Gymmax [BEGINNERS ONLY]

Mesmerizing Gigachad

Mesmerizing Gigachad

Iron
Hello my friendly friends, I’ve looked for the gym guide in the archive to see if I could improve upon it and what do you know, there is no gym guide at all, or maybe I could just not find it. So here we go. I am a personal trainer by trade and gymmaxxer myself. This guide won't contain diet information even though that's extremely important as well so maybe I'll write a dietmax guide but for now I welcome questions in the comments.

Disclaimer: I started from being underweight which is really helpful because your body is more keen to pack on muscle mass instead of bodyfat so it allows you to bulk nicely for an extended period of time. But here we go, my results after only 1 year coming from 0.00, 6 months of complete no-life gymmax with 100% adherence followed by 6 months of laid-back casual ~60% adherence:

0KKPFNz.png

k3IuREb.png

There’s a billion things I can tell you about everything related to lifting but I’m going to focus on beginners (little to no experience with serious lifting), the goal being increased aesthetics and the assumption that you have access to a gym where you’re willing to go to twice a week. I will assume you have no serious (physical) injuries. I’m going to keep it fairly light on the references and science because we’ll be here all day, but you can always ask me questions in this topic.

We need to know the following things:
  • What exercises are optimal for our goals
  • How to implement them (reps/sets/exercise order/how much rest/weight/progression/etc.)

Which gym to select
The one that is the closest, but not Planet Fitness.

What exercises are optimal
Our good friend Menno Henselmans has a decent article on exercise selection, if you have some spare time you can find it here: http://www.simplyshredded.com/7-principles-of-exercise-selection.html

However, Menno is also severely autistic, i.e. him mentioning he is a digital nomad every 10 seconds due to extreme neurosis or trying to coin/invent new fitness terminology more often than Lord Byron in a desperate attempt to create a legacy in the fitness industry, while he is but a miserable ant. His beard is also stupid and I know deep down inside he has the beard in an attempt to be more unique, not because he genuinely believes it makes him look better. He has to be a unique snowflake with everything he writes down (if you want a good laugh check out his circadian rhythm article). Can’t blame him, the fitness industry is oversaturated and in order to stand out – while not being completely full of shit – is to latch on to fringe science and interpret it in the edgiest manner possible while still remaining vaguely correct. On top of that he alienates people by using unnecessarily fancy words. I still understand what he means (although I wish I didn’t), but you may not, so I will tl;dr his above article here while omitting some things and adding some stuff of my own.

If you’re wondering why we’re using something of him as a source despite all the critique I just gave him, it’s because the article is genuinely useful. I wouldn’t recommend any other content related to him, unless it is an uncensored video of his gory execution. I have stopped reading his articles for a while now because if I want to read jester manifestos I’ll read some Shakespeare. Not that Shakespeare is particularly good btw, I think the only reason English teachers are obsessed with him is because he writes funny. It probably doesn’t help that you need hundreds of footnotes per sentence to understand the supposed genius of Shakespeare, which tbh is mostly just neuro-atypical callback/meta humor your average incel would try and use to woo Stacey who is of course oblivious and just thinks he is weird. Not that it would have mattered because it was over anyway due to your genetic make-up giving you that face. Anyway I digress, forgive me for bamboozling you with my narcy ranting and making this guide about me and my opinions up until this point, I’m dark triad maxxing. Also fuck Menno.

What exercises are optimal, but this time for real
To find out, we need to define what makes an exercise optimal. In no particular order:

1) Your willingness to do the exercise in the implemented manner
If you do the ‘optimal’ exercise but you completely hate your life while doing it (as in, you hate it more than usual), sustainability is going to become an issue. You’ll stop doing the exercise or make excuses to not go to the gym.

