Why PUFA is bad: how high membrane polyunsaturation decreases longevity

Deleted member 6403

Deleted member 6403

Made It Out The Hood
Why PUFA is bad: how high membrane polyunsaturation decreases longevity:

This is probably one of the most interesting papers I've read in a long time . It goes into depth about the danger of PUFA and conncects the dots between PUFA ,membranes ,rate of living theory, life expectancy, and cancer .
They state that PUFA increases lipid peroxidation, yet they still manage to conclude that pufa in membranes is good and a lower metabolic rate increases longevity. So the conclusion is off sometimes but the material in this review is invaluable.

I would advise everyone to read the full study. Especially the parts about membrane fatty acid composition! I have copied the parts that I found most interesting and some conclusions.

1. Rate of living theory doesn't adequately explain maximum lifespan
2. Metabolic rate influences cellular memabrane composition
3. More saturated membranes = longer lifespan
4. Even 5%more PUFA in the membrane means 16x more peroxidative damage
5. The carcinogenic /mutagenic lipid peroxidation end-products can ONLY be derived from PUFA
6. Lipid peroxidation (caused by PUFA) is a self reinforcing process
7. PUFA slows down oxidative metabolism by reducing cytochrome oxidase (amongst others)
8. A cornerstone of the rate of living theory is that increasing size in animals equals a lower metabolic rate . This is true for a very simple reason : "If a mouse increased in size to that of a horse and its BMR increased in direct proportion to the increase in body mass, the horse-sized mouse would need a surface temperature of ∼100°C to rid itself of the heat produced by its BMR (134)."
So to have body temperature of 37° (a little more or less in different mammals) the body MUST slow down metabolism ,because otherwise proteins would start to degrade as in high fever. Which does NOT mean that this "slowing down" of metabolism is what's causing longer lifespan in bigger animals !
9. Especially intraspecific studies have shown that there's a positive correlation between metabolic rate and longevity
10. The lower the peroxidation susceptibility (lower PUFA content = lower peroxidation susceptibility) of the liver and muscle membranes the longer the life span of mammals.

"The differences in the characteristic maximum life span of species was initially proposed to be due to variation in mass-specific rate of metabolism. This is called the rate-of-living theory of aging and lies at the base of the oxidative-stress theory of aging, currently the most generally accepted explanation of aging. However, the rate-of-living theory of aging while helpful is not completely adequate in explaining the maximum life span.

Recently, it has been discovered that the fatty acid composition of cell membranes varies systematically between species, and this underlies the variation in their metabolic rate.

When combined with the fact that 1) the products of lipid peroxidation are powerful reactive molecular species, and 2) that fatty acids differ dramatically in their susceptibility to peroxidation, membrane fatty acid composition provides a mechanistic explanation of the variation in maximum life span among animal species.

This means that saturated and monounsaturated fatty acyl chains (SFA and MUFA, respectively) are essentially resistant to peroxidation while PUFA are damaged. Furthermore, the greater the degree of polyunsaturation of PUFA, the more prone it is to peroxidative damage. Holman (148) empirically determined (by measurement of oxygen consumption) the relative susceptibilities of the different acyl chains (see Fig. 1). Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), the highly polyunsaturated omega-3 PUFA with six double bonds, is extremely susceptible to peroxidative attack and is eight times more prone to peroxidation than linoleic acid (LA), which has only two double bonds. DHA is 320 times more susceptible to peroxidation than the monounsaturated oleic acid (OA) (148).

The peroxidation index of a membrane is not the same as its unsaturation index (sometimes also called its “double bond index”), which is a measure of the density of double bonds in the membrane. For example, a membrane bilayer consisting solely of MUFA will have an unsaturation index of 100 and a peroxidation index of 2.5, while a membrane bilayer consisting of 95% SFA and 5% DHA will have an unsaturation index of 30 and a peroxidation index of 40. This means that although the 5% DHA-containing membrane has only 30% the density of double bonds of the monounsaturated bilayer, it is 16 times more susceptible to peroxidative damage.
1621783593615.png

1621782764921.png

The resulting peroxyl radical is highly reactive: it can attack membrane proteins and can also oxidize adjacent PUFA chains. Thus the initial reaction is repeated and a free radical chain reaction is propagated. Unless quenched by antioxidants, lipid peroxidation is a self-propagating autocatalytic process producing several potent ROS. It can also generate lipid hydroperoxides (124, 335, 336), which are more hydrophilic than unperoxidized fatty acyl chains, and these can thus disrupt the membrane structure, altering fluidity and other functional properties of membranes.

The hydroperoxides and endoperoxides, generated by lipid peroxidation, can undergo fragmentation to produce a broad range of reactive intermediates, such as alkanals, alkenals, hydroxyalkenals, glyoxal, and malondialdehyde (MDA; Ref. 95) (see Fig. 2). These carbonyl compounds (collectively described as “propagators” in Fig. 2) have unique properties contrasted with free radicals. For instance, compared with ROS or RNS, reactive aldehydes have a much longer half-life (i.e., minutes instead of the microseconds-nanoseconds characteristic of most free radicals). Furthermore, the noncharged structure of aldehydes allows them to migrate with relative ease through hydrophobic membranes and hydrophilic cytosolic media, thereby extending the migration distance far from the production site. On the basis of these features alone, these carbonyl compounds can be more destructive than free radicals and may have far-reaching damaging effects on target sites both within and outside membranes.
1621783332162.png

These DNA damage markers are mutagenic and carcinogenic, with powerful effects on signal transduction pathways (217).

Furthermore, they 1) are present in the genome of healthy humans, and other animal species, at biologically significant levels (similar or even higher than oxidation markers sensu stricto) (55), 2) are efficient inducers of mutations frequently detected in oncogenes or tumor suppressor genes from human tumors (254), 3) show increased levels in aged animals (55), 4) can be repaired by nucleotide excision repair systems and metabolized by oxidative pathways (262), 5) correlate with alterations in cell cycle control and gene expression in cultured cells (169), and 6) increase nearly 20-fold with a high-PUFA diet (97).

Thus lipid peroxidation should not be perceived solely in a “damage to lipids” scenario, but should also be considered as a significant endogenous source of damage to other cellular macromolecules, such as proteins and DNA (including mutations). In this way, variation in membrane fatty acid composition, by influencing lipid peroxidation, can have significant effects on oxidative damage to many and varied cellular macromolecules. For example, peroxidized cardiolipin in the mitochondrial membrane can inactivate cytochrome oxidase by mechanisms both similar to hydrogen peroxide and also mechanisms unique to organic hydroperoxides (251).

The variation obvious in Figure 6 is a clear demonstration that the rate-of-living generalization is only a rough predictor of how long a mammal species can maximally live. Its inability to precisely describe the maximum longevity of a mammal suggests other factors are involved in the determination of maximum life span.

"
Intraspecific studies on dogs (333), mice (234, 332), and humans (301) reveal a positive association between maximum life span and mass-specific metabolic rate "

Several intraspecific studies using mice and rats (40, 146, 202, 332, 333) have not observed an inverse relationship between mass-specific metabolic rate and MLSP. Indeed, some of these studies show the opposite of rate-of-living predictions, namely, that mice with high mass-specific metabolic rates tend to live longer than those individuals with low metabolic rates.

The liver mitochondrial membrane PI of mammals is proportional to their MLSP−0.40, which means that a 24% decrease in their peroxidative susceptibility is associated with every doubling of maximum life span. For skeletal muscle membranes, the corresponding value is that a 19% decrease in peroxidative susceptibility is associated with every doubling of MLSP in mammals (i.e., muscle PI is proportional to MLSP−0.30).
1621782828925.png

For example, if fed a diet devoid of PUFA, mammals will synthesize an unusual PUFA, mead acid (20:3 n-9) and accumulate it, together with more than normal amounts of MUFA in their membranes. However, with extreme manipulation of dietary fat composition, it is possible to effect small changes in membrane fat composition.

A low PUFA content in cellular membranes (and particularly in the inner mitochondrial membrane) will be advantageous in decreasing the sensitivity of the membrane to lipid peroxidation and would consequently also protect other molecules against lipoxidation-derived damage.

The studies summarized in Table 5 show that there are many reports of 1) an increase in either PUFA content or PI of membranes with age, 2) an increase in both in vitro and in vivo membrane lipid peroxidation with age, as well as 3) age-related changes in physicochemical membrane properties.

In view of these widespread changes in membrane composition and lipid peroxidation with age, it is of interest that in the senescence-accelerated mouse (SAM) strain, those mice that are SAM-prone (SAM-P mice) have greater levels of the highly polyunsaturated peroxidation-prone fatty acids (both 22:6 n-3 and 20:4 n-6) and lower levels of the less peroxidation-prone PUFA (18:2 n-6) in their membranes, and consequently a greater PI, than SAM-resistant mice (59, 281). SAM-prone mice also show greater degrees of lipid peroxides in their tissues than do SAM-resistant mice (221).

Regardless of the factors ultimately responsible for MLSP variation, there are two traits that are often associated with long-lived species: reduced rates of mitochondrial free radical production and reduced susceptibility of membranes to lipoxidation."

https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/physrev.00047.2006?rfr_dat=cr_pub++0pubmed&url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori%3Arid%3Acrossref.org

• +1
  • Woah
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 1901, Iblamejordan, Growth Plate and 6 others
This study summarizes it pretty well :

On the other hand, endogenous antioxidants are negatively correlated with maximum longevity. The same is true for the rates of mitochondrial oxygen radical generation, oxidative damage to mitochondrial DNA, and the degree of fatty acid unsaturation of cellular membranes in postmitotic tissues. The lower rate of mitochondrial oxygen radical generation of long-lived animals in relation to that of short-lived ones can be a primary cause of their slow aging rate. This is secondarily complemented in long-lived animals with low rates of lipid peroxidation due to their low degrees of fatty acid unsaturation.

Rate of generation of oxidative stress-related damage and animal longevity - PubMed

Comparative studies about the relationship between endogenous antioxidant and pro-oxidant factors and maximum longevity of different animal species are reviewed. The majority of studies on antioxidant supplementation indicate that it can increase mean survival without changing maximum longevity...

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1901, Growth Plate, WadlowMaxxing and 5 others
In this human study they showed that the level of the major lipid peroxidation product malonaldehyde (MA) was 3,6 times higher in human that ate a diet rich in PUFA compared to humans that ate a MUFA-rich diet .

"The average adduct level in the SO diet group was 7.4 +/- 8.7 adducts/10(7) nucleotides (n = 23). This level was 3.6-fold higher than that found in individuals in the RO diet group (P < 0.001). Our results, in conjunction with the mutagenic and carcinogenic properties of MA, thus suggest the interaction of lipid peroxidation products such as MA with DNA as one plausible mechanism explaining the involvement of dietary fat in carcinogenesis."

Determination of DNA adducts of malonaldehyde in humans: effects of dietary fatty acid composition - PubMed

The effects of dietary fatty acid composition on the endogenous formation of DNA adducts of malonaldehyde (MA), the major product of lipid peroxidation, were investigated in humans. A group of 59 healthy individuals of both sexes and different ages was initially fed a milk fat-based diet rich in...

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1901, Growth Plate, xefo and 3 others
@portuguesecel

• +1
Reactions: SkinjobCatastrophe and Deleted member 6403
You should study kinesiology or nutrition if your not in uni yet bro. you could help stop this low T epidemic and figure out how to live for 200 years.
This forum has good shit like this:

And no nazi larping autists either

• +1
Reactions: SkinjobCatastrophe, autistic_tendencies and Deleted member 6403
there’s pufas in everything you’d need to exist society entirely to avoid

Last edited:
  • +1
Good thread, read everything, but I have a question: are DHA and EHA bad as well?
I thought Omega-3s were anti-inflammatory

• +1
Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: ChristianChad, WadlowMaxxing, xefo and 1 other person
Suicide fuel for me im eating walnuts right now

• So Sad
  • JFL
Reactions: Skull Issue and Deleted member 6403
What should we eat then OP? You need fat in your diet

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6403
very based thread

milk + orange juice + cheese + fruits or ldar

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 4612, WadlowMaxxing and Deleted member 6403
PUA is bad, nothing new

• Love it
Reactions: Toth's thot
no, that's obviously a big PUFA
give me some foods I can eat then that don't have "PUFAs"

nuts, fish, chicken, beef, pork?

Any of that fine to eat?

Also olive oil or avocados, is that fine to eat?

• +1
Reactions: xefo
all oils r bad, especially the longer they have been sitting in a bottle and exposed to air. They are highly oxidized and will give u a lot of free radical damage when u ingest it or god forbid cook with it and then eat it. Eating oil and especially fried foods are the worst thing u can do if u wanna preserve aging.

Cook with lard or butter, never ever oil including coconut oil

However, omega 3's are essential for health, u literally need them to survive and biological functions. This is why u should get them thru supplementation in nitrogen sealed capsules to prevent as much oxidization as possible to the oil

• +1

Any of that fine to eat?

low fat fish like haddock

olive oil is okay, I wouldn't have avocado

try and get like two quarts of milk, one quart of OJ at least, make a carrot salad with olive oil, (google it "raypeat carrot salad) it is very good for digestion. maybe have some fruits, I like palm dates. I have like 200g of them, they are high copper and high zinc.

i would also add collagen hydrolysate with the milk, its a really good source of protein, although protein is pretty overrated in general

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4612 and Deleted member 6403
all oils r bad, especially the longer they have been sitting in a bottle and exposed to air. They are highly oxidized and will give u a lot of free radical damage when u ingest it or god forbid cook with it and then eat it. Eating oil and especially fried foods are the worst thing u can do if u wanna preserve aging.

