The missing link in depression, anhedonia and low dopamine?

Bewusst

Bewusst

dead inside
I think this is often overlooked when it comes to affective disorders. If you're anhedonic, depressed or don't respond to psychotropic medication, there's a high chance you're deficient in folate and/or carry a dysfunctional MTHFR gene variant. About one third of people with depression are folate deficient and high dose L-5-MTHF (the primary biologically active form of folate) in the form of Deplin is commonly prescribed to people diagnosed with depression as an adjunctive therapy. I can personally attest to the effectiveness of L-5-MTHF. (No, I have not been diagnosed with depression or any other kind of affective disorder, but I still experienced anhedonia relief and a markedly amplified sympathetic response to nicotine and caffeine while using quatrefolic and a gradual return to baseline upon cessation.)

L-5-MTHF supports monoamine synthesis and can increase BH4 (tetrahydrobiopterin), which is an essential cofactor for enzymes involved in dopamine and serotonin synthesis (namely phenylalanine, tyrosine and tryptophan hydroxylase). While the underlying mechanism is not entirely understood, existing research suggests that L-5-MTHF increases BH4 indirectly via inhibition of peroxynitrite-mediated oxidation. BH4 deficiency is also implicated in endothelial dysfunction and cardiovascular disease due to uncoupling of endothelial nitric oxide synthase and formation of reactive oxygen species.

How is this relevant for me?

If your diet mainly consists of processed and overcooked foods, you may have impaired neurotransmitter synthesis. MTHFR gene polymorphisms are also very common and if you live in the US and think that your artificially enriched morning cereal has enough folic acid to prevent a deficiency, you're most likely wrong and would benefit from eating more antioxidants and green leafy vegetables or even taking an L-5-MTHF supplement such as quatrefolic (although dietary sources should always be the preferred choice).

Tl;dr:

Folate deficiency and MTHFR gene variants can contribute to anhedonia, low energy, depression and other affective disorders and increasing L-5-MTHF intake via diet or supplementation may improve these conditions.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: try2beme, TsarTsar444, Abhorrence and 7 others
You should provide studies backing up your claims

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard
You should provide studies backing up your claims
All it takes is a quick google search and you'll find everything. Surprised you had the energy to even open the thread if you're that lazy

• +1
Reactions: try2beme, Abhorrence and PointOfNoReturn
This is too intelligent for me to understand

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: TsarTsar444, PointOfNoReturn, MoggerGaston and 2 others
I literally put a tl;dr at the end. This forum is beyond salvation
english is not my main language sorry blud idk what Folate deficiency and MTHFR is

• So Sad
Reactions: Bewusst
Good thread. Makes sense to me, whenever I eat healthy and get 5 fruit+5veg a day, my mental health is much better

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 23558 and Bewusst
the real tl:dr is avoid PUFA cos its probably amplifying this shit 1000 times , i do take b vits aswell tho

Any folate supps you recomend?

the missing link is not being a virgin loser on a blackpill forum

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 23558
the missing link is not being a virgin loser on a blackpill forum
tbh OP could be described as the evolutionary missing link in terms of looks.

(jk love u op, and we look alike...)

Any folate supps you recomend?
Yeah, asparagus and spinach. Preferably organic and locally-grown, because conventionally-grown spinach is usually high in pesticides

Good thread, so it links to the gut microbiome cus people here cope too much with being high t, ive tested for my t and it was 1100ng/dl but still felt like shit most of the time, but since i started fasting and eating accordingly i feel much better.

• +1
Good thread, so it links to the gut microbiome cus people here cope too much with being high t, ive tested for my t and it was 1100ng/dl but still felt like shit most of the time, but since i started fasting and eating accordingly i feel much better.
Having high total testosterone is no guarantee for optimal well-being. I can attest to the benefits of intermittent fasting as well, especially when it comes to mental health

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 27857
good thread

• +1