2) Well defined range of motion
I believe push-ups are better than the bench press in most situations, but the issue is that there’s a million ways to sabotage yourself during a push-up and not so many during a bench press. It’s really easy to slightly alter your range of motion, your angle, involvement of muscles (i.e. the ones responsible for moving your scapula), pelvic tilt and so forth, so you can easily be fraudin’ yourself without realizing it and that is a problem. You just don’t have any of these issues with the bench press.

3) Ability to overload
Lets take the bench press and push-up again: with the bench press, you can incrementally add small amounts of weight to a movement pattern that is strictly defined. How are you going to add weight to the push-up? The weight will be displaced over your body and the resistance curve changes as you move yourself through the range of motion, if you even manage to find a reliable way to add weight. You can also fraud yourself during a push-up, which you can’t really do with a bench press.

4) Limiting factor
If you want to train your back but you can’t hold on to the weight long enough to effectively train your back, your grip is the limiting factor and is actually what’s being trained, making the supposed back exercise a grip exercise. Similarly, if you’re standing on an unstable surface (such as a bosu ball) your balance is almost always going to be the limiting factor no matter what exercise you do. If you’re going to do a lot of air squats (air squats = no additional weight), your cardio may become an issue instead of your leg muscle endurance.

5) Most weight possible
You want to be able to lift the most amount of weight while still maintaining the correct technique. Obviously you need to make sure #4 is being met.

6) Low risk of injury
You don’t want to get injured I assume. This point kills things such as upright rows, behind-the-neck-anythings, …,

7) Full range of motion
If there’s multiple variations of an exercise, the one with the most range of motion is usually superior, as long as #6 is being met.

The program
I have done the problem solving for you and have selected the lifts you should do, with the reps/sets/exercise order included, but I can’t do point #1 for you, so I have given you the other factors so you can look for another exercise in case you dread doing it. Look up technique vids for these if you are unsure or ask me in the comments, else this guide will become too long.

This should take you between 60 and 120 minutes to complete, based on how much of a beginner you are (if you just started you’ll breeze through but it gets fairly difficult later on). You’ll be going twice a week – there’s really no need to go more often. Make sure there’s at least 2 days In between workouts, it doesn’t really matter on which days you go but keep in mind that on Mondays there’s usually the most amount of people in the gym.

(90s to 180s rest between sets)
Barbell Back Squat (high bar) 5x5
Stiff-legged Deadlift (SLDL) 3x5
Barbell Hip Thrust (regular) 3x8

Superset these (60s to 90s rest between each set)
(Barbell overhead) press 3x5
Lat pulldown (pronated, 1.5x biacromial width) 3x10

Superset these too (60s to 90s rest between each set)
Bench press 3x8
Seal row* 3x8

Aaaand superset these as well (60s to 90s rest between each set)
Lateral raises 3x15
Barbell curl 3x8

*ideally this is done on a specific seal rowing bench station with a cambered bar, but I’ve never seen these in the wild even though they supposedly exist (I think Rogue Fitness has one?), use a chest-supported machine row instead

On your rest days, do hollow bodies (google: hollow body progression), planks (until you can comfortably hold 2 minute normal lever plank and 1 minute side plank), crunches (add more reps instead of weight each successful workout). These are on your ‘rest’ days because the only thing you need in order to do these effectively is a time keeping mechanism (i.e. stopwatch on phone) and the ground, so no need to add this to your normal workout volume. If you’ve bought bands do some mobility work too.

Start with the barbell on everything except the SLDL, here you will start with 5kg plates (preferably the maximum diameter) on both sides. Every successful completion of an exercise add 1.25kg plates on each side of the barbell, except for the barbell curl and overhead press, where you will add 0.5kg micro plates. If you fail to complete an exercise, go back 2 levels. Examples:

Squat 50kg --> success --> do 52.5kg next time
Squat 50kg --> fail --> do 45kg next time, then continue as normal
Barbell 25kg --> fail --> do 23kg next time, then continue as normal

Although everyone is different you should be settled for 3ish months with this program. Eventually, this will become too hard to do due to too much volume in 1 single workout (for example if you have an advanced person do 5x5 squats and 3x5 deadlifts they are completely done for that session, no way they are doing any other work). You’ll just end up becoming gassed halfway through as well as tired, demotivated and unable to move any useful amount of weight on some of the exercises later in the workout. This is normal – you have now become an intermediate and you’ll need to adjust your workout volume and disperse it across more than 2 days, you’ll probably want to start implementing some different exercises and rep/set schemes as well. But that’s something for another guide.

