Causes of hair color changing as we age?

Deltoid

Deltoid

Silver
I’m curious as to why hair color can change as you age. I had really blonde hair up until like 13 years old then it started getting dark.
Me as a young slayer
D4DC29B5 0280 4251 A40B 209A7ED2412E

• +1
Reactions: dogtown and androidcel
your hair turn to white later when you old

your hair turn to white later when you old
No shit, I’m just curious as to why it changes in our younger years.

• +1
Reactions: Nibba
Hormonal balance and melanin change in hit tbh

• +1
Reactions: AspiringChad and Deltoid
I had bright blond hair when I was a kid, then it turned dark/dirty blond.

• +1
Reactions: Deltoid
had dark brown hair since birth :feelsbadman:

I had light brown hair and it turned into dark black.

Exact same thing with me but mines a bit more brown than yours.

I’m curious as to why hair color can change as you age. I had really blonde hair up until like 13 years old then it started getting dark.
Me as a young slayer View attachment 16145
My dad had full white hair when he was 1 or 2 and then it started to get blonde and then black lmao

Your hair color is determined by the amount of natural pigment, called melanin, you have in your hair. Two distinct types of melanin exist — eumelanin and pheomelanin — and the ratio of these pigments guides hair color.

Eumelanin can be further broken up into two flavors: black and brown. Essentially, the more eumelanin you have in your hair, the darker it will be.

Pheomelanin regulates the redness of your hair, similar to the way eumelanin controls the darkness of your hair. The more pheomelanin you have, the redder your hair will be, though the color may not be entirely visible if you also have a large amount of eumelanin as well.

The exact concentrations of eumelanin and pheomelanin in your hair depend on which genes are turned on or off. Importantly, the expressions of the genes responsible for hair color are not constant throughout your life — these shifts in gene expression give rise to the changes in hair color that some kids experience.

Typically, children with dark hair will keep their dark hair into adulthood. But some children with light hair, including towhead blonds, strawberry blonds, dishwater blonds and redheads, see their hair go dark brown by their 10th birthday.

The reason for this change is because the amount of eumelanin in your hair increases as you mature. It's unclear why eumelanin production ramps up (or why those specific gene expressions change) though

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, Deltoid, Kenma and 1 other person
My hair was going gray since 12 yo :dafuckfeels:
It's genetic though. Majority of the men on mom's side was like that.

It's all genetics/evolution. The more north you are the whiter ur hair. That's because with white hair you can absorb more sunlight = more d3, same reason people in the north have white skin and africans have black skin etc. Then it gets darker as you age because you need less d3 and it's a good camo when you would hunt in the woods etc. During hunter gatherer times.

That's why africans should stay in africa.

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero