High-Frequency PPL Training (2 Programs)

thecel

thecel

narrow-orbits brachy-skull ogre
High-Frequency PPL Training (2 Programs)

I often deal with the issue of poor work capacity in the gym. I go hard on the earlier exercises then get tired and weak on the later exercises. This is why I prefer short workouts. When workout lengths are short, I can train with high intensity on a smaller number of sets and finish the session without getting too fatigued.

In this thread I have 2 PPL splits for gymmaxers who’re like me—lifters who prefer to train to failure, don’t have tons of stamina, and don’t like to stay in the gym for a long period of time in a single session.

Split #1 | High-Freq PPL for LooksLifters

This high-frequency PPL split is for men who train for looks and don’t care a lot about the powerlifting strength lifts.

This split is amazing for packing in higher weekly volumes without the drawback of energy-draining and time-consuming workouts. The below program has 18 sets of lats per week and just 2 lats exercises per pull workout. Short workouts, high total volume.

High frequencies also give individual lifters more liberty to swap out exercises to suit their needs without compromising minimum effective volumes. In a low-frequency split that isolates biceps and triceps each once per week, you’re stuck with these exercises because removing any would mean you lose all your biceps or triceps isolation volume. But in this program, you can replace a triceps isolation exercise with an upper chest fly movement and still have good enough volume on triceps.

Sunday | Push
  1. 3x7 Flat Bench
  2. 3x9 Landmine Press
  3. 3x10 Overhead Cable Triceps Extension
  4. 3x10 Lateral Raise
Monday | Pull
  1. 3x7 Weighted Chin-Up
  2. 3x9 Machine Row
  3. 3x10 Behind-Back Cable Biceps Curl
  4. 3x10 Facepull
Tuesday | Push
  1. 3x7 Overhead Press
  2. 3x9 Converging Chest Press Machine
  3. 3x10 Cable Triceps Push-Down
  4. 3x10 Lateral Raise
Wednesday | Pull
  1. 3x7 Chest-Supported T-Bar Row
  2. 3x9 Neutral-Grip Lat Pull-Down
  3. 3x10 EZ-Bar Spider Curl
  4. 3x10 Rear Delts Fly Machine
Thursday | Push
  1. 3x7 Incline Bench
  2. 3x9 Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
  3. 3x10 Lying EZ-Bar Skull-Crusher < if torso-dominant > | Machine Chest Fly < if arm-dominant >
  4. 3x10 Lateral Raise
Friday | Pull
  1. 3x7 Weighted Pull-Up
  2. 3x9 Cable Row
  3. 3x10 Alternating Dumbbell Curl < if torso-dominant > | Bent-Over Barbell Shrug < if traps lag >
  4. 3x10 Facepull
Saturday | Legs
  1. 3x7 Hack Squat
  2. 3x9 Leg Press
  3. 3x8 Seated Hamstring Curl Machine
  4. 3x13 Machine Calf Raise < if calves are small > | Kneeling Cable Abs Crunch-Down < if abs lack definition >

Split #2 | High-Freq PPL for General Strength and Size Training

This plan mixes lower-body strength lifts into pull and push workouts.

The triceps exercise selection in this is specific to assist the strength lifts; the JM press for the bench press and the French Press for the overhead press.

Sunday | Legs
  1. 3x5 Barbell Front Squat
  2. 3x8 Romanian Deadlift
  3. 3x7 Bulgarian Split Squat
  4. 3x6 Seated Hamstring Curl Machine
Monday | Push
  1. 3x5 Flat Bench
  2. 3x8 Dumbbell Incline Bench
  3. 3x10 French Press
  4. 3x10 Lateral Raise
Tuesday | Pull (Full-Body)
  1. 2x5 ( a few warm-up sets and 2 working sets ) Barbell Deadlift
  2. 3x6 Weighted Pull-Up
  3. 3x10 45º Glute–Ham Back Extension
  4. 3x8 Bent-Over Underhand-Grip Barbell Row
Wednesday | Push
  1. 3x5 Overhead Press
  2. 3x8 Weighted Dip
  3. 3x10 JM Press
  4. 3x10 Lateral Raise
Thursday | Pull
  1. 3x6 Pendlay Row
  2. 3x8 Weighted Neutral-Grip Pull-Up
  3. 3x10 Standing Barbell Curl
  4. 3x10 Facepull
Friday | Push (Full-Body)
  1. 3x5 Flat Bench
  2. 3x5 Barbell Back Squat
  3. 3x8 Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
  4. 3x{6-per-side} Reverse Lunge
Saturday | Pull
  1. 3x6 Weighted Chin-Up
  2. 3x8 T-Bar Row
  3. 3x10 Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curl
  4. 3x10 Bent-Over Barbell Shrug

@Arborist @longjohnmong @Manletmachine @Prettyboy @Fgsfds @ascension! @zharupodrugu @Tonymontana @kumquat @Anchor_Ship

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: beypazarisoda0, zharupodrugu, redmaxx and 3 others
@Anchor_Ship Here’re 2 more 7-day splits for u!