Stuff to buy yourself, in case your gym doesn’t have it
1) Micro plates
Your gym won’t have these, because no gyms have these, because the people responsible for deciding who gets to decide on the design of their gym have no knowledge about fitness and are purely profit driven, similar to the degenerate capitalistic society we live in. They usually sign a deal with a brand and that brand throws in a bunch of machines from which the majority is useless. One machine can easily be worth more than a barbell + an entire set of plates combined. Hell, some of the newest self-powered treadmills cost upwards of 8k (although I must admit these are really useful, but it still puts things into perspective as a set of high quality weights is not even 1k).

2) Bands
Your gym probably has these, but it’s useful to do mobility work at home (shoulder dislocators). They are good for warming up your rotator cuff, glute medius, stretching etc. – especially good for shoulder dislocators (google this exercise if you haven’t heard about them). You can also do some posture work at home (YWTL raises)

3) Magnet weights
Your gym certainly won’t have these. These are weights that have a strong magnet in them, you can add them to the stack of weights on a (cable) machine or the side of a dumbbell, although this program doesn’t have any dumbbell exercises in it. Be careful with the magnet and any devices that are sensitive to magnets.

Warming up
Watch this video:

but add shoulder dislocators to the list. Don’t bother watching anything else from Jeff Nippard (except technique videos) as it’s too hard to separate unique snowflakiness from advice representative of reality for a beginner. His technique videos are good though.

Good luck, taking questions.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Schönling, ptethisbs, Deleted member 4675 and 7 others
You have really good genetics. This guide won't apply to most people on this forum because most of us have subhuman/below average genetics when it comes to packing muscle and staying lean naturally.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1680
You have really good genetics. This guide won't apply to most people on this forum because most of us have subhuman/below average genetics when it comes to packing muscle and staying lean naturally.

The guide does apply to everyone on this forum, but it's the expected results that can vary dramatically from person to person and you are not guaranteed to look like me. I agree that I have good genetics for aesthetics (not just amount of muscle packed on, but also tendon-to-muscle ratio, muscle shape (i.e. blocky abs) and insertions).

I do believe that this is about as optimal as you can get with a generic guide for the masses though.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4675
COPEMAXING (BEGGINERS ONLY)

• +1
  • Ugh..
Reactions: CyprusGD and Peachy
COPEMAXING (BEGGINERS ONLY)

Unless you are recovering from chemo, are quadriplegic etc. you should be gymmaxxing no matter what. Body halo is real and increases your chances by a little bit. There's also a trick you can do with body halo I'll write a guide on at some later point.

• +1
Reactions: CyprusGD
Unless you are recovering from chemo, are quadriplegic etc. you should be gymmaxxing no matter what. Body halo is real and increases your chances by a little bit. There's also a trick you can do with body halo I'll write a guide on at some later point.
giphy.gif

Eat clen, tren hard, and anavar give up

• +1
Reactions: Kinko
Eat clen, tren hard, and anavar give up

You know I was actually surprised when I saw the steroids guide here. Surprisingly legit, even mentioned HCG. Wouldn't recommend roiding right off the bat though

I would personally advice people to follow GERMAN volume Training routines.

I personally put on 2/3kgs in a months doing it, and I'm not a complete novice

Guide from an actual chad. Pin ASAP

I've been lifting for a while and hit plateau. Will give it a go.

• +1
Reactions: IWantToMax
im going to get a 30k homegym by 2024 and train everyday, until then ill build my base with barbells and dumbells cause my gym has SHIT equip and horrible wobbly benches

• Love it
hmm and where is your muscle mass g? you leanmaxxed well though, gotta give you that.

