Should I go to my work party or not

looksmaxxtocope

looksmaxxtocope

Cavillpilled
Company is having a Christmas party in 2 weeks and I'm thinking of skipping it. Most people I work with are literally 10-20 years old than me and I've talked to them like 5 times each in total. It's supposed to be good for letting them know you're part of the "team", but they forced me back into the office this month after ending remote work (SWE) and I've fucking hated it again cause so much time wasted on the commute.

I'm thinking of slacking off until I find a new job that lets me work remote again anyways. In office work is utterly retarded in 2022 unless you're like a trades person.

• +1
Reactions: poopoohead
If there is any form of networking/job leverage you can get out of this then yes.

Job events/meets suck, but if you intend to move forward/want a promotion or want to get to know more people and "stick out" they are unfortunately necessary.

If you plan to push for a more senior role and they find out you don't frequent any of their internal events they may use that against you.

In my case, these events are really common in finance and I try to go just for the sake of getting to know people, especially if some of the people are from other companies. The fact that you met someone once means down the road you might be able to message them on LinkedIn and be like "Hey John, I was at the X event and we met briefly .... " and eventually make something out of that.

If you feel like your job is already paying you enough or you won't meet people outside the company then you can just opt out of going.

• +1
Reactions: adotsdot and poopoohead
If there is any form of networking/job leverage you can get out of this then yes.

Job events/meets suck, but if you intend to move forward/want a promotion or want to get to know more people and "stick out" they are unfortunately necessary.

If you plan to push for a more senior role and they find out you don't frequent any of their internal events they may use that against you.

In my case, these events are really common in finance and I try to go just for the sake of getting to know people, especially if some of the people are from other companies. The fact that you met someone once means down the road you might be able to message them on LinkedIn and be like "Hey John, I was at the X event and we met briefly .... " and eventually make something out of that.

If you feel like your job is already paying you enough or you won't meet people outside the company then you can just opt out of going.
another bara banger

• Love it
Reactions: bara
if you want to make partner/senior manager you need to go

if you'll find another job soon, doesn't matter

Yeah go - one way to improve your social skills is to go to social events.

go fast™ moonshine™