Eye: Male vs Female

Zygomatic process of temporal bone, as I’ve told you before, is the red:

View attachment 1220519
Sorry, by transverse I meant from the side. In other words, saggital position of the zygomatic bone.

I think supraorbital rim size is mostly determined by prenatal androgen exposure. If you look at guys with prominent rims like DiCaprio or O’ Pry, they had them by middle of childhood.

Most research shows frontal sinus stops developing around age 18.
what determines the length of the zygomatic process of the temporal bone?

Will widening and bringing the zygos forward improve under eye and orbital vector? if not what will

I don’t know about ideal but in terms of masculinity/dimorphism, I’d say Damian Alvarez is up there:

View attachment 1192226View attachment 1192230View attachment 1192231View attachment 1192242
Very High IPD, high PFL, very high cheekbones, high nasal bridge, very prominent supraorbital rims, mildly prominent brow, low, very thick eyebrows with good length, prominent nasal bridge, good degree of PCT, long eyelashes, green color makes them more striking.

When people talk about “hunter eyes”, this is what comes to mind. Only thing that isn’t great is his horizontal cheekbone position or orbital vector.

Other periorbital areas high in dimorphism are O’ Pry, Basso, Gandy, DiCaprio, Salih, Momoa, DiCaprio.

I hesitate to include Barrett due to his weak brow, nasal bridge, and horizontal cheekbone position. Also his IPD and PFL, which would be ideal on a skull with normal width like O’ Pry or DiCaprio, doesn’t harmonize with his wide skull. Same with his eyebrow length.

He does have high cheekbones, nasal bridge, and prominent supraorbital rims, and his eyebrows are pretty thick.
God tier eye area

Although I think his IPD is a bit too wide, esp. in the last pic

His orbital vector and eyelashes could be better imo. And his eyes are a bit too narrow at times imo

1) “Brow ridge is a term used to refer to the glabella and supraorbital ridges.

View attachment 1220260View attachment 1220261
These together form the “brow ridge”.

Supraorbital rim, on the other hand, is below the Supra orbital ridge, and attaches to the zygomatic bone laterally and frontal process of maxilla medially:

View attachment 1220268
2) Supraorbital rim projection is determined by the size of the Supra orbital rim. Large rims are a male dimorphic trait, small are feminine. Again, this is influenced by androgen exposure.

3) Infraorbital rim projection, often measured by orbital vector, is determined by the transverse position of the zygomatic bone, which is in turn determined by the length of the zygomatic process of temporal bone.

4) Ideal canthal tilt is what falls under the average, so for a male that would be 2-6 degrees of PCT.

5) A downswung maxilla or high occlusal plane can rotate the cheekbones down and back, but other than that, it doesn’t influence the above things. You most likely don’t have a high occlusal plane.
So zygos affect the supraorbital rim to what extent? How would moving the zygos laterally and saggitaly affect the supraorbital rims?

And what causess a long zygomatic process of the temporal bone?

Yes. I’d say it becomes feminine once it goes over five degrees. That’s also when the medial can thus begins to look downturned (feminine).

DiCaprio has about 3 degrees of PCT but it doesn’t look very noticeable. Evangeline Lily has about 7-8 degrees.
I have 5 degrees of pct

I still dont get the difference between browridge and supra orbitals
Isnt it the same thing?

• JFL
Reactions: Arditi
I want you to analyze Elias de Poot's eyes in detail, some say his eyes are more feminine.

There a two main differences between the male and female periorbital area: size and protrusion.

Size

Male eyes often appear smaller due to the fact that males, on average, have higher cheekbones and nasal bridges than women.
View attachment 1012285View attachment 1012291

High cheekbones and nasal bridges are also survival traits: high cheekbones means the eyes and brain (as the zygomatic arch is higher) are better protected, high nasal bridge means the eyes are better protected as well.

When the cheekbones are higher, the lateral canthus and lateral portion of the lower eyelid is higher relative to the upper eyelid, making the lateral portion of the eye look smaller as there is less scelera visible. When the nasal bridge is higher, the medial can thus and medial portion of the eyelid is higher relative to the upper eyelid, making the medial portion of the eye look smaller. When both lateral and medial can thi are higher, the entire lower lid is higher.