I personally put on 2/3kgs in a months doing it, and I'm not a complete novice

GVT (german volume training) is not recommended for beginners, and even for advanced people I don't think it's optimal (if using the 10x10 on 40-50% of your 1RM). Can you make gains from it? I mean sure but you can make gains from a lot of things, doesn't mean it's (anywhere near) optimal.

GVT (german volume training) is not recommended for beginners, and even for advanced people I don't think it's optimal (if using the 10x10 on 40-50% of your 1RM). Can you make gains from it? I mean sure but you can make gains from a lot of things, doesn't mean it's (anywhere near) optimal.
I got huge gains, personally in a short span of time. You can't rely on studies, because you don't know whether the guys in the studies went all out or not

I got huge gains, personally in a short span of time. You can't rely on studies, because you don't know whether the guys in the studies went all out or not

Here is a study on GVT https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4663/6/1/7
Here is one on volume https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27433992

This is usually controlled for depending on the study (self reported vs. not self reported), and in most modern research is noted as 'reps in reserve' or 'reps until failure', most of which are pre-established (found in methodology). Exercise science is a bit dodgy anyway compared to for example economics science, and on top of that it is always evolving. Right now it seems like volume is the main driver of hypertrophy, provided the following criteria are met:

1) at least 5 rir (reps in reserve, aka 5 rir = 5 reps away from mechanical failure), preferably 2 to 1 rir
2) at least 50% 1RM

But even about rir there's issues: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/effective-reps/

While it is true that people are different and thus will respond differently to training, it is possible that GVT would be a good way to make gains for some people, although it is hard to imagine 'optimal'. Not that it matters though, it is hard/sometimes impossible to know what is optimal for a person and as long as you are making gains without significantly increasing your risk of injury, I would say: nice going.

• +1
won't see good results training 2 a week tbh
I used to train 3-4 times a week. just changed it to a 6day push pull split.

It should be much more effective.

For beginners training a body part more than twice per week is not worth it on the input vs. output spectrum. You can do 20% of the work and get 80% of the gains, why would you do 80% of the work to up that to 90%? There's even research out there suggesting that it is not worth it for a beginner to train a body part more than once per week due to how long muscle protein synthesis stays elevated in training-naive (untrained) individuals.

For the lack-of-muscle-gain thing, I've heard it's because in ketosis, your body will use protein for energy, rather than for its amino acids. It does seem like a legitimate plan for weight loss, but I can't see its effectiveness for building muscle. Maybe someone can explain? The brain fog thing also makes total sense, as glucose is what your brain primarily runs on..

The ketogenic diet seems very dangerous to me (though it's basically the antithesis of what I follow, so I'm biased...), but I'm no expert. I've read that it works well for people with epilepsy though and know of vegan folks who have put their kids on it for that reason--is that yours too? I just hope you've done your research and know about the precautions. Stay safe, M-H! I sincerely hope you're successful.

Myself, I've been on a high phytoestrogen/low-testosterone diet for several weeks.. I eat a ton of soy and several different phytoestrogenic/testosterone-blocking herbs, and try and keep my fat intake low, so as to keep my T level low, which seems to have been pretty low lately. It's made me lose muscle and my energy level low. My mind seems to be working in different ways (definitely a lot less aggressive), my libido has been lower, and I have mood swings because my hormonal levels are outta whack. Main goal here is to grow breasts.. I can actually tell it's starting to work a bit, lol. :x

Been drinking a lot of coffee to deal with the lower energy.. I know it's not the healthiest plan, but from my research, it's a helluva lot safer than prescription hormones. Been learning some fascinating stuff from studies and peoples' experiences with hormonal qualities of foods/herbs.. Licorice (the real stuff--not red ropes or Twizzlers), for instance, is the only known natural substance that has a direct effect on your testosterone level and can drastically reduce it.. my libido just sank a couple days after introducing it into my diet.

Anyway, I know this isn't the the thread for my trans-related adventures haha, but thought I'd share since some of this might be relevant to you manly-men that like to build a lot of muscle and remain masculine.. in that you'd basically want to do the opposite of what I'm doing, lol.

For the lack-of-muscle-gain thing, I've heard it's because in ketosis, your body will use protein for energy, rather than for its amino acids. It does seem like a legitimate plan for weight loss, but I can't see its effectiveness for building muscle. Maybe someone can explain? The brain fog thing also makes total sense, as glucose is what your brain primarily runs on..

The ketogenic diet seems very dangerous to me (though it's basically the antithesis of what I follow, so I'm biased...), but I'm no expert. I've read that it works well for people with epilepsy though and know of vegan folks who have put their kids on it for that reason--is that yours too? I just hope you've done your research and know about the precautions. Stay safe, M-H! I sincerely hope you're successful.

Myself, I've been on a high phytoestrogen/low-testosterone diet for several weeks.. I eat a ton of soy and several different phytoestrogenic/testosterone-blocking herbs, and try and keep my fat intake low, so as to keep my T level low, which seems to have been pretty low lately. It's made me lose muscle and my energy level low. My mind seems to be working in different ways (definitely a lot less aggressive), my libido has been lower, and I have mood swings because my hormonal levels are outta whack. Main goal here is to grow breasts.. I can actually tell it's starting to work a bit, lol. :x

Been drinking a lot of coffee to deal with the lower energy.. I know it's not the healthiest plan, but from my research, it's a helluva lot safer than prescription hormones. Been learning some fascinating stuff from studies and peoples' experiences with hormonal qualities of foods/herbs.. Licorice (the real stuff--not red ropes or Twizzlers), for instance, is the only known natural substance that has a direct effect on your testosterone level and can drastically reduce it.. my libido just sank a couple days after introducing it into my diet.

Anyway, I know this isn't the the thread for my trans-related adventures haha, but thought I'd share since some of this might be relevant to you manly-men that like to build a lot of muscle and remain masculine.. in that you'd basically want to do the opposite of what I'm doing, lol.
Wrong thread mate?

Training currently 4 times per week doing push pull but i am not sure if I need more volume since I am training for 3 years and not a beginner anymore

can you share your routine?

Training currently 4 times per week doing push pull but i am not sure if I need more volume since I am training for 3 years and not a beginner anymore

can you share your routine?
Day1: Push
Flat bench, Overhead Press, Incline bench,
Tricep pushdown,
Tricep dips to failure to finish

Day2: Pull/Legs
Squats, Deadlifts, Lat pulldown, Bicep curls, Plank,
Pullups untill failure to finish

leg muscles are also mostly push but you'd have to be dumb to do legs on push day since most leg exercises also include back

How do you know if you have good genetics for muscle building? My dad never lifted so I don’t have a lot of pre natal T, my shoulders/calves are 20 inches wide. I only did like 3 to 5 sets one time ever of the bar and got a bump of muscle on my arm that I never had before. Is that a good sign?

How do you know if you have good genetics for muscle building? My dad never lifted so I don’t have a lot of pre natal T, my shoulders/calves are 20 inches wide. I only did like 3 to 5 sets one time ever of the bar and got a bump of muscle on my arm that I never had before. Is that a good sign?
If you're naturally lean and you don't have a short bicep insertion and a gap in your pecs pretty much

Dude there is no fucking way you got that fucking jacked off of 2 days a week

Dude there is no fucking way you got that fucking jacked off of 2 days a week
After like 4-5 months I did 4x/week but this is no longer a beginner workout plan

I cant fucking believe Im actually writing this, but I dont want to go to the gym, I have 2 dumbbels 8kg each and a pull up bar. Should I try to gymcel at home or should I not gymcel at all?

Nah even average ppl can pull this off