GTFIH programmingcels!

GoldenOrderCels

GoldenOrderCels

prettyboyism
What’s the best language to start learning coding? Python? Or do basics like HTML, JavaScript first? Thanks

• +1
Reactions: thecel
learn english

• JFL
  • +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: reborn, CursedOne, CristianT and 10 others
This depends on what you want to program. Different languages have different capabilities. Tbh no one gives a shit what languages you know, just as long as you approach problems in an effective way. I learned c# first and now I know c,c++ and python too. Python is easiest but it can give you bad programming habits because so much is done for you in python but not in other languages (you may begin to rely on the built in properties within python)

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14392, Deleted member 23017, godsmistake and 7 others
This depends on what you want to program. Different languages have different capabilities. Tbh no one gives a shit what languages you know, just as long as you approach problems in an effective way. I learned c# first and now I know c,c++ and python too. Python is easiest but it can give you bad programming habits because so much is done for you in python but not in other languages (you may begin to rely on the built in properties within python)
Just looking for making money with low effort. 1. step learn programming, then do some wagecucking so I can invest more during bearmarket, and during bullmarket do stuff like whitelist bots or launch NFT collections etc.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: CursedOne and thecel
Just looking for making money with low effort. 1. step learn programming, then do some wagecucking so I can invest more during bearmarket, and during bullmarket do stuff like whitelist bots or launch NFT collections etc.
Your IQ is probably too low

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 6128, Deleted member 23017, ilyess and 3 others
Making 1-2k or more per month doing some remote programming stuff for some boomer business wouldn’t be bad cause it would probably take less time to do than they pay me for

• +1
Learning python is cool, just use a book and actually do it from start to finish rather than sporadic videos

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 23017, thecel and GoldenOrderCels
  • Woah
  • Hmm...
Reactions: thecel and STEVE GAMING
Learning python is cool, just use a book and actually do it from start to finish rather than sporadic videos
Does it have to be a book? Codeacademy or similar websites seem to be more comfy

Does it have to be a book? Codeacademy or similar websites seem to be more comfy
Tbf I only suggested a book cuz they tend to have exercises after the chapters so you can assess how well you know what you've read. But if codeacademy can provide that then its cool, just don't cut corners

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 23017, thecel, szolliontaraelis and 1 other person
python or javascript or java dosent really matter all languages are the same base wise

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15302, thecel, John124 and 1 other person
learn either C,C++,C# or java .

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: thecel and buckchadley31
Why in such a hurry to make money? Just ask your parents for some money
I need to invest more in this bear market. I do have decent money already

• Ugh..
  • +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: thecel, GoldenOrderCels and John124
You're not a real programmer without having programming socks and a buttplug, so invest in that first.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: thecel, John124 and GoldenOrderCels
Just go to school and study comp sci
I’m already in business uni, comp science probably even more boring ngl + no girls and full of nerds

• +1
Reactions: Banderacell and BugeyeBigNoseCurry
I’m already in business uni, comp science probably even more boring ngl + no girls and full of nerds
what was your thought process when choosing business as your uni subject? what made you think it would be a good idea?

• +1
Reactions: GoldenOrderCels
JavaScript in 1st place, Python in 2nd place imo ideally you learn both. Personally I hated Java, C is fine.

Also you should get a CS degree if you want to break into this field.

• +1
  • Ugh..
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deprived, BugeyeBigNoseCurry, buckchadley31 and 1 other person
what was your thought process when choosing business as your uni subject? what made you think it would be a good idea?
Cause I love finance, especially trading crypto and I want to get better at this stuff. It’s kind of a backup plan if crypto shouldn’t make me wealthy

JavaScript in 1st place, Python in 2nd place imo ideally you learn both. Personally I hated Java, C is fine.

Also you should get a CS degree if you want to break into this field.
Do you think I will learn more in Uni? I don’t really like being taught stuff, I rather learn stuff myself

Cause I love finance, especially trading crypto and I want to get better at this stuff. It’s kind of a backup plan if crypto shouldn’t make me wealthy
Why didn't you do Economics? Or accounting or something. Why business :/

Why didn't you do Economics? Or accounting or something. Why business :/
It’s a Economy and Business University

Do you think I will learn more in Uni? I don’t really like being taught stuff, I rather learn stuff myself
It's not about learning stuff, nobody will want to hire you without a degree. Even smart people with degrees struggle to get entry level software developer jobs in the UK

• +1
Reactions: ....
C should be your first programming language.

Tbf I only suggested a book cuz they tend to have exercises after the chapters so you can assess how well you know what you've read. But if codeacademy can provide that then its cool, just don't cut corners
learning how to code from youtube or other sites are a meme tbh

It's not about learning stuff, nobody will want to hire you without a degree. Even smart people with degrees struggle to get entry level software developer jobs in the UK
The last sentence isn’t true at all

There’s way more tech/programming roles than comp sci grads so loads of maths, physics, engineering maybe even chemistry grads end up as developers.

It’s like the opposite of law where there’s barely any training contracts compared to grads

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: GoldenOrderCels, thecel and Erik-Jón
If you teach yourself building a website from scratch to host your resume, you can do what people in the industry get paid for

Server/Infrastructure maintenance
1. Setting up a VPS
2. Installing Debian or whatever backend OS
3. Using package manager to install website deployment & maintenance tools
4. Setting up the /www/ and HTTPS configuration on your server
5. Getting a domain and pointing it to your server

Web Application Development
6. Building a website or webapp (I would recommend learning React JS) and deploying it on your server
7. Adding a secure login component to the webapp
8. Adding a database component to the webapp
9. Integrating an e-commerce platform to your webapp

It will take a lot of trial and error and frustration and reading, etc. But if you can create something like this then there's no reason why you can't be a full stack developer and no reason why you can't just work for yourself if you come up with a good idea.

You can even build you own VPN and cloud storage with a VPS because you can buy servers with public endpoints in different countries and rent out a terrabyte of stage to allow you to grab whatever you want access to. This is something that's obviously intimidating but once you have the competency to do something like this your value as a IT professional is sky high.

This guy created a passive income stream by automating a few payment and print on demand API's. He knows Latin and found some Latin books that aren't typeset well or the English translations aren't typeset well and recreated them with high quality document format (LaTeX). So now until the end of time, if someone wants a high quality copy of any of these books, they will buy from this store and the printing, shipping and customer service is completely automated for all markets globally. He just collects a % profit from the sale. All he has to do is renew the domain and market it. Styxhexenhammer666 before being a youtuber did the same thing but with digitizing occult books at a $1 a piece.

• Love it

There’s way more tech/programming roles than comp sci grads so loads of maths, physics, engineering maybe even chemistry grads end up as developers.

It’s like the opposite of law where there’s barely any training contracts compared to grads
In theory, yes, but getting any grad job isn’t easy. Even people with degrees need to apply like crazy to get jobs.

• +1
<head></head>
<shaft></shaft>
<ball></ball><ball></ball>

What about economy and business university

• +1
Reactions: poopoohead and thecel

I could see why math and physics grads would get recruited. Those grads are often seen as superior and much smarter than comp sci grads, so employers wouldn't mind teaching them the shit.

But most people nowadays (usually without any degrees), think they can just learn a few programming languages and get a job. It doesn't work like that, and if it does, I doubt the career progression would be great.

• +1
Reactions: GoldenOrderCels and thecel
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: GoldenOrderCels and thecel
What’s the best language to start learning coding? Python? Or do basics like HTML, JavaScript first? Thanks
C++ is good for fundamentals. Been doing it for 2 months. But I guess its more important to actually do it so python will be easier to progress in. I would try C++ for 3 weeks if you can't do it because your attention span sucks do python but just know in the future you will need to go back and do that stuff because python abstracts a lot of things.

Python is really easy to understand but it also will not explain more complex things so it might be bad in the long run. But either way starting and being consistent is the most important thing so just try C++ but in 3 weeks make up your mind and stick with something for 2-4 months straight.

Python is easier on paper you will start coding faster but you won't understand why things work. C++ is autistic but every step of the way it will force you to understand why some things exist whereas python just abstracts all the stuff for you.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Racky and GoldenOrderCels
I learned from PHP and HTML :bigbrain:

Used this book to study 15 years ago:

After you grasp the basics like loops, conditionals, etc. every other language is trivial. So choose what you like.

Also if you want a challenge, start with C. :feelsez:

• +1
C++ is good for fundamentals. Been doing it for 2 months. But I guess its more important to actually do it so python will be easier to progress in. I would try C++ for 3 weeks if you can't do it because your attention span sucks do python but just know in the future you will need to go back and do that stuff because python abstracts a lot of things.

Python is really easy to understand but it also will not explain more complex things so it might be bad in the long run. But either way starting and being consistent is the most important thing so just try C++ but in 3 weeks make up your mind and stick with something for 2-4 months straight.

Python is easier on paper you will start coding faster but you won't understand why things work. C++ is autistic but every step of the way it will force you to understand why some things exist whereas python just abstracts all the stuff for you.
Python good enough to land a job?

no lol, I got 2 acquaintances doing that job+ I have experience in trading and am doing business and echonomy bachelor
Have you ever seen interview questions for a "quantitative analyst" position in a good company, like Goldman Sachs?

Does this converge?

:feelshehe:

• +1
Reactions: poopoohead
Pseudocode. Programming languages are just tools. You need to figure out what kind of problems you want to solve. E.g. no reason to learn MATLAB if you want to make video games just as there's no reason to learn C# if you want to work with DCDC convertors for HEVs. Once you have that figured out, you need to assess what tools make solving that particular problem easier to solve. Programming is like 80% thinking and 20% actual code.

• +1
I don't recommend programming. I am a sysadmin and I make way more than a jr. programmer lmao. I do write scripts in python and bash tho, but that's only so I can automate Azure stuff

• +1
I don't recommend programming. I am a sysadmin and I make way more than a jr. programmer lmao. I do write scripts in python and bash tho, but that's only so I can automate Azure stuff
Is it true you can have several jobs simultaneously as a sysadmin?

If you wanna understand "why things exist" then you should learn C tbh.
What makes C++ "complex" is not lack of abstraction but precisely the fact that it offers you a lot of ways to abstract and many different paradigms from OOP to metaprogramming.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: GoldenOrderCels and Deleted member 11126
If you wanna understand "why things exist" then you should learn C tbh.
What makes C++ "complex" is not lack of abstraction but precisely the fact that it offers you a lot of ways to abstract and many different paradigms from OOP to metaprogramming.
Yeah I've only been learning a month in total now should I switch to C its relatively similar anyways?

• +1
Yeah I've only been learning a month in total now should I switch to C its relatively similar anyways?
If you already started and you're 2 months in, stick with C++.

• +1