on robert de niro

D

Deleted member 21899

Kraken
I watched many interviews with him and it's insane how different he is irl and on screen. Every single time in interviews he would give few words here and there and reply with half-assed sentences like "we did that, it was great", or "it was nice doing that", and then pause... saying nothing of value or any non-obvious insights.

When asked about acting, he had no real insight into his own process, he said that he just does it and he doesn't give it too much thought. Seems like it's all instinctual with him. There's no way you can watch him in Raging Bull without seeing a myriad of complex things happening behind his eyes but he either doesn't have the ability to articulate those thoughts or these things are all happening on an instinctual level for him.

He's clearly extremely intelligent to be able to act so well, but he always seem to struggle in interviews. I wonder if he just refuses to talk about it because he wants the work to speak for itself.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: borismonster, Deleted member 20370, BrahminBoss and 4 others
can u post some of these interviews u speak of?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 21899 and BigJimsWornOutTires
I see a far stronger correlation of intelligence and acting ability with female actors than with male actors. De Niro is a gifted mimic, he isn't particularly intelligent aside from that skill.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 21899, BrahminBoss and Samsepioler
Maybe he just lazy and only do Interviews cuz he has to

• WTF
Reactions: BrahminBoss
beautiful critique man, shed a tear

he either doesn't have the ability to articulate those thoughts or these things are all happening on an instinctual level for him.
Or he just doesn’t think we cattle are worth his insights

i never noticed