What language should I start learning

NeedToSucceed

NeedToSucceed

Years without the love of a woman: 5
This semester my courses are easy so I want to try learning a new language. should I learn

French
Arabic (I speak somali and im familiar with arabic alphabet and pronounciation so this wont be hard at all)
Mandarin Chinese (I will need at least 6 years of learning for this)

or should I try getting into coding/computer science. Which one will boost my career the most? Im canadian btw

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5815 and Deleted member 12002
This semester my courses are easy so I want to try learning a new language. should I learn

French
Arabic
Mandarin Chinese (I will need at least 6 years of learning for this)

or should I try getting into coding/computer science. Which one will boost my career the most? Im canadian btw
Actually Chinese would probably be the easiest. The writing system is the only part that would make it hard. That and the tones, which aren't too bad. Grammar's easy as can be though. And grammar is what makes a language truly hard. Only took me about a year of living in China without really trying to study before I found myself speaking at an intermediate level. Couldn't speak a word of it when I got there.

You gotta ask yoursel "why", first and foremost. If you're learning a language just because you think it would be cool it's probably not gonna work. And you don't learn languages. You just get used to them.

Chinese would be easiest to learn, or acquire, because you'll always be able to easily find native speakers to practice with. Doesn't matter where you live, you can always find a Chinese restaurant run by immigrants from Fujian. But unless you're living in certain parts of Canada, or Michigan, you're gonna have a much more difficult time with the other two languages.

Learn Mandarin so u can assimilate faster when the Chinese overlords take over

• JFL
Reactions: Hueless
Spanish is the easiest most spoken language. Mandarin Chinese is the most spoken but it is very difficult to learn and it can take you 2 years of intense studying to become fluent at it, while for spanish, you can become fluent in 3 months of intense studying.

I´ve been learning Norwegian for a while now (2+ years) but really want to learn French so I´m wanting to switch but I´m in too deep now. Gotta finish up this one and then I´ll take on another.

I´d learn French or Spanish as both are widely spoken and sound good. It depends though, with the Chinese economy expanding and China´s global influence increasing the importance of knowing Chinese, especially in business, has risen but it's not anywhere near English so it´d be a nice plus but not essential.

Go with the language you like the most as you´re also most likely to stick with it.

Sign language

If you're canadian and want to boost your career I guess speaking french could help you (3 months of immersion and you will be fluent)

It depends on your major

• +1
Reactions: Foreverbrad