View attachment 1012293
Brad Pitt has high cheekbones and nasal bridge, and, as a result, his canthand lower lid are higher relative to the upper eyelid, making his eyes look smaller.

Compare that to Angelina Jolie, who has low cheekbones and nasal bridge:

View attachment 1012301
And just to avoid the accusation of cherry-picking pictures:

View attachment 1012302

Protrusion

Male eyes often appear less protrusive or exposed than female eyes, but this difference is an illusion created by surrounding bones.

#1: Glabella/brow ridges

This difference is the most well known. The frontal sinus (cavity behind the glabella) enlarge as a result of testosterone, which makes the glabella more prominent relative to the eyes. This makes the eyes appear deeper set:

View attachment 1012307

vs

View attachment 1012308

#2: Nasal bridge

I rarely see this talked about here, but has a big impact on how deep set the eyes appear. Males tend to have more prominent or protrusive nasal bridges than women, which makes the eyes better protected.

View attachment 1012313
vs

View attachment 1012314

#3: Supraorbital rim

This is perhaps the most favorite but least understood aspect on this forum. The male supraorbital rim tends to be more prominent and extends farther past the eyeball than the female’s. This again makes the eyes better protected and appear deeper set. However, it also plays a big role in how “hooded” the eye is, or how much the upper eyelid is covered by fat. The more prominent the supraorbital rim is, the more forward positioned the fat pad will be relative to the upper eyelid, covering it more with fat.

View attachment 1012322
Compare DiCaprio’s side profile to Winslet’s. Their fat pads are about the same size, but DiCaprio’s Supra orbital rim is much more prominent, and his eyelid is thus more concealed by the upper eye fat pad.

Quick note: brow ridge has no impact on hooding. Upper eye fat pads are located under and slightly behind the Supra orbital rim.

The only factors impacting hooding are supraorbital rim projection and fat pad size/descent path.

Asians tend to have little supraorbital rim prominence, but their upper eye fat pad descends anterior to the upper eyelid regardless of rim projection, most likely as a response to cold environment.

Asian eye:

View attachment 1012328
Prominent supraorbital rim:
View attachment 1012333

There are many ways to spot this difference. Asian fat pad will go straight down as opposed to backward like Barrett’s. Asian eye will appear less deep set as the supraorbital rim is actually lacking prominence as opposed to Barrett’s, which is very prominent. And the eyebrows will be much more forward relative to the eye when the Supra orbital rim is prominent, unless they are so arched that they sit above the Supra orbital rim.

#4: Zygomatic

This one also isn’t talked about a whole lot. Not sure yet if this is a dimorphic trait, but it certainly is a survival trait. “Forward grown zygos” means that the zygomatic process of the temporal is long, thus making the zygomatic more forward positioned relative to the eyeball, which makes the eyeball better protected. Also a youthful trait as the zygomatic process of temporal recedes as we get older, making thepositioned farther back relative to the eyeball.

When this happens, the lateral can thus and lateral portion of the eyelid are more forward to the eye, making it appear deeper set. Also contributes to “positive orbital vector”.

View attachment 1012340

View attachment 1012344View attachment 1012356
Vs

View attachment 1012351View attachment 1012361

#5: Eyebrows/eyelashes

Males have thicker, more dense, lower brows than women, making the eyes better protected. Again, not sure about the dimorphism of eyelashes, but long, thick eyelashes also make the eyes better protected, and are a sign of youth/fertility.

View attachment 1012373View attachment 1012375
Somewhat thick eyebrows can also be attractive on women as they are a sign of testosterone/high sex drive:
View attachment 1012382

#6: Canthal tilt

Forgot to cover this. Females tend to have sharper infraorbital rims. This means the nasal bridge is lower relative to the zygomatic, creating higher degrees of PCT. Male eyes are closer to neutral tilt due to higher nasal bridges.

Male:
View attachment 1012418
Female:
View attachment 1012421

View attachment 1012406
Vs

View attachment 1012409
Since when was bugg eyes pretty