Customized Orbital Decompression to modify IPD

S

Senssei

Iron
I was reading about Orbital Decompression, and its mentioned that the IPD gets on average 1,7mm shorter afterwards (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28130596/), I also read that bimatoprost (latisse) reduced IPD by 2,2mm on average, due to atrophy of the fat wall on the inner part of the orbits, some people even got it shortened by 4mm+ without any bad side effect beside deepening of upper eyelid crease which is incredibly easy to fix (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2451993622002262 ).
That made me think, since the reason OD shortens the IPD is similar to the mechanism that happens with bimatoprost (in OD they remove tissue and bones and then the eye repositions itself), then surgeons could do a modified version of OD where they dont take tissue and bones off all the areas they usually do when the objective is to make the eye go deeper, and instead just remove it from either the inner or outer part of the orbits, depending if the person wants to increase or decrease their IPD. Considering that bimatoprost can safely alter the IPD by 4mm+ by fat atrophy alone, I believe it would be possible to get 5mm+ IPD changes with this modified OD method, which would be far safer and easier to do than Orbital Box Osteotomy.
I suggest someone contact surgeons like Eppley and others and ask them about this possibility.

• +1
Reactions: mvp2v1, zenflix, rooman and 2 others
@RealSurgerymax

• +1
Reactions: RealSurgerymax
@RealSurgerymax
“No you can’t do this. Orbital fat is inside the periorbita and too close to the intraconal area which has the muscles, nerves, and arteries running through it. You cannot liposuction this area.

It’s often reduced under direct vision in orbital decompression surgery (safe for removal by controlled surgery, not blind liposuction)

Because the grafted fat would resorb this would not be a very reliable surgery and might cause other eye problems like enopthalmos.

The concept you are describing is lateralizing the globe within the orbit which is possible through lateral orbital wall bone burring and medial orbital wall bone grafting (or implant.)
D0A79273 11D7 4E7E A009 CA6556F6E466

While either of these might increase IPD a couple millimeters it won’t correct the collection of aesthetic problems that make up the usual close-set eyes look - the main thing being the narrow intercanthal distance. That will require orbital box osteotomies.”

His reply to my thread:

• +1
Reactions: mvp2v1, rooman, lightskinbengali and 2 others
“No you can’t do this. Orbital fat is inside the periorbita and too close to the intraconal area which has the muscles, nerves, and arteries running through it. You cannot liposuction this area.

It’s often reduced under direct vision in orbital decompression surgery (safe for removal by controlled surgery, not blind liposuction)

Because the grafted fat would resorb this would not be a very reliable surgery and might cause other eye problems like enopthalmos.

The concept you are describing is lateralizing the globe within the orbit which is possible through lateral orbital wall bone burring and medial orbital wall bone grafting (or implant.)

While either of these might increase IPD a couple millimeters it won’t correct the collection of aesthetic problems that make up the usual close-set eyes look - the main thing being the narrow intercanthal distance. That will require orbital box osteotomies.”

His reply to my thread:

can you explain in english how to raise IPD besides OBO?

His reply to my thread:

It seems he is wrong after all, another user showed that you can indeed do targeted OD to reduce or increase IPD

• +1
Reactions: peater and Deleted member 1901
Custom orbital implant mogs OD