However, omega 3's are essential for health, u literally need them to survive and biological functions. This is why u should get them thru supplementation in nitrogen sealed capsules to prevent as much oxidization as possible to the oil
if you're cooking meat in the oven, do you grease the pan with butter then? I was using coconut oil since canola oil spray is shit

• +1
if you're cooking meat in the oven, do you grease the pan with butter then? I was using coconut oil since canola oil spray is shit
both would be fine, butter or olive oil

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4612 and Deleted member 6403
yeah butter is fine for that. Those non stick sprays are garbage cause they're just oil

just make sure its real butter not margarine, which is just hardened oil and bad too

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Lmao and Deleted member 6403

Any of that fine to eat?

beef, no nuts or fish, limit pork and chicken, make sure you eat sugar along with protein and eat meat with its collagen.

avoid avocados.

and I'd be cautious with olive oil, I'd stick to only cooking with lard and butter.

• +1
beef, no nuts or fish, limit pork and chicken, make sure you eat sugar along with protein and eat meat with its collagen.

avoid avocados.

and I'd be cautious with olive oil, I'd stick to only cooking with lard and butter.
well olive oil can be added to salads, or to dip something in sometimes. I don't use it to cook

• +1
Reactions: xefo and Deleted member 6403

is coconut oil bad to consume at all though? i thought that it had lots of health benefits

• +1
is coconut oil bad to consume at all though? i thought that it had lots of health benefits
coconut oil is very good, olive/coconut/maybe mct are the only oils I would consume

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad, Deleted member 4612 and Deleted member 6403
coconut oil is very good, olive/coconut/maybe mct are the only oils I would consume
also what about eggs? if I cook them with butter is that good?

• +1
DHA/EPA are both toxic.
They are not unless overdosed
They are strict precursors of acetylcholine in all vertebrates brains. :)

40120_2020_227_Fig1_HTML.png

PUFA from vegetables are bad because you would need to eat literally thousands sunflower seeds to absorb that great amount of oil

Results: Children whose mothers had eaten oily fish in early pregnancy had a reduced risk of hyperactivity compared to those whose mothers did not eat oily fish: OR .34, 95% CI .15 to .78, after adjustment for potential confounding factors. Children whose mothers had eaten fish (whether oily or non-oily) in late pregnancy had a verbal IQ that was 7.55 points higher (95% CI .75 to 14.4) than those whose mothers did not eat fish. There were, however, no significant associations between fish intake in pregnancy and other behavioural problems or full-scale and performance intelligence, after adjustment for potential confounding factors.

The association between intelligence and diet at 3.5 and 7 years was examined in 591 children of European descent. Approximately half of the children were born small-for-gestational age (birth weight ≤ 10th percentile). The relationship between IQ and diet (measured by food frequency) was investigated using multiple regression analyses. Eating margarine at least daily was associated with significantly lower IQ scores at 3.5 years in the total sample and at 7 years in SGA children. For all children, eating the recommended daily number of breads and cereals was associated with significantly higher IQ scores at 3.5 years, and those who ate fish at least weekly had significantly higher IQ scores at 7 years than those who did not. The consumption of fish, breads and cereals commeasurable with nutritional guidelines may be beneficial to children's cognitive development. In contrast, consuming margarine daily was associated with poorer cognitive functioning. Further research is needed to identify the nutrients that may underlie this association.

Last edited:

Coconut Oil is virtually impossible to oxidise since it is 91% Saturated Fatty Acids (for comparison butter is 51%, but butter has protective Stearic Acid and also very low PUFA and the rest MUFA which is borderline okay) and less then 1% PUFA. It also has no Cholesterol to be Oxidised (to form Oxyesterols, Cholesterol by itself isn't bad Oxidised Cholesterol is)

• +1
Reactions: xefo and Dainslief
They are not unless overdosed
They are strict precursors of acetylcholine in all vertebrates brains. :)

40120_2020_227_Fig1_HTML.png

PUFA from vegetables are bad because you would need to eat literally thousands sunflower seeds to absorb that great amount of oil
Those are very, very shit studies

• +1
I wouldn't trust Lard,it's very high in PUFA and pork is shit. The Muslims and Jews are right tbh
Butter is okay as it is very low PUFA ( <4% ). Good and fresh unaged and un-oxidised beef Tallow is good as well supposedly

• +1
Coconut Oil is very good yes, very very stable in heat

• +1
giga cope i eat pufas everyday (mainly fish) and never had any side effects except clearer skin

• +1
High IQ bro. Right now I'm desperately trying to lean down to 12%, still got about 20 pounds more to go.

Your thoughts on IMF and throwing in a 3 day water fast every other week? I've read about imf being good for test and water fasting being really good for resetting insulin and other hormone sensitivities as well as the whole autophagy benefits.

Last edited:
  • +1
Your thoughts on IMF and throwing in a 3 day water fast every other week?
As far as I know the only benefits that come from fasting are less gut bacteria activity, other than that it’s metabolic stress

• +1
Reactions: Dainslief and Deleted member 14160