Benzonyl peroxide increases aging

Tai Lung

Tai Lung

Since benzonyl peroxide significantly increases aging (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10383741/)
I will stop using it. What should i swap it into to prevent acne relapse? Currently using sa acid cleansing, duac (benz and clicinamide) and taz.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 50702, One Rep Max, Deleted member 51465 and 5 others
Solution
D
I have read through the whole paper, my opinion is that it is still okay to use. Here is why:

DISC1

This shows that chronic BPO use on its own (without exposure to UV light) dosent have any bad effects, and most of the effects recorded failed to be statistically significant. Importantly, there was no increase in collagen and number of sun burnt cells. This is what they were able to prove BPO use on its own does:
DISC2

Here is...
i use tret idk if thats good

• +1
Reactions: Fiqh
Fuaaaark I need to talk to my derma again now

• +1
Reactions: SeriousAscension and CarrotMaxxer
Ofc this shit dries your skin, it's meant for spot treatment for acne. It's good to use to fuck over acne

I was using it for 6 months all over my face
It is literally designed for spot treatment. For some versions your supposed to wash it off after 15 minutes and some you leave it on overnight.

• +1
Reactions: distance decay
It is literally designed for spot treatment. For some versions your supposed to wash it off after 15 minutes and some you leave it on overnight.
Not really, duac cream needs to be applied all over the face, but for 3 months only.

I have read through the whole paper, my opinion is that it is still okay to use. Here is why:

DISC1

This shows that chronic BPO use on its own (without exposure to UV light) dosent have any bad effects, and most of the effects recorded failed to be statistically significant. Importantly, there was no increase in collagen and number of sun burnt cells. This is what they were able to prove BPO use on its own does:
DISC2

Here is another image, you may have to click it to enlarge the graph. I have highlighted sunburnt cells portion. As you can see, it appears that in all groups 1.5% BPO appeared to cause the least number of sunburnt cells (even lower than 0% BPO) however, this is only statisitcally significant in the No UVB-treated group. Another thing to point out is in the medium exposure UVB group, nothing can be concluded from the effect of different concentrations of BPO within the medium UVB treated group due to the overal of stantard deviation bars. It also shows that UVB causes a much higher increase in sunburnt cells than increasing concentration of BPO.

I have highlighted keypoints that support the safety of BPO in yellow and keypoints that show the changes BPO causes to the skin in blue. However, it should be noted again, that using the highest concentration of BPO does not cause as much damage as the lowest amount of UVB.

This is their conclusion in the paper:

My opinion:
BPO is still safe to use, infact it has some desired effects such as increase in elastin, while it does cause some damage to the skin, most of the parameters measured showed no statistical significance, and for those that did, the lowest amount of UVB caused far more damage to the skin that BPO did.

The fact that some parameters of skin damage increase with BPO and UV light is interesting. I think this is due something they have stating in the conclusion, it is potentially the alteration of anti-oxidant capacity which reduces the skins capability to deal with UV light.

Here are my reccomendations to minimise any concenrs about BPO use:
  • Spot treat instead of applying everywhere
  • Use a wash off solution, i use a face wash with BPO in it, I apply it and then wash it off completely after about 5mins
  • After using BPO face wash/cleanser, apply some form of anti-oxidant to the skin, this can be topical glutathione, vit C, or a antioxidant serum(but these can be more expensive).
  • Use sunscreen

BPO is still a highly effective treatment for acne, it might be worth the trade off for a slighty increased risk of aging(which you are probably not seeing the effects of due to retinoid use helping the skin antiage). Bacteria cannot develop resistance to BPO and the use of BPO stops bacteria developing resistance to antibiotics such as clindamycin.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Tai Lung, distance decay and BrahminBoss
Solution
Tazarotene azelaic acid activated charcoal (For exfoliation) cerave cleanser and cerave moisturizer , urea and petroleum jelly (optional) is what I use

• +1
Reactions: Tai Lung
Tazarotene azelaic acid activated charcoal (For exfoliation) cerave cleanser and cerave moisturizer , urea and petroleum jelly (optional) is what I use
cerave sucks ngl, i just use korean shit instead, gonna look up charcoal tho.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 49130 and BrahminBoss