• +1
Reactions: Anchor_Ship
Good program. But you should focus on
  1. 3x10 Facepull
-ING

7018.jpg

• JFL
Reactions: bugeye, Anchor_Ship and thecel
Why so little exercises and why so many sets?

• Hmm...
Reactions: thecel
Why so little exercises

So little exercises—are you talking about the 4 exercises per workout? Short workouts are the point of the split, buddi.

When workout lengths are short, I can train with high intensity on a smaller number of sets and finish the session without getting too fatigued.
Short workouts, high total volume.

why so many sets?

How so many sets?

• +1
So little exercises—are you talking about the 4 exercises per workout? Short workouts are the point of the split, buddi.

How so many sets?
8 seems like a lot, if I don’t workout for a long time it sounds like I’m coping

• Hmm...
  • +1
  • JFL
I’m going full time wagie soon so I think going with a shorter workout plan is a good idea, I’m just scared of leaving gains on the table

• +1
Where in this program does it say 8 sets for 1 exercise? The NxN in the programs is #sets# times #reps#
No where Jfl. Retard moment on my part

• Woah
Is 4 exercises a day really enough? Yesterday I did 30 sets

• Woah
@Glidarn bless us with your wisdom comrade
I would say that doing more than 9sets of a muscle in a work out session is junk volume. Even 9sets can be a lot sometimes in just one workout seesion.

Last edited:
  • Woah
  • +1
Reactions: thecel and Anchor_Ship
I like most of the exercises in this workout but I would definitely skip out on landmine press because of the bad stability

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: zharupodrugu, thecel and Anchor_Ship
@thecel you should stick to one program for some months instead of switching things up if you want to see better gains

• +1
Reactions: zharupodrugu, thecel and Anchor_Ship
There's also no need to isolate different parts of your biceps you should just train them at your strongest point which is at 90 degrees

• Ugh..
There's also no need to isolate different parts of your biceps you should just train them at your strongest point which is at 90 degrees

Do you watch GVS?

@thecel you should stick to one program for some months instead of switching things up if you want to see better gains

I did stick to a program for months, and I stuck to another program for months before that program, and I’m switching it up now to try to get rid of the plateaus.

I post more programs than I can follow. The programs have nothing to do with my own situation; I’m just providing information to the gymmax community.

I like most of the exercises in this workout but I would definitely skip out on landmine press because of the bad stability

The 2-handed landmine press? That’s what I meant. I should’ve specified.

7 days lookslifters and no exercise for spine erector. Basically one of the most important muscles of posterior chain. Just say good buy to healthy spine and hello to lower back pain. Especially from OHP and squats.

• +1
7 days lookslifters and no exercise for spine erector. Basically one of the most important muscles of posterior chain. Just say good buy to healthy spine and hello to lower back pain. Especially from OHP and squats.

Yes. I purposely omitted lower back training in the lookslifters’ program. Lookslifters don’t care about lower back.

In the lookslifters’ program, I chose to not include barbell squats and deadlifts (opted for machines instead) to prevent lower back weakness being a limiting factor in the exercises.

Same reason why the lookslifters’ program has a chest-supported T-bar row whereas the general program has a regular T-bar row. This is deliberate.

However, the cable row does use some lower back.

The general strength and size program trains the lower back and even includes a back extension exercise.

Last edited:
  • Hmm...
Reactions: zharupodrugu
Hyperextensions are really nice for your spinal erectors and hamstrings

• +1
The 2-handed landmine press? That’s what I meant. I should’ve specified.
You should avoid pressing movements where you stand up
Seated presses will give you a much better stimulus

For pressing movements I usually think like this
Converging machine press > Non-converging machine press(like smith machine etc) > Cable Press > Dumbbell press > Barbell Press

• +1
Yes. I purposely omitted lower back training in the lookslifters’ program. Lookslifters don’t care about lower back.

In the lookslifters’ program, I chose to not include barbell squats and deadlifts (opted for machines instead) to prevent lower back weakness being a limiting factor in the exercises.

Same reason why the lookslifters’ program has a chest-supported T-bar row whereas the general program has a regular T-bar row. This is deliberate.

However, the cable row does use some lower back.

The general strength and size program trains the lower back and even includes a back extension exercise.
Keep doing machine squats and stuff because they give a better stimulus
But you should still train your spinal erectors for back thickness and for good posture
I usually do compound lifts(SLDL, RDL, Hyperextensions) for my hamstrings that train the spinal erectors too

• +1
So this is it, no new program's coming tomorrow right

• JFL
So this is it, no new program's coming tomorrow right

@Anchor_Ship

7-Days Low-Volume High-Frequency Program (All Muscles 3X\W)

• +1
This one looks good tbh

• +1