Is a finance major in the US worth it?

D

Deleted member 27148

Platinum
I'm ending high school in a year and I've always had an interest in finance. I know it pays decent (above 75k avg), but is it worth it?

No major for your face

• JFL
Reactions: AscensionMan98
As someone that studied that you have to go to a target school and get good grades.

College is over rated for finance . You can learn financial modeling easily with online
classes and courses.

And it's difficult to enter a financial analyst position immediately as they bitch about lack of experience

All places require experienfe rather then education, so your main routes for recent grades is called

Financial representative or client support representative roles where you work as a support person for a company customer operations stuff and later on a certain client group or niche area.

In the end you would start off at 45-55k depending on cost of living , 45k in low cost of living . After you get liscence you get a 10k pay bill so 55-65k depending on cost of living.

Overtime can be good in phone related roles. But a banking primary role will have little over time .

You could then make the jump to a analyst type role after doing those roles which are easier to break into.

And to skip college all together you can start of as a bank teller , then go to a universal banker ( do sales and teller stuff ), and then a personal banker ( do mainly sales stuff little teller stuff ), and their are variations called relationship banker similiar to that role .

You then would get liscence and work as a private client advisor/associate and then build your book of business . The route is their for sure for 6 figures this way

The only analysts that make the real big bucks usually have computer backgrounds , so very strong data analysis skills. Learn that and you will be unstoppable.

Source- I did finance in uni.

I'm not making that much as I got fired my first job cause I was not doing good, second job I tried a lot harder but still got fired . Now trying again 3rd position in a month. The training is going to be a lot more slowed down from what I understand so I should be good

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 27148
As someone that studied that you have to go to a target school and get good grades.

College is over rated for finance . You can learn financial modeling easily with online
classes and courses.

And it's difficult to enter a financial analyst position immediately as they bitch about lack of experience

All places require experienfe rather then education, so your main routes for recent grades is called

Financial representative or client support representative roles where you work as a support person for a company customer operations stuff and later on a certain client group or niche area.

In the end you would start off at 45-55k depending on cost of living , 45k in low cost of living . After you get liscence you get a 10k pay bill so 55-65k depending on cost of living.

Overtime can be good in phone related roles. But a banking primary role will have little over time .

You could then make the jump to a analyst type role after doing those roles which are easier to break into.

And to skip college all together you can start of as a bank teller , then go to a universal banker ( do sales and teller stuff ), and then a personal banker ( do mainly sales stuff little teller stuff ), and their are variations called relationship banker similiar to that role .

You then would get liscence and work as a private client advisor/associate and then build your book of business . The route is their for sure for 6 figures this way

The only analysts that make the real big bucks usually have computer backgrounds , so very strong data analysis skills. Learn that and you will be unstoppable.

I'm not making that much as I got fired my first job cause I was not doing good, second job I tried a lot harder but still got fired . Now trying again 3rd position in a month. The training is going to be a lot more slowed down from what I understand so I should be good
Good luck in your third job. Would you say that the major itself is tedious/hard to gain? And is it hard to get an internship related to finance in college?

I don't know much about this so sorry for the dumb questions

depends on the school, you want to find one with solid pipelines into "high finance" roles + a well developed alumni bases, search up what target schools are and scrape linkedin to see where your schools alumni ended up

ivies are safe bets, so are elite privates, big 10s/sec/ncaas are solid for a mix of college experience + career opportunities if youre somewhat NT and can network & take advantage of connections you get through frats, clubs, etc

• +1
depends on the school, you want to find one with solid pipelines into "high finance" roles + a well developed alumni bases, search up what target schools are and scrape linkedin to see where your schools alumni ended up

ivies are safe bets, so are elite privates, big 10s/sec/ncaas are solid for a mix of college experience + career opportunities if youre somewhat NT and can network & take advantage of connections you get through frats, clubs, etc
I'm thinking of a state school my first year and then transferring to a better school. If not I'll try to make best of what I have

Good luck in your third job. Would you say that the major itself is tedious/hard to gain? And is it hard to get an internship related to finance in college?

1st summer internships are usually through family connections, but you can hustle and essentially spam email/call small firms with alumni to get paid or unpaid roles

usually high achievers work in wealth management at some bank with a commercial arm, a search fund or some admin/accounting stuff in random companies

2nd and 3rd summer are more structured recruiting, youll learn more about this once you actually enter undergrad

I'm thinking of a state school my first year and then transferring to a better school. If not I'll try to make best of what I have
depends what state school, some have solid business programs and investment clubs

• +1

classes and courses.

this is a terrible route. id rather od med honestyl

my friend went there basically biz and finance you'll start off making peanuts. just code bro lol
I used to code really simple shit but I lost interest really fast. Just not my thing ig

I used to code really simple shit but I lost interest really fast. Just not my thing ig
fair. i don’t actually recommend it, go with me for quant finance with Masters minimum or phd. gonna be seas harder but at least you’ll make top 10-20% income.

classes and courses.

Can you recommend any good worthwhile courses online on finance , business and trading ?

In my school specifically they had tons of weed out courses and difficult courses. Colleges do this to weed out those just wanting to get into a more " easy " field . I took Calculus 1+2 and this statical modeling course. They make you do these excel assignments a lot so you can get relatively proficient with it but its easier to learn all of that at the comfort of your home. And a finance degree itself won't get you anywhere

So Unless you somehow are a top student it will be fairly difficult to get into internships for those " analyst " positions unless you know someone and can do a decent job of financial modeling before hand. To avoid having to gamble going to college and not getting that internship, you can instead find a small business ,work for free and do some financial modeling and some. accounting for them , and then use that to experience to apply for some internship in a bigger company.

But realistically speaking the easiest path to enter the finance world is working for a bank. Apply for a bank teller role or universal banker role in a small local bank.They would be the most willing to let you in. Or you can apply for a phone based customer service role in a bank.

You could then be a client associate for some bank customers , or the bank has some analysts program that you can go for and then go down that path.

• +1
I'm ending high school in a year and I've always had an interest in finance. I know it pays decent (above 75k avg), but is it worth it?
I'll be pivoting from finance, (just the degree), not sure of the sector entirely to something more related to data science and perhaps artificial intelligence. It didn't take me long to figure out that most of the stuff we were learning in the classes was going to be automated by the time we graduated.
I can still enter the finance sector with a Bsc in data science or whatever but it would be the more technical, quantitative back-end (which I expect to play a bigger and bigger role over the coming decade).