PotatoMaxxing: The Easiest Way To Get Lean

WrathOfOlives

WrathOfOlives

Iron
It's no secret that that getting leaner and losing weight requires you to be in a calorie deficit, however you can choose the difficulty level by picking foods with high satiety that will make you feel full.

So what is the GOAT of foods that make you feel full? Potatoes.

Basedino

Not only do potatoes provide great nutritional value, but they are the best at managing a calorie deficit. There have been studies on experimenting with what foods making people feel satisfied after eating and plain boiled or baked potatoes BY FAR beats everything else.

Patatoomaxxing

As you can see, the plain potato absolutely mogs everything else in terms of satisfaction.

I've even found this myself, as I am now trying to get to 10% bodyfat, eating a baked potato with some salad and a protein feels like three times the calories I would get from fried rice, french fries any other normie carb. The amount of calories in a large baked potato is way less than you'd think. Eating one is like tricking your body into thinking it's eaten a three course meal, it's crazy.

Goatedzc

TLDR: If you are trying to get lean and you aren't eating potatoes, you are playing on hard mode for no reason.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: DatNibba11, Deprived, IWantToMax and 9 others
Yep, 1kg of potato have like 700-900 kcal and it is impossible to eat that much. Great food if it comes to kcal.

• +1
Reactions: Deprived and ChristianChad
There's no reason to avoid potatoes in general, but they are a starchy fast carb.
Not a good idea to eat them on offdays, despite calories in calories out mattering the most (CICO)

Body composition wise, it's still much smarter to eat proteins and healthy fats during a cut instead of fast carbs/starches like potato or white bread.
Remember, the goal is to lose body fat, not to lose weight in general (which will include muscle loss).

I wholeheartedly suggest reading the

The Carbohydrate-Insulin Model of Obesity: Beyond ‘Calories In, Calories Out’​

Study by David S. Ludwig. To understand better why it's not the same thing to eat 150 grams of protein on an offday compared to eating 150 grams of sugar, even if they contain the exact same amount of calories.
Remember, you do not want to lose mass - you want to lose body fat while preserving muscle mass!

I do not avoid potatoes. I eat them on workout days sometimes as an alternative carb source to rice.
They also taste good as hell.
But going overboard on them is no different than gorging on sugar, which is awful for cutting and maintaining lean mass.

You never want to have high insulin during a body fat cut. When your insulin levels are sky high, the body will not utilize fat storages for energy; It will utilize the carbs. Insulin also makes the body very susceptible to storing that energy as fat, at the expense of muscle mass!

Ketosis is not necessary, but a huge amount of fast carbs on a cut (especially when you are not working out or exercising) only hinders and slows down your progress.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Ugh..
Reactions: 5'8manlet, Deleted member 19551, Silver and 1 other person
I think meat and low calorie vegetables are the best way to keep insulin spikes down to help you lose weight.

• +1
  • Ugh..
Reactions: 5'8manlet, Deleted member 19551 and ChristianChad
There's no reason to avoid potatoes in general, but they are a starchy fast carb.
Not a good idea to eat them on offdays, despite calories in calories out mattering the most (CICO)

Body composition wise, it's still much smarter to eat proteins and healthy fats during a cut instead of fast carbs/starches like potato or white bread.
Remember, the goal is to lose body fat, not to lose weight in general (which will include muscle loss).

I wholeheartedly suggest reading the

The Carbohydrate-Insulin Model of Obesity: Beyond ‘Calories In, Calories Out’​

Study by David S. Ludwig. To understand better why it's not the same thing to eat 150 grams of protein on an offday compared to eating 150 grams of sugar, even if they contain the exact same amount of calories.
Remember, you do not want to lose mass - you want to lose body fat while preserving muscle mass!

I do not avoid potatoes. I eat them on workout days sometimes as an alternative carb source to rice.
They also taste good as hell.
But going overboard on them is no different than gorging on sugar, which is awful for cutting and maintaining lean mass.

You never want to have high insulin during a body fat cut. When your insulin levels are sky high, the body will not utilize fat storages for energy; It will utilize the carbs. Insulin also makes the body very susceptible to storing that energy as fat, at the expense of muscle mass!

