntheses which I previously thought could only be blocked through activation of AMPK.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: LastHopeForNorman and Deleted member 656