Ketosis is not necessary, but a huge amount of fast carbs on a cut (especially when you are not working out or exercising) only hinders and slows down your progress.
Just pop some carb blocker pills and u be fine, white kidney bean extract

• Ugh..
Reactions: Deleted member 19551
Yep, 1kg of potato have like 700-900 kcal and it is impossible to eat that much. Great food if it comes to kcal.
It is not impossible at all. 300g of potatoes is just an average side dish.
The main reason potatoes are great besides what the OP said is that they are high in potassium and you lose water weight like crazy in the first days of a potatoes only diet(considering you do not salt them heavily).

All things considered, potatoes are ok. No point in demonizing them.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9670
It's no secret that that getting leaner and losing weight requires you to be in a calorie deficit, however you can choose the difficulty level by picking foods with high satiety that will make you feel full.

So what is the GOAT of foods that make you feel full? Potatoes.

View attachment 1725001

Not only do potatoes provide great nutritional value, but they are the best at managing a calorie deficit. There have been studies on experimenting with what foods making people feel satisfied after eating and plain boiled or baked potatoes BY FAR beats everything else.

View attachment 1724999

As you can see, the plain potato absolutely mogs everything else in terms of satisfaction.

I've even found this myself, as I am now trying to get to 10% bodyfat, eating a baked potato with some salad and a protein feels like three times the calories I would get from fried rice, french fries any other normie carb. The amount of calories in a large baked potato is way less than you'd think. Eating one is like tricking your body into thinking it's eaten a three course meal, it's crazy.

View attachment 1725000

TLDR: If you are trying to get lean and you aren't eating potatoes, you are playing on hard mode for no reason.
isnt a large baked potato like 650 cals and 130g of carbs?

isnt a large baked potato like 650 cals and 130g of carbs?

They have a higher glycemic index than even sugar. A great way to ensure your cut fails is to eat a kilo of potatoes daily and keeping your insulin sky high & prevent the usage of body fat stores as energy.

If you want potassium, there are much friendlier sources like broccoli or spinach which will barely effect your blood sugar and have a negligible amount of calories with a much better nutrient profile.

Cooked broccoli has more potassium than potato in 100 grams (by about 20mg). It also has slightly more protein than potato (2g vs 2,8g) despite being a vegetable.
Why do you think bodybuilders live on chicken and broccoli for weeks before competitions?

Harvard Medical School said:
Potatoes don’t count as a vegetable on Harvard’s Healthy Eating Plate because they are high in the type of carbohydrate that the body digests rapidly, causing blood sugar and insulin to surge and then dip (in scientific terms, they have a high glycemic load).

For example, a cup of potatoes has a similar effect on blood sugar as a can of cola or a handful of jelly beans. [2, 3]

Potato is great on a bulk or as workout fuel, but it isn't good during a cut!

Last edited:
  • Ugh..
Reactions: Deleted member 19551
Just pop some carb blocker pills and u be fine, white kidney bean extract
I been reading about these and a couple of sub5s I know take them.

do you have any evidence they work though, and have u had any positive results?

similarly bitter melon extract, chromium picolinate all promise a similar thing, but have u seen them.working ever?

I been reading about these and a couple of sub5s I know take them.

do you have any evidence they work though, and have u had any positive results?

similarly bitter melon extract, chromium picolinate all promise a similar thing, but have u seen them.working ever?
It works for me, i did a test, and did a day without them pills. had significant more water weight bloating, and studies have proven they block up to 66% of complex carbs, which are found mostly in starches. aka potatoes. https://us.myprotein.com/thezone/supplements/what-is-white-kidney-bean-extract-best-carb-blocker/

yeah I use myprotein too.

so u take the pills before every carb heavy meal?
i only do OMAD, i believe its more efficient that way to save money, so i only take 2 pills when i do my OMAD

• +1
Reactions: Chinacurry
i only do OMAD, i believe its more efficient that way to save money, so i only take 2 pills when i do my OMAD
isnt building muscle hard on omad

Potato muncher Anatolian farmer genes :feelsbadman:
@TsarTsar444

• JFL
Reactions: TsarTsar444
i love potatoes i